[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Needed: printer codes for a wide variety of printers

tswingle@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Tom Swingle) (06/25/91)

I am writing a graphics program and I would like to make one of the options be
printing a graphics screen to the printer.  In order to make this program able
to use as many different printers as possible, I would need to know the codes
to send for various brands and models as well as the format to send the data to
the printer.  How would I go about finding this?  My printer is a Panasonic
KXP-1180 and at school we have Epson-FX80s and one or two IBM Proprinters so I
can get the codes for these, but I would like to get as many more as possible.

One possibility is to write to the manufacturers of the various printers, but
I don't know the names and addresses of all the various manufacturers, so if
anyone can help out here I would be very appreciative.  And if anyone has any
other suggestions, I would like to hear them also.  E-mail is best, because
although I do read this newsgroup, I am known to miss the news for long
periods of time so posts might expire before I get to read them.

xsession@McRCIM.McGill.EDU (X session) (06/27/91)

There is this one program that supports a multi- mega- tude of printers
and that is Word Perfect.
It comes with zillions of printer defs and the program ptr.exe
to change them or in your case to check them out.

You must first get the printer defs from the main files called something
like wprint.s01 or s02 using install this extracts them to files called wp*.prn
and these you can check on using ptr

You need to have WP around somewhere off course, grin :)

               grtnx Martijn

                     nykerk@mcrcim.mcgill.ca

bumby@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Richard Bumby) (06/28/91)

xsession@McRCIM.McGill.EDU (X session) writes:

>There is this one program that supports a multi- mega- tude of printers
>and that is Word Perfect.
>It comes with zillions of printer defs and the program ptr.exe
 . . .

Why should this be?  This sounds like there are facilities to support
current printers.  But there are some obsolete printers that still
work, and there are new printers coming out all the time that do more
than just emulate some existing standard.  For example, the version of
quattro that I bought a couple of years ago allows me to select the
graphics printer that I will be using by name -- giving me no clue
whether I can build files to be printed on my Prism 80, and little
guidance in getting the best results on by Canon BJ-10e.  Wouldn't it
be better if the interface used a printcap file that could be modified
by the user.  Several samples for the currently popular printers could
be supplied.
--
R. T. Bumby **  Rutgers Math ||   Amer. Math. Monthly Problems Editor
bumby@math.rutgers.edu       || P.O. Box 10971 New Brunswick, NJ08906-0971