[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Intel 386 C

doug@proto.com (Doug Huffman) (06/14/91)

coy@ssc-vax (Stephen B Coy) writes:
>In article <1234@ocsmd.com> glenn@zeus.ocs.com (Glenn Ford) writes:
>>
>>Has anyone used INTEL386 C?  It is supposed to make 386 executables
>>that don't need a DOS extender!  It apparently wraps its own
>>DOS extender into the executable!  Sounds too good to be true?!
>[...stuff deleted...]
>your application upon linking.  The DOS extender will recognize up
>to 16Mb of extended RAM and can be set up to use up to 4Gb of disk
>space for virtual memory.  Perhaps the nicest thing about the DOS
>extender is that Intel requires NO royalties for distribution of
>executables unlike Phar Lap and Ergo.  The DOS extender is DPMI
>compliant which means that it runs just fine under a Windows DOS box
>when you're in 386 enhanced mode.  Speed wise, the impression I've
>[...stuff deleted...]
>some reason which I haven't looked into yet.  Price wise, compared
>to Watcom 386 and a DOS extender and royalties you just can't beat
>the price of the Intel package.

Zortech is now advertiseing a DOS extender without royalities with their
C/C++ compiler.  It is DPMI, VCPI, and 'vanilla' DOS compliant (I don't
believe the Intel one is VCPI compliant).  Also of interest is that it
is VERY small.  To a "Hello world" program it adds about 10K compared
to 'large memory model' program, a 100K large model program will normally
show a size reduction.

Almost all the standard library functions in the Zortech library
'just work' no fuss, no muss (a couple of bios_ functions are missing,
along with spawn() and exec()).  This means your interrupt driven mouse
code, graphics, direct screen I/O, etc work the same as in the more
conventional memory models.

This extender comes with the Developer's Edition 3.0 which includes
everything you need to develop for MS DOS, MS Windows (SDK isn't required
anymore), and OS/2.  Also included is a royality free 286 DOS extender.

Package price is about $600 via mail order houses, about $700 direct
from Zortech.

>discalimer:  I have no connection with Intel except for a $500 hole
>in my Visa card.

disclaimer: I have no connection with Zortech except they bought the
distribution rights to the 386 DOS extender from me.

doug@proto.com

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (06/14/91)

Two questions:
1) Is Intel's compiler DPMI 0.9 or 1.0 compliant?
2) Are you SURE the Zortech's dos extender is DPMI compliant?
2a) If so, again, 0.9 or 1.0?
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

dj@ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.231255.7781@proto.com>, doug@proto.com (Doug Huffman) writes:
> >>Has anyone used INTEL386 C?  It is supposed to make 386 executables
> >>that don't need a DOS extender!  It apparently wraps its own
> >>DOS extender into the executable!  Sounds too good to be true?!
> >[...stuff deleted...]
> >your application upon linking.  The DOS extender will recognize up
> >to 16Mb of extended RAM and can be set up to use up to 4Gb of disk
> >space for virtual memory.  Perhaps the nicest thing about the DOS
> >extender is that Intel requires NO royalties for distribution of
> >executables unlike Phar Lap and Ergo.  The DOS extender is DPMI
> >compliant which means that it runs just fine under a Windows DOS box
> >when you're in 386 enhanced mode.  Speed wise, the impression I've
> >[...stuff deleted...]
> >some reason which I haven't looked into yet.  Price wise, compared
> >to Watcom 386 and a DOS extender and royalties you just can't beat
> >the price of the Intel package.
>
> Package price is about $600 via mail order houses, about $700 direct
> from Zortech.
>
> >discalimer:  I have no connection with Intel except for a $500 hole
> >in my Visa card.

*I* can beat the Intel price . . .

For those of you that can't handle holes in your Visa card, you can
always get my GCC/G++ 32-bit compiler for NO CHARGE.  You can wrap the
extender in the executable, handle up to 128M physical/128M paging,
and the sources come with it (take *that*, Intel!).  You can avoid
royalties if you choose to follow the GNU GPL conditions, or opt for
the very minimal royalty schedule.

Supports himem.sys, but no vcpi or dpmi (yet).

To get via anonymous FTP:

  grape.ecs.clarkson.edu  pub/msdos/djgpp

To get via MAIL:

  mail archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu
  Subject: <none>
  help
  index msdos/djgpp
  send msdos/djgpp readme

To get via mail order ($150 for six floppies, manuals, support):

  Austin Code Works
  11100 Leafwood Lane
  Austin TX 78750-3464
  1-512-258-0785

DJ
dj@ctron.com

jwbirdsa@amc.com (James Birdsall) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun13.231255.7781@proto.com>, doug@proto.com (Doug Huffman) writes:
>Has anyone used INTEL386 C?  It is supposed to make 386 executables
>that don't need a DOS extender!  It apparently wraps its own
>DOS extender into the executable!  Sounds too good to be true?!

   It's OK. It's not perfect. The DOS extender is bound into the
executable, so the final runnable result is just one piece.

>The DOS extender will recognize up
>to 16Mb of extended RAM and can be set up to use up to 4Gb of disk
>space for virtual memory.

   No. It will use up to 32M of RAM. Maximum virtual memory is 256M.

>Perhaps the nicest thing about the DOS
>extender is that Intel requires NO royalties for distribution of
>executables unlike Phar Lap and Ergo.

   True.

>The DOS extender is DPMI
>compliant which means that it runs just fine under a Windows DOS box
>when you're in 386 enhanced mode.

   Unless you're trying to do floating point. Windows presently blocks
the interrupt their floating-point emulator needs to see in order to
function. If you have a coprocessor, it should work OK though.

   Note that it isn't compatible with QEMM, 386^Max, and other such
VCPI compliant software. However, it is supposed to work with QEMM/386^Max
if you're also running Windows at the same time.

--
James W. Birdsall   WORK: jwbirdsa@amc.com   {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!jwbirdsa
HOME: {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!picarefy!jwbirdsa OTHER: 71261.1731@compuserve.com

doug@proto.com (Doug Huffman) (06/15/91)

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:

>Two questions:
>1) Is Intel's compiler DPMI 0.9 or 1.0 compliant?
>2) Are you SURE the Zortech's dos extender is DPMI compliant?
>2a) If so, again, 0.9 or 1.0?

1)  I can't find my brochure on Intel right now so I don't know for sure
that they even make a claim one way or the other.

2)  Well... since I wrote it I'm as sure as anyone is likely to be (without
blind faith).  It passes the Zortech compiler and runtime library test
suites while running under Windows 3.0 in all modes (therefore:  It is
DMPI 0.9 complaint), you can hook hardware and software interrupts with it
under Windows, etc, etc.  Any specific test you have in mind?

2a)  I just got the 1.0 spec the other day.  I don't see any thing that looks
like a problem after my first couple of passes through the spec.  I don't
have a 1.0 host to test it with -- yet.

doug@proto.com

doug@proto.com (Doug Huffman) (06/17/91)

jwbirdsa@amc.com (James Birdsall) writes:

>In article <1991Jun13.231255.7781@proto.com>, doug@proto.com (Doug Huffman) writes:
>>Has anyone used INTEL386 C?  It is supposed to make 386 executables
>>that don't need a DOS extender!  It apparently wraps its own

James, you make it look like you were quoteing me directly... I was quoteing
someone else...

>>The DOS extender is DPMI
>>compliant which means that it runs just fine under a Windows DOS box
>>when you're in 386 enhanced mode.

>   Unless you're trying to do floating point. Windows presently blocks
>the interrupt their floating-point emulator needs to see in order to
>function. If you have a coprocessor, it should work OK though.

Zortech's DOS extender (which I wrote) doesn't have this problem.  In fact
most of the development was done on a machine without a coprocessor and
all the floating point code (as well as nearly all the Zortech C library,
extensions and all) work just fine with all combinations of Windows modes,
coprocessor, VCPI, etc, etc.  The design philosophy was: "it should just
Work".  By the way... the floating-point interrupt isn't the only bug-a-boo
in Windows, in my more candor moments I express words (not fit for polite
company) to the effect that Windows 3.0 isn't compliant with the DPMI spec.

>   Note that it isn't compatible with QEMM, 386^Max, and other such
>VCPI compliant software. However, it is supposed to work with QEMM/386^Max
>if you're also running Windows at the same time.

I believe Zortech will be the first to ship a DOS extender that is DOS, VCPI,
and DMPI compliant (correct me if I'm wrong).

doug@proto.com
uunet!proto!doug

doug@proto.com (Doug Huffman) (06/19/91)

I wrote:

>feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:

>>Two questions:
>>1) Is Intel's compiler DPMI 0.9 or 1.0 compliant?
>>2) Are you SURE the Zortech's dos extender is DPMI compliant?
>>2a) If so, again, 0.9 or 1.0?

>1)  I can't find my brochure on Intel right now so I don't know for sure
>that they even make a claim one way or the other.

I just called Intel's "FaxBACK Information Service" and got document #9902
(call 800-525-3019 from a Touch-Tone phone).  In that document they claim
"The Code Builder DOS Extender conforms to the DPMI (DOS Protected Mode
Interface) specification version 0.9..."

The 1.0 spec requires all 0.9 conforming programs to work with 1.0.  So there
shouldn't be any problems in this regard (same applies to the Zortech DOS
extender).

Also see an ad for it in the July 1991 issue Dr. Dobb's Journal (page 53).
Also see an ad for the Zortech Compiler and DOS extenders in the same
magazine page 27.

--
uunet!proto!doug
doug@proto.com

antonio@qualcom.qualcomm.com (Franklin Antonio) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun17.000940.14512@proto.com> doug@proto.com (Doug Huffman) writes:
>I believe Zortech will be the first to ship a DOS extender that is DOS, VCPI,
>and DMPI compliant (correct me if I'm wrong).

You are wrong.  I recently bought a copy of the Phar Lap 286 DOS Extender,
and it is DOS, VCPI, DPMI complient.  One big disadvantage of Phar Lap is
that distribution of software which uses the extender is not royalty-free
as the Zortech stuff is.

doug@proto.com (Doug Huffman) (06/20/91)

antonio@qualcom.qualcomm.com (Franklin Antonio) writes:

>In article <1991Jun17.000940.14512@proto.com> doug@proto.com (Doug Huffman) writes:
>>I believe Zortech will be the first to ship a DOS extender that is DOS, VCPI,
>>and DMPI compliant (correct me if I'm wrong).

>You are wrong.  I recently bought a copy of the Phar Lap 286 DOS Extender,
>and it is DOS, VCPI, DPMI complient.

I meant (but neglected) to say a 386 DOS extender that is DOS, VCPI, and
DMPI compliant.  With that qualification how do I stand?
--
uunet!proto!doug
doug@proto.com