[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Problems with TC++ tech support

cmascott@world.std.com (Carl Mascott) (06/05/91)

I'm having some problems with Borland Tech Support for
Turbo C++:

1.  Borland claims to provide tech support via mail, but
    for all intents and purposes they don't.  A letter I
    mailed on May 3 hadn't even been entered into their
    system on May 20 when I called to check.  When they
    found the letter sitting on a secretary's desk I
    asked when I could expect a reply.  They said they
    didn't know, but not for at least a week.

    If Borland takes a month or more to answer a letter
    then one may as well forget about trying to obtain
    tech support via mail.

    When I complained in writing to Borland about this
    situation I got a prompt and polite reply which
    effectively said "We sympathize with you.  We're sorry we
    can't be more helpful, but we can't be more helpful."

    If one were to use an on-line service for tech support,
    as Borland suggested to me, one could quickly spend an
    amount exceeding the cost of Turbo C++.

2.  People with Internet access can report bugs to
    bugs@borland.com.  I reported several this way.  I asked
    for confirmation and for some idea of when (or if) the
    bug would be fixed.  I got no response.  Borland's
    official policy is not to respond to ANY reports/requests
    made to bugs@borland.com.  This is extremely discourteous,
    not to mention unhelpful.  If I cooperate with them then
    they should cooperate with me.

3.  In telephone conversations with tech support I did find
    out that some of the bugs I reported were already known
    to Borland.  I then asked when or if these bugs were going
    to be fixed.  I was told that Borland's official policy is
    not to give out such information.

    I wonder if there will EVER be any bug fixes for Turbo C++
    now that Borland C++ is out.

At this point I'm ready to give up on Borland tech support.
Turbo C++ might as well be an unsupported product.  Because of
the lack of support I would not consider using Turbo C++ for
any important work.
--
Carl Mascott
cmascott@world.std.com

coates@uc780.umd.edu (06/06/91)

I made a call to Borlnad Tech support about BC++ bombing when in the IDE and using a mouse. They took 15 minutes to answer and I was on long distance from the
East coast. The tech said he would call 2 days later to check back after
I did some experimenting, no such luck.

*                   Elliott Coates, Washington DC                     *
*                       coates@uc780.umd.edu                          *

sorrow@oak.circa.ufl.edu (06/07/91)

In article <6JUN91.13282690@uc780.umd.edu>, coates@uc780.umd.edu writes:
>I made a call to Borlnad Tech support about BC++ bombing when in the IDE and using a mouse. They took 15 minutes to answer and I was on long distance from the
>East coast. The tech said he would call 2 days later to check back after
>I did some experimenting, no such luck.

I will have to speak up here and defend Borland tech support (sort of).  With
the experiences that I have had, I can say that they are adequate.  My first
call (to get bc20p1.zip) I was rudely dismissed by a jerk who wouldn't let me
get it without a serial number (I was at home and my stuff is at work), and he
couldn't even let me have it with my name (it's not like I haven't bought 500
bucks of software from them or anything).

I called back immediately, got a new person, and she let sent it out the very
next day.

The next time I called, I was having the mouse bomb my IDE with BCX.  The guy I
spoke to was highly knowledgable and helped out a lot.

The next time I called, I asked a question about heapcheck(), and this guy put
me on hold 20 minutes then told me he didn't know.

So, 50% of the time they've been good.  The way I see it, if you have a
problem, just remember the person's name and call right back.

Brian
/*
Brian Hook -- MS-DOS Programmer for Contract
"I was in the kitchen, Seamus, that's my dog, was outside....and buried
ALIVE....fritter and waste...but this one goes to 11!....anymore of that
plutonium nyborg?....SNOW TIME!....This is home...this is Mean Street..
*/

gary@neptune.ctc.contel.com (Gary Bisaga x4219) (06/08/91)

In article <00949BB5.C436F920@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU>, sorrow@oak.circa.ufl.edu writes:
> In article <6JUN91.13282690@uc780.umd.edu>, coates@uc780.umd.edu writes:
> >I made a call to Borlnad Tech support about BC++ bombing when in the IDE and using a mouse. They took 15 minutes to answer and I was on long distance from the
> >East coast. The tech said he would call 2 days later to check back after
> >I did some experimenting, no such luck.
>
> I will have to speak up here and defend Borland tech support (sort of).  With
> the experiences that I have had, I can say that they are adequate.  My first
> call (to get bc20p1.zip) I was rudely dismissed by a jerk who wouldn't let me
> get it without a serial number (I was at home and my stuff is at work), and he
> couldn't even let me have it with my name (it's not like I haven't bought 500
> bucks of software from them or anything).
Unfortunately, I don't think that is an unusual response.  I have talked to several
companies "support" people who flatly refused to let me do anything until I gave
them that precious serial number.

ahodgson@athena.mit.edu (Antony Hodgson) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun5.125406.5713@world.std.com> cmascott@world.std.com (Carl Mascott) writes:
>I'm having some problems with Borland Tech Support
>
>1.  Borland claims to provide tech support via mail, but
>    for all intents and purposes they don't.  A letter I
>    mailed on May 3 hadn't even been entered into their
>    system on May 20 when I called to check.  When they
>    found the letter sitting on a secretary's desk I
>    asked when I could expect a reply.  They said they
>    didn't know, but not for at least a week.
>
>    If Borland takes a month or more to answer a letter
>    then one may as well forget about trying to obtain
>    tech support via mail.

On the three or four occasions when I've used mail to report bugs and
ask questions, it's taken 3 to 8 months to get a reply.  This is
obviously hopelessly inadequate for "real-time" work.  On the flip
side, they do respond almost instantaneously to questions submitted
on Compuserve.

>2.  People with Internet access can report bugs to
>    bugs@borland.com.  I reported several this way.  I asked
>    for confirmation and for some idea of when (or if) the
>    bug would be fixed.  I got no response.

I got an automated acknowledgement, but haven't heard anything further
from Borland about the status of the bug I reported.  It seems the only
practical way of getting tech support is via Compu$erve :-(.

Tony Hodgson
ahodgson@hstbme.mit.edu

juan@cgh.cgh.com (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun12.130713.9438@athena.mit.edu> ahodgson@athena.mit.edu
writes:

 > On the three or four occasions when I've used mail to report bugs and
 > ask questions, it's taken 3 to 8 months to get a reply.  This is
 > obviously hopelessly inadequate for "real-time" work.  On the flip
 > side, they do respond almost instantaneously to questions submitted
 > on Compuserve.

Reporting bugs by mail is not a good idea. One of the reasons is that I gather
that the tech support group considers bug reports sent by mail to be the
lowest priority possible (if you're willing to trust your report to the USPS,
you must not be in much of a hurry for an answer). I will forward your comment
to Borland's tech support mgr and see what he says about this.

 > It seems the only practical way of getting tech support is via
 > Compu$erve :-(.

Not quite. :) GEnie has a very extensive Borland forum, with a staff that,
though not so big as the CIS forum, does an excellent job.  We're all
volunteers over here, donating our time to help Borland users. Our library
contains upwards of 2k file entries now, and our specialty is source code,
tons of it, for all the language products. We also support all the application
products. It's also cheaper. To get an account dial, 1-800-638-9636.

Juan Jimenez               (Internet: juan@cgh.cgh.com)
GEnie Borland RoundTable   (GE Mail: J.JIMENEZ)