[comp.os.msdos.programmer] MS-DOS 5.0, aka The Savior

goldberg@iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) (06/01/91)

I've had an opportunity to look at MS-DOS 5.0 (even installed it, but he
made me take it off my disk).  What a nifty thing.

I booted up with a handful of TSR's & device drivers & stuff and STILL had
about 610K free according to mem & chkdsk.

The directory command gives you not just disk free space, but the # of bytes
total in the files you've just listed.  In other words, if you do a DIR *.EXE
it'll show you each .EXE file, the total size of all of them, as well as the
disk free space.  Furthermore, if you add an option (I forget which) it'll
look in all the subdirectories as well...

By the way, it's no hardship that I don't remember the switch...all you need
to do is
C\> HELP DIR
and it gives you a help screen!  Boy am I impressed.

When are they shipping?  I've heard June 10, but there's been some arguement
among those I've talked to.

--
 Adam Goldberg             ! "It's simple! Even a PASCAL programmer could do
 goldberg@iastate.edu      !   it!"

alexande@borland.com (Mark Alexander) (06/01/91)

In article <goldberg.675718898@du248-10.cc.iastate.edu> goldberg@iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) writes:
>I booted up with a handful of TSR's & device drivers & stuff and STILL had
>about 610K free according to mem & chkdsk.

DR-DOS 5.0 can also do this trick.

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (06/03/91)

goldberg@iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) writes:

>I've had an opportunity to look at MS-DOS 5.0 (even installed it, but he
>made me take it off my disk).  What a nifty thing.

[much raving about a brain-damaged OS omitted]

So now they're only a couple of years behind the shareware authors.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu