[comp.os.msdos.programmer] <None>

paul@slhisc.uucp (Paul Tam) (10/01/90)

Sender: Paul Tam
I have a question of how to check the status of a parallel
printer. In my application, I used ROM-BIOS printer service
which is int 23 (hex 17) and the service number is 2 which
is to get printer status. I make use of the 6 bit (Acknowledgment
from printer bit) to determine if the printer is on-line or
off-line. However this method doesn't seem to be working because
this Acknowlegment bit is always off even when the printer is
on line.

Am I using the correct way to check printer status ? Did I misunderstand
the meaning of this Acknowledgment ? Is there any better way to
check the printer status.

My compiler is MS C 5.1. and hope someone out there can help me with
this

pack@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Robert Todd Pack) (11/28/90)

Subject:Help with Ghostscript 2.0
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 22:52:12 GMT

I finally got my hands on Ghostscript and got it running on my MS-DOS
system.  It will display ps files on my ega display perfectly and
seems to work fine in every respect, except that the files it
generates for my Deskjet printer don't work.  Has anyone out there
built Ghostscript so that it will work with a Deskjet printer?
Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.  Please
E-mail all replies to pack@theory.tn.cornell.edu.
		-Thanks R.T.P.

4224_5205@uwovax.uwo.ca (12/07/90)

I am looking for an easy way to write Ad-Lib sound
and music drivers for a game I am writing, and I have
all the information I need to support my Sound-Blaster
card's digitial sound record/playback interrupts, and I can
record and play sound through it quite easily, but
as for writing a theme-song, I am stuck

What tools exist for writing and playing music with AdLib's
through an application package? (also CMS, Sound/Game Blaster
cards and compatibles!)

As well, does anyone know how I could use the data
from the SoundBlaster's digital files to play (weakly
at best) through the PC's internal speaker? I
want something at least slightly better than the
meagre bloop-bloops I can get with the TurboC
"beep" command.

Please send MAIL, and let me know of any anon-ftp sites
where I can grab some of this stuff, or where to find
it if it is commercial software. (ie magazines, stores)

Thank you muchly!

--
  ,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
_' WARREN            -- COMPUTER SCIENCE, 2ND YEAR     '_

fechuny@itsgw.rpi.edu (felix chung yau) (02/18/91)

Subject: Re: Procomm + 2.0 Script execution problems

   I recently upgraded to Procomm+ 2.0.  While the new features in version
2.0 are nice, I have encountered a problem when running a script file.  The
script file switches from com3 to com1 and then connects to the data link I
have setup.  The problem is that procomm does not drop the DTR signal on the
com3 port and as a result the script does not work.  The same is true when
going from com1 to com3. I thought it could be something in my setup but
no change in the setup fixed it.  I did notice, however, that doing a manual
port switch by using Alt-P does drop the DTR properly.  Since the script
file scheme to switch ports worked on version 1.1b I can't help but wonder
if it is the software.
   Can anyone help me with this problem?  Thanks.

ziemniak@buster.cps.msu.edu (Terrence M Ziemniak) (02/23/91)

From ziemniak@buster.cps.msu.edu Fri Feb 22 12:04:17 1991
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 12:04:15 EST
From: ziemniak@buster.cps.msu.edu
To: manager@buster.cps.msu.edu
Subject: Formatting
Cc: ziemniak@buster.cps.msu.edu

I need to copy disks for my old Epson computer(which I don't have with me).
I can copy the disks onto a 3.5 inch using DOS but when I try to copy
from that
back to my 5.25 inch I am getting disk errors.  I assume that these errors
are do to the different format of the CP/M O-S my machine uses.  The
format for the machine is defined as 10 sectors/track, 512 bytes/sector,
and 2 system
tracks.  If anyone knows how I can format my disks to those specifications,
where I can find a machine to do the straight copy on, or any relevant
info please drop me a line ASAP.

iga@vector.msk.su (Igor V. Semenyuk) (03/18/91)

SUBSCRIBE comp.graphics
--
+-------------------------------+-------------------------------+
|       Igor V. Semenyuk        |   "Too many systems, eh?..."  |

gregg@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Theodore Gregg) (03/21/91)

\ Theodore W. Gregg             | The most endangered species- the honest man, /
\ MACC-Operations               | Will still survive annihilation.             /
\ 1210 W. Dayton St.            | Forming a world state of integrity,          /
\ Madison, WI 53715             | Sensistive, open, and strong.                /
\ gregg@macc.wisc.edu           |                                   (N. Peart) /

andekian@sirius.UVic.CA (Alex Andekian) (04/18/91)

First of all I would like to thank Frank Whaley for his shar file
containing C source to some interrupt-driven serial i/o routines.
It was well written (with plenty of comments), and it finally helped
me overcome my fear of writting interrupt handlers.
Thank you Frank.
It is a professional job and if you want it to be public domain,
I suggest you send it to one of those archive places.

Now for my new question.
I am writing C applications that require collecting data from the serial
port and from an analog to digital converter. I also need to save the
data collected on disk. I have two interrupt handlers that collect the
data while  the main program is busy doing calculations.
So I was wondering if it was possible to save the data to
disk from inside the interrupt handlers. I tried this but the system
hangs up and I have to use the "three finger solution" to get back
control of the PC. Inside the handler, before calling the fprintf and
fflush functions of turboC, I enabled the interrupts of the CPU, and I
tried to fool the Interrupt Controller chip by sending it END OF
INTERRUPT command to make it think that my interrupt handler is finished
and hopefully the DOS stream and disk I/O routines can be invoked. But
it didn't work. I should also mention that I used IRQ7 for my analog to
digital card's interrupts which makes it a lower priority than the disk
I/O interrupts. Can anyone explain why it didn't work?
Shouldn't it be possible to call DOS functions that do stream and low
level I/O from within an interrupt handler? If it's possible, can anyone
please tell me how to do it?

Thank you
~

dcnnnghm@vax1.tcd.ie (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun13.173305.22787@isc.rit.edu>, ecldco@isc.rit.edu (E.C. Loyd) writes:
> In article <138967@unix.cis.pitt.edu> dove@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Daniel L Dove) writes:
>>
>>	Hello, I want to write a program that uses a modem. The problem is
>>
>>I have no clue how to program a modem. I know C ,Pascal ,Fortran. If anyone
>>
>>has anything that would help please send me E-mail. Thanks
>>

>>						Dan
>
> You don't program a modem.  You program a program that reads/writes the modem's port address (based on its IRQ line).  If you desire more information that that (and telling someone how to write a program that will talk to a modem is no
> easy task) then send me mail.
>
> I'll help you out privately instead of costing the net hundreds,
> if not thousands of dollars to send messages all over the world.
>
> :-)
>
> -eric
>
> --
> ECLDCO@RITVAXC.bitnet      ECL6895@RITVAXC.bitnet
> ECLDCO@ultb.isc.rit.edu    ECL6895@ultb.isc.rit.edu
> Eric Loyd's the name, Data Center Operations is the game.
> Opinions and irrational outbursts are MY pride and joy.  Not my employer's.

 Dan ... to get a modem to do what you want you goto to use the Hayes AT
 command set. First however you must TALK to the modem first thru' your serial
 port, which (in TP anyway) is quite easy to do. So at this point you could
 either use your own routines internal to your code (if you don't feel like
 writing them there is loads on publin domain) or you could use a fossil
 driver. Fossil drivers are quite good because on any 80X86 machine, you can
 (once it is running DOS) get in some cases on implementation of the driver.
 I know it is also available for some non compatible MSDos machives. Anyway,
 the driver is just a TSR, which you call through a specific interrupt ...
 like calling any BIOS service really. However, if you use a fossil driver, the
 driver must be in memory first to work obviously, but you can check for its
 presence. Then once you are sending and receiving to the Modem then you use
 the command  set. However one thing I forgot to say was that not all modems
 are Hayes compatible so they will not use the command set, but to be honest I
 never came across one of them in my life ...
 I have the actual code (before it was modified) that was used in Spitfire BBS,
 and it is very good. I've started writting a BBS, and using this have had the
 actual Turbo Pascal program performing 12 different tasks but still managed to
 get info from the modem without losing characters. This was under MSDOS.
 If you need any routines, or specific help ... 'cos the whole area is quite
 broad just mail me ... ok ...
--   ~Donal (?) ...

Donal Cunningham      |"'Twas brillig,and the slithy toves | Disclaimer???
(a.k.a. "Mithrandir") |  Did gyre and gimble in the gabe:  |
                      |  All mimsy were the borogroves,    | I went one step
dcnnnghm@vax1.tcd.ie  | and the mome raths outgrabe."      | better:
dcnnnghm@unix1.tcd.ie |                -Lewis Carroll      | I divorced her...
	 "Me? Paranoid?? Hah! Don't believe everything THEY tell you..."