[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Zortech C/C++ 3.0

osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun13.231255.7781@proto.com>, doug@proto.com (Doug Huffman) writes:

> Zortech is now advertiseing a DOS extender without royalities with their
> C/C++ compiler.  It is DPMI, VCPI, and 'vanilla' DOS compliant (I don't
> believe the Intel one is VCPI compliant).  Also of interest is that it
> is VERY small.  To a "Hello world" program it adds about 10K compared
> to 'large memory model' program, a 100K large model program will normally
> show a size reduction.
>
> Almost all the standard library functions in the Zortech library
> 'just work' no fuss, no muss (a couple of bios_ functions are missing,
> along with spawn() and exec()).  This means your interrupt driven mouse
> code, graphics, direct screen I/O, etc work the same as in the more
> conventional memory models.
>
> This extender comes with the Developer's Edition 3.0 which includes
> everything you need to develop for MS DOS, MS Windows (SDK isn't required
> anymore), and OS/2.  Also included is a royality free 286 DOS extender.
>
> Package price is about $600 via mail order houses, about $700 direct
> from Zortech.
>
>>discalimer:  I have no connection with Intel except for a $500 hole
>>in my Visa card.
>
> disclaimer: I have no connection with Zortech except they bought the
> distribution rights to the 386 DOS extender from me.
>
> doug@proto.com

Sounds great! Perhaps it is the candidate to chooce for casual programmers
for accessing large memory in their programs. Still some questions:

Q1: When you say it is DPMI, VCPI, and 'vanilla' DOS compliant, does this
mean that the programs compiled with it are also? And can you compile
a program which is DPMI and VCPI compliant at the same time or do you need
to compile different versions for each case?

Q2: What kind of improvements there is in the integrated developing
environment? I have only read some test saying Zortech is nice but Borlands
environment is better -- not seen Zortech compiler yet. Ie. is it also for
beginners?
(There is some people who stick with QuickBasic until there is
an easy integrated 32 bit C with good graphics support and documentation
because eg. Borland C++ is not an answer for them).

Q3: Is it possible to write inline assembler code like in Borland and
Microsof products? If not what to use with it if there is a need for some
lines of assembler code? (Perhaps the novice has got an assembler listing
what does exactly what (s)he wants and (s)he is afraid of even thinking
to use separate XYZ assemler package which nobody has heard about.)
I am interested of the 386 extender version.

Q4: In OS/2 version, how is it possible to manipulate SuperVGA's registers
 --for example if I need to choose another graphics card's clock frequency
and do not understand how to make drivers?

Q5: When OS/2 2.O is available can I use Zortech compiler for 32 bit OS/2
code? (Before Borland?)

Q6: Is there support for XGA in graphics libraries? Complete list of
graphics support would be nice!

Q7: ANSI? According Computer language's May C issue the 2.18 version had
some minor problems with Plum Hall tests. How does 3.0 survive?

Q8: How tested, buggy, stable,...

Thanks in advance

Kari Osmoviita          osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi

disclaimer: I have almost no connection with (32 bit) C programming
except testing that some compilers were not yet easy enough for QuickBASIC
programmers for whom among others I am trying to choose one common tool.

doug@proto.com (Doug Huffman) (06/20/91)

osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

>Q1: When you say it is DPMI, VCPI, and 'vanilla' DOS compliant, does this
>mean that the programs compiled with it are also? And can you compile
>a program which is DPMI and VCPI compliant at the same time or do you need
>to compile different versions for each case?

There is a version of the compiler that is compliant, and you can create
applications that are compliant (the -mx memory model).  The same
application will run under all three environments completely transparent to
the C/C++ programmer (the assembly language programmer can get in trouble
when attempting to access real mode DOS and BIOS services).

>Q2: What kind of improvements there is in the integrated developing
>environment? I have only read some test saying Zortech is nice but Borlands
>environment is better -- not seen Zortech compiler yet. Ie. is it also for
>beginners?
>(There is some people who stick with QuickBasic until there is
>an easy integrated 32 bit C with good graphics support and documentation
>because eg. Borland C++ is not an answer for them).

I've never used anyone's 'environment'.  I use a text editor, MASM, MAKE,
and the Zortech librarian and linker.  I use the Zortech compiler when
running parts of the test suite.

Call Zortech or send email to support@zortech.com for information on ZWB.
I've never used it.

>Q3: Is it possible to write inline assembler code like in Borland and
>Microsof products? If not what to use with it if there is a need for some
>lines of assembler code? (Perhaps the novice has got an assembler listing
>what does exactly what (s)he wants and (s)he is afraid of even thinking
>to use separate XYZ assemler package which nobody has heard about.)
>I am interested of the 386 extender version.

I use MASM.  Pharlap's 386ASM also works with it.  There is some support for
inline assembler but I don't think it's as extensive as some other vendors.
I don't use the compiler much (just for testing) contact support@zortech.com
for more details.

[... questions I can't answer deleted...]

>Q8: How tested, buggy, stable,...

Quantitatively I don't know how to answer this...

Various portions of this release been in alpha and beta for several months.
We have a test suites that has been extensively expanded for this release.
Each of the developers (for the environment, the compiler, the graphics,
the DOS extender, etc, etc) is responsible for creating and maintaining their
own test suite and doing regression testing.  Tech support runs the examples
from the manuals through.  The stated intention at the developers meetings
was to stress quality over new features in this release.  I know that many
features were cut so that the time could be spent on bug reports.
--
uunet!proto!doug
doug@proto.com

joe@proto.com (Joe Huffman) (06/20/91)

osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

>Q4: In OS/2 version, how is it possible to manipulate SuperVGA's registers
> --for example if I need to choose another graphics card's clock frequency
>and do not understand how to make drivers?

The OS/2 Flash Graphics library doesn't support Super VGA.  It is possible
to do directly access the I/O ports however.  You create a module that is
stated to have I/O privledges in the .DEF file.  See your OS/2 documentation
for details.  Or buy the source code to FG.

>Q5: When OS/2 2.O is available can I use Zortech compiler for 32 bit OS/2
>code? (Before Borland?)

It is Zortech's intent to support 32 bit OS/2.  The release date is not
available at this time.  What is Borland's release date?  We'll try to
beat it!  :-]  Do they have a 32 bit compiler running yet?  Zortech's has
been out since January...

>Q6: Is there support for XGA in graphics libraries? Complete list of
>graphics support would be nice!

Not yet.  Send email to fg@proto.com (an alias for me) for detailed
information on FG such as this.  It varies depending on whether you are
talking OS/2 or UNIX (EGA/VGA mostly) or DOS and extended DOS (extensive --
including Super VGA and TIGA).

--
uunet!proto!joe
joe@proto.com