[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Northgate Omni/Plus Bounce Problem

vail@tegra.COM (Johnathan Vail) (06/17/91)

I just bought a Northgate Omnikey keyboard and find it has a problem
with keystokes bouncing.  The repeat-rate is horrendously fast too.

I bought it as a demo and only got a copy of the Ultra book which has
different settings.

Can anyone tell me what the switches on the back do?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, jv

"I'm insanely jealous of the spiders in your path" -- RH
 _____
 -----  jv@n1dxg.ampr.org {...sun!sunne ..uunet}!tegra!vail

robinson@knuth.MTSU.EDU (David Robinson) (06/19/91)

In <2397@atlas.tegra.COM> vail@tegra.COM (Johnathan Vail) writes:

>I just bought a Northgate Omnikey keyboard and find it has a problem
>with keystokes bouncing.  The repeat-rate is horrendously fast too.

>I bought it as a demo and only got a copy of the Ultra book which has
>different settings.

>Has anyone else had this problem?

We have several of the Northgate Omnikeys and experienced (I guess, from
your description) the same problem.  In our case the keyboard seemed
super-sensitive.  I could strike a key once and I would get several
keystrokes on the screen.  Sometimes, I'd hold down an arrow key for
three or five seconds and the thing would lock and would keep repeating
the arrow command until I hit the opposite arrow key.  I called
Northgate and explained that I was getting multiple spurious repeats
with a single keystroke.  The person I talked to allowed as to how this
was a known problem and that I needed a replacement controller card.
The catch is, I had to get the vendor I bought the keyboard from (we
specified the Omnikey as part of a system bid package.) to request the
new controller.  Northgate won't deal with the end user.  Fortunately,
we have a pretty good relationship with the vendor so I was able to call
'em and ask them to order the new controller cards from Northgate.  They
did, and Northgate sent them with no problem.  The new controller cards
are real easy to install (especially if you have an electric screwdriver
:-)  I sent the old controller cards back to Northgate.  Problem solved.

The DIP switches on the back have nothing to do with the problem.  Call
Northgate, or your dealer.

David Robinson                            robinson@mtsu.edu
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, Tennessee 37132

mark@hermesa.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (06/20/91)

I solved my Northgate keybounce-then-fail-while-I'm-doing-a-hardware-upgrade
problem by stomping it vigorously and hurling it with great force into
the dumpster.  I could have been a little hasty; the silly thing was heavy
enough to serve as a softball bat or self-defense tool.  You could kill an
unsuspecting intruder with it.

I now have a $69 Keytronics with which I'm quite pleased.
--
Mark McWiggins
mark@hermesa.uucp

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (06/21/91)

There are two problems with the northgate keyboards.  One is a ROM problem.
We upgraded past 6.04 (6.05?) and several of the weird happenings went away.

The other is that some keyboards have a resistor pack cut off that should
be there.  The new keyboards we have have the resistors and have no
bounce problems.

jamesp@world.std.com

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (06/24/91)

mark@hermesa.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:

>I solved my Northgate keybounce-then-fail-while-I'm-doing-a-hardware-upgrade
>problem by stomping it vigorously and hurling it with great force into
>the dumpster.  I could have been a little hasty; the silly thing was heavy
>enough to serve as a softball bat or self-defense tool.  You could kill an
>unsuspecting intruder with it.
*----
I solved my problem by calling the factory.  They sent out a replacement
controller board for do-it-yourself installation, though I could have sent
the keyset in if I had preferred.  This applies only to newer models, but
the fix was free in my case.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

goldfish@concour.cs.concordia.ca (Paul Goldsmith) (06/26/91)

|-----------------------------------------------------------------
|David Robinson                            robinson@mtsu.edu
|Middle Tennessee State University
|Murfreesboro, Tennessee 37132

I called up Northgate and after a substantial wait on the phone they
eventually sent me a replacement card with idiot proof instructions.
The keyboard was fixed in about ten minutes and the bad card was in
the mail real quick.

My complaint is that Northgate should consider revamping their quality
control a bit, since the bouncing keys should be detectable and it
shouldn't be necessary to take two trips for an obvious problem.
Also, I have bought three products in the last five years directly
from manufacturers and in all cases, found it for MUCH less from a
mail-order or local suppliershortly after.

Northgate assured me that the $149.00 US for the keyboard was the best
and only available price.  with exchange, duty, brokerage, etc ... it
landed on my PC for $250 Canadian (approx) and about another $30.00
for long distance phone calls, shipping costs etc on the replacement
board.  I found it in a store for $150.00 Cdn. a week after I ordered
it, which proves that you should never believe someone when they use
the word "exclusive" since it usually only means "more expensive".

I must say that the OMNI-Key is one of the best five keyboards I have
ever used (the Apollo keyboard fills at least the first four places by
itself) and it is easily the best PC keyboard available.

A technically superior product, however, the several comments about
defective controller boards suggests that Northgate should clean up
their quality control act and test their VERY expensive keyboards
before they leave the factory. At those prices, they should work
out-of-the-box.
--
--	  Paul Goldsmith
<goldfish@concour.cs.concordia.ca>				 (514) 848-3031