[comp.os.msdos.programmer] has anyone used the rcs system from Simtel?

creider@csd.uwo.ca (Chet Creider) (06/24/91)

Has anyone succeeded in understanding how the DOS rcs is intended to
work? When I try to use it, it puts write protection on a file, then
can't delete this file when checking in. Then when checking out, it
encounters the write-protected file and can't overwrite it. None of
the switches on ci or co seem to help, and rcs.exe doesn't either.

Of course all of this can be gotten around with chmod (or whatever
program one uses to change file attributes), but what a nuisance!
I hope I'm missing something, and would appreciate help.

It would help to have the source code. My executables were obtained
from Simtel, but there isn't even a hint as to who did the port there.

Chet Creider
<creider@csd.uwo.ca>.

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (06/25/91)

creider@csd.uwo.ca (Chet Creider) writes:
>Has anyone succeeded in understanding how the DOS rcs is intended to
>work? When I try to use it, it puts write protection on a file, then
>can't delete this file when checking in. Then when checking out, it
>encounters the write-protected file and can't overwrite it. None of
>the switches on ci or co seem to help, and rcs.exe doesn't either.

I wish questions like this were directed to me.  I could have answered
your question about who uploaded RCS, which would have saved time for
you and bandwidth for the network.

SIMTEL20 directory PD1:<MSDOS.PGMUTL>
Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
DOSRCSEX.ZIP  B  136791  900829  Revision Control System for text files, 1of3
DOSRCSMP.ZIP  B   24412  900829  Revision Control System for text files, 2of3
SH_RCSEX.ZIP  B  170318  900829  Revision Control System for text files, 3of3

There files were uploaded by lfk@athena.mit.edu (Frank Kolakowski).
Please send questions to him.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (06/27/91)

creider@csd.uwo.ca (Chet Creider) writes:

>Has anyone succeeded in understanding how the DOS rcs is intended to
>work? When I try to use it, it puts write protection on a file, then
>can't delete this file when checking in. Then when checking out, it
>encounters the write-protected file and can't overwrite it. None of
>the switches on ci or co seem to help, and rcs.exe doesn't either.

>Of course all of this can be gotten around with chmod (or whatever
>program one uses to change file attributes), but what a nuisance!
>I hope I'm missing something, and would appreciate help.

>It would help to have the source code. My executables were obtained
>from Simtel, but there isn't even a hint as to who did the port there.

>Chet Creider
><creider@csd.uwo.ca>.

Initialize the file with rcs -U -i filespec

This creates an unlocked file, i.e. the file in the rcs directory is read-only
but that in the parent directory can be worked on. On a single-user system,
this seems to be the best way.

With co and ci always use the -u parameter. This checks in/out the file without
doing any locking, and leaves the file editable in the working directory.

Files in the rcs directory are always read-only and should only be manipulated
by the rcs system (but you knew that anyway didn't you :-)

This in empirical - i.e. this is what I do, and these are the results I get.
Most of the information came from the help stuff with mks toolkit. I run under
MS-dos though.

Best Regards, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips IE TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.