[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Which keyboard is it?

roy@shark.cs.fau.edu (Roy Levow) (06/10/91)

I need a method for telling within a program whether the keyboard on an
MS-DOS machine is an old-style keyboard or an enhanced keyboard.  C or
asm code preferred.

Thanks in advance.

dmillar@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Derek Millar) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.142922.12444@cs.fau.edu> roy@shark.cs.fau.edu (Roy Levow) writes:
>I need a method for telling within a program whether the keyboard on an
>MS-DOS machine is an old-style keyboard or an enhanced keyboard.  C or
>asm code preferred.
>
>Thanks in advance.

f you have an AT or PS/2 machine, you can use  BIOS services 16h/5h and
16h/10h to write extended key codes into the keyboard buffer and read them
back.  If they come back, you have an extended keyboard
P.S. sorry if this post doesn't work--I'm just learning the program.
  (and this editor)