[net.travel] Transatlantic Airfare Question

nxn@ihuxm.UUCP (Dave Nixon) (02/01/85)

Are there any experts on transatlantic airfares out there? Currently,
the standard advance purchase non-stop round trip fare from Chicago to
London (Heathrow) is 709 dollars (travel midweek in April).  The same
fare in the UK, but starting from London, is 379 pounds, or 425 dollars
at the current exchange rate (1.12). I understand that the carriers have
applied to raise the UK fare by 25% which would make it 531 dollars, but
that's still 178 dollars cheaper.  Unfortunately, they won't let you buy
a London-Chicago-London ticket and then fly the other way.  Is there
anything inherently more costly in travelling from Chicago first rather
than London (:-), or is this just the regulations? Are there any plans to
deregulate this route?
It's almost cheaper to fly one way in both directions. If I were travelling
regularly, it would definitely be worth flying one way Chicago-London,
and then buying successive round trip London-Chicago-London tickets even
after the 25% hike.
I know that it's possible to fly to London much more cheaply on a charter
or cut rate carrier like Peoples Express, but they all involve changing
flights, and all fly into Gatwick, which is much less convenient for me.
Any gems of wisdom out there?

Dave Nixon	AT&T Bell Laboratories	..!ihnp4!ihuxm!nxn

srradia@watmath.UUCP (sanjay Radia) (02/05/85)

> Are there any experts on transatlantic airfares out there? Currently,
> the standard advance purchase non-stop round trip fare from Chicago to
> London (Heathrow) is 709 dollars (travel midweek in April).  The same

Are you sure of this. Fares from Canada are $579 Canadian non-stop return
to Heathrow. This requires 21 days advance booking.
In general fares in Canada are more expensive than in the US.
I know that TWA offers a $375 (or there abouts) from New York to London
if you are willing to travel on a short notice of two days and during this
time of the year I am pretty sure that you would have no problems getting
seats.
--

		sanjay
		UUCP:	...!{ utzoo,decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!watmath!srradia

johna@haddock.UUCP (02/07/85)

> ..the standard advance purchase non-stop round trip fare from Chicago to
>London (Heathrow) is 709 dollars (travel midweek in April).  The same
>fare in the UK, but starting from London, is 379 pounds, or 425 dollars
> at the current exchange rate (1.12).

Airfares are priced based on the country of origin.  It is usually
cheaper to buy two one way tickets (US->UK, UK->US).  This fact is
not known by many, including travel agents, but is perfectly legal.
Tickets for UK->US flights can be purchased in the US at the UK rate.

				  ...!decvax!ima!johna

elf@cylixd.UUCP (Leonard Bottleman) (02/08/85)

In article <11310@watmath.UUCP> srradia@watmath.UUCP (sanjay Radia) writes:
> Are there any experts on transatlantic airfares out there? Currently,
> the standard advance purchase non-stop round trip fare from Chicago to
> London (Heathrow) is 709 dollars (travel midweek in April).  The same

You might want to contact a travel agent. I just bought TWO round
trip tickets from New York to Heathrow for ~830 dollars (PAN AM).
The total cost of airfare from Memphis to London for two people was
about 1130 dollars, which is about 565 dollars each. You can probably
do better than that from Chicago, since a large part of the cost for me
was to get from Memphis to New York!

				Leonard Bottleman
				RCA Cylix, Inc.
				Memphis, TN

				..!ihnp4!akgua!cylixd!elf

"Look there, vampires!"

"Oh, crumbs! Help! Oh, eck! Somebody do something! Oh, elp! Mommy!"

"That's it, Penfold, don't show them you're scared."

shaprkg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Bob Shapiro) (02/10/85)

In article <140@cylixd.UUCP> elf@cylixd.UUCP (Leonard Bottleman) writes:
>In article <11310@watmath.UUCP> srradia@watmath.UUCP (sanjay Radia) writes:
>> Are there any experts on transatlantic airfares out there? Currently,
>> the standard advance purchase non-stop round trip fare from Chicago to
>> London (Heathrow) is 709 dollars (travel midweek in April).  The same
>
>You might want to contact a travel agent. I just bought TWO round
>trip tickets from New York to Heathrow for ~830 dollars (PAN AM).
>The total cost of airfare from Memphis to London for two people was
>about 1130 dollars, which is about 565 dollars each. You can probably
>do better than that from Chicago, since a large part of the cost for me
>was to get from Memphis to New York!

   Careful on your advice. Most of the major airlines are currently running
specials to London BUT they require you to leave prior to April 1. I believe
the original comment said that the travel was in April.

   The intent of the original article was to point out that fares from the
US to overseas are not the same as overseas to the US. In that respect the
writer is correct. The problem is a little tricky sometimes. e.g. Unless you
are going on one-way fares it still may not be as good as a round-trip fare.
Also certain countries require proof of a round-trip ticket in order to obtain
entry. This is typically not true in non-communist European countries.  Since
you buy the ticket at a foreign currency you are subject to fluctuations in
the conversion rate if you want a refund. This might make or lose money for
you. Some countries have special taxes for fares bought in their countries. So
the money you save can be completely eroded in taxes.  Certain promotions for
discounts are only good for tickets out of the USA. I think the TWA Poleroid
discount is an example.

   HOWEVER, it is free to ask. So whenever you are going overseas, you should
check out the possibility that buying your return ticket in the currency of
a foreign nation might save you money.

			Bob Shapiro