[comp.os.msdos.programmer] LRH - Dos5 LoadHigh as an EXE

jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi (JP Koivisto) (06/18/91)

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) writes:

>Hmm. Yeah, it took me a while to realize that loadhi was an INTERNAL
>command. (Gee, no wonder it doesn't work in a 4dos shell!). Unfortunately,
>by not including a external executable, you can't load hi
>in config.sys. So now were back to QEMM...

>Somebody want to try to write dos 5.0 loadhi as an executable?

Well, I did just that.  I call it LRH - for Load Real High -
as it is 'improved' from the internal LoadHigh.

I have THREE blocks of upper memory B000-B7FF CC00-DFFF AND
F800-FDFF (yes, in the midlle of BIOS.  Almost all Nokia micros
have a 'hole' somewhere around there...)

I wanted better control of WHERE in the UMB-area to load my stuff
AND I wanted to set my environment variables first thing in my
AUTOEXEC, so the LRH also makes the loaded programs to have NO
environment at all - can save a lot of memory in the UMB area!

It also works for loading programs in the LOW memory (below 640k)
as it moves itself to JUST below 640k before running the next
program (almost all done 'safely' using INT21 calls).  Also,
it lets me load LanManager NETWKSTA in UMB AND makes it use
EMS if I have reserved D000-DFFF for EMS.  (By default NETWKSTA
ignores EMS if enough UMB is available, so...)

I don't yet know if I'm allowed to make it public as nobody
in our company knows about it (yet :-)!

jpk	- JP KOivisto, Nokia Data OY, Helsinki, Finland
---
EMail:	jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi

jnelson@plains.NoDak.edu (Jim Nelson) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun18.083844.8894@davasun.data.nokia.fi> jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi writes:
>nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) writes:
>
>>Hmm. Yeah, it took me a while to realize that loadhi was an INTERNAL
>>command. (Gee, no wonder it doesn't work in a 4dos shell!). Unfortunately,
>>by not including a external executable, you can't load hi
>>in config.sys. So now were back to QEMM...
>
>>Somebody want to try to write dos 5.0 loadhi as an executable?
>
>Well, I did just that.  I call it LRH - for Load Real High -
>as it is 'improved' from the internal LoadHigh.

Well, my solution was simpler.  I just put the following in my autoexec.bat:

command /c loadhi whatever.ext

Works fine for me.  If you are having problems with devicehigh in your
config.sys, then put the shell=c:\4dos etc line after your devicehigh
statements.  That way, 4dos will get loaded after your devices.

---
	Jim, in the Land of the Lost.
disclaimer:  I disclaim nothing.  However, I claim nothing.

Warning: These are probably opinions.  I'm probably not supposed to have any.

--
.sig?  What .sig?  Ohhhh, *THIS* .sig.

	Jim, in the Land of the Lost.
disclaimer:  These are just opinions.  If you want 'em, you can have 'em.