[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Borland C++ and Turbo Pascal 5

tomg@code3.com (Tom Green) (06/26/91)

I need some help.  I have been asked to do some communciations work to be
incorperated in a program that was written using turbo pascal.  I have
a library to do evrerything needed already written in 'C' using C++ 2.0.

The question is how can I reasonably use this library, when several of
the functions use the standard 'C' library?  Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance

--
Tom Green
- Life's a pain, then you die.				  _/_ __ ____ __

pshuang@athena.mit.edu (Ping-Shun Huang) (06/30/91)

In article <1892@hsi.hsi.com> tomg@code3.com (Tom Green) writes:

 > I need some help.  I have been asked to do some communciations work to be
 > incorperated in a program that was written using turbo pascal.  I have
 > a library to do evrerything needed already written in 'C' using C++ 2.0.

Ideas:

(a) check to see if Microsoft's Quick Pascal product outputs standard
.OBJ files.  If so, you should be able to link Turbo Pascal code and C++
programs together, since Quick Pascal is supposed to be fairly
compatible with TP.  Pascal versus C parameter passing conventions may
be a problem, however... don't know if Microsoft offers help on that.

(b) Stony Brook offers another Pascal compiler which is also Turbo
Pascal compatible; same ideas and caveats as (a).

(c) If the communication task is quite discrete (i.e. the Turbo Pascal
part of the program creates a bunch of data files and then needs to send
them all somewhere in a batch transfer), you could have TP shell out to
DOS to a program written solely in C++.  Parameter passing could be done
either on the command line of the "shelling out", or in environment
variables set in Turbo Pascal before the "shelling out".

--
Above text where applicable is (c) Copyleft 1991, all rights deserved by:
UNIX:/etc/ping instantiated (Ping Huang) [INTERNET: pshuang@athena.mit.edu]