[uiuc.general] ISBN numbers

aglew@crhc.uiuc.edu (Andy Glew) (12/13/90)

In an efort to create an inventory of my library for the company
handling my recent move, I have recorded most of their ISBN numbers in
a big list.

This has glimmerings of being useful.

Is there any way that I can convert ISBN numbers into more meaningful
author/title lists, and save myself a bit more typing?

(I suppose that I could query the UIUC LCS (library computer system)
but many of these books are not part of the LCS)

--
Andy Glew, a-glew@uiuc.edu [get ph nameserver from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:net/qi]

jaap@mtxinu.COM (Jaap Akkerhuis) (12/18/90)

In article <AGLEW.90Dec12232240@cobra.crhc.uiuc.edu> aglew@crhc.uiuc.edu (Andy Glew) writes:

 > Is there any way that I can convert ISBN numbers into more meaningful
 > author/title lists, and save myself a bit more typing?

Not really, unless you type it in. As far as I remember, the only
thing coded into the ISBN number is the country and a code for the
publisher. The serial number is up to the publisher. Unless you get a
list out of the publisher (unlikely), you'll have to match title and
number yourself.

BTW, this scheme also implies that for a single book one can have
more then one ISBN number, when it is published in two different
countries.  As a matter of fact, I have one lying in front of me.
It has the ISBN 0-387-97397-4 as well as 3-540-97397-4.

The 0 for the USA and 387 for the publisher, Springer Verlag, New
York, while in the other number 3 stands for Germany and 540 for
Springer Verlag Berlin-Heidelberg.  I seem to remember that 90 is
the code for the Netherlands.

	jaap

PS. Just in case you want to know, the book that Springer gave
   serial number 97397 (the 4 is a check digit) is ``Multi-media
   Document Translation, ODA and the EXPRESS project'', by Jonathan
   Rosenberg, Mark Sherman, Ann Marks and myself.

psrc@cbnewsl.att.com (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (12/19/90)

The original query seemed to be for an ISBN database.  Other than
buying BOOKS IN PRINT in machine readable form (it's available on CD
ROM), I don't think such a database exists.

In article <1990Dec17.205911.15073@mtxinu.COM>, jaap@mtxinu.COM (Jaap
Akkerhuis) writes that a single book can have multiple ISBNs.  It's
worth pointing out that the hardcover and paperback versions of the
same book have different ISBNs.

> [My book] has the ISBN 0-387-97397-4 as well as 3-540-97397-4.

> The 0 for the USA and 387 for the publisher, Springer Verlag, New
> York, while in the other number 3 stands for Germany and 540 for
> Springer Verlag Berlin-Heidelberg.  I seem to remember that 90 is
> the code for the Netherlands.

I thought the first number was for the *language*, not the country.  I
could be wrong.

The NIH class library book (published in the U.K.) didn't have a hyphen
between the publisher and book number, much to my surprise.

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!mtunq!psrc, psrc@mtunq.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

P.S.:  "ISBN number" is redundant; ISBN stands for something like
"International Standard Book *Number*".  An "ISBN number" is a number
number?-)

jlhg0793@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph Herl) (12/20/90)

One way to retrieve bibliographic information from ISBN's is through Illinet
Online.  The command is FIND ISBN (or F I) followed by the number.  If you
download the results, you should have all the information you need.

For example:

f i 013937681x

                                          BIBLIOGRAPHIC DISPLAY

     Kernighan, Brian W.
     The UNIX programming environment / Brian W. Kernighan, Rob Pike.
Englewood Cliffs, N.J. : Prentice-Hall, c1984.
     x, 357 p. : ill. ; 25 cm. (Prentice-Hall software series.)
     Includes index.
     ISBN  0139376992
     ISBN  013937681X (pbk.)
       1. Electronic digital computers--Programming   2. UNIX (Computer
operating system)  I. Pike, Rob.  II. Title.   III. Series.
     ocm10-269821

Joe Herl
School of Music
herl@uiuc.edu

seeba@nas.nasa.gov (Thomas D. Seeba) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec19.212851.2669@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
jlhg0793@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph Herl) writes:
|> One way to retrieve bibliographic information from ISBN's is through Illinet
|> Online.  The command is FIND ISBN (or F I) followed by the number.  If you
|> download the results, you should have all the information you need.

So, how do the rest of us get to Illinet Online????????

        Tom Seeba                                  NAS Systems Division
        M/S 258-6                                  HSP Support
        Moffett Field, CA 94035                    seeba@nas.nasa.gov
        415-604-4528

jlhg0793@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph Herl) (12/21/90)

I've had a couple of messages asking about Illinet Online.  I'm sorry I didn't
explain it when I posted the message, but I afraid I goofed.  I read the
original posting in a newsgroup whose distribution is limited to the
University of Illinois, where everyone knows what Illinet Onlines is, and I
assumed that my reply would also go no further than that.  What I didn't
realize is that my reply would be sent to all the groups in which the original
posting appeared.  Anyway, I apologize for the mistake and for the need to take
up additional space to explain all this. . .

Illinet Online is the online library catalog for the state of Illinois.  The
telnet address is garcon.cso.uiuc.edu 620.  Instructions are provided upon
entry.  Unfortunately, the user-friendly interface in use in Illinois is not
yet available through telnet.

Illinet Online provides full cataloguing for about 6.3 million unique titles
(as of last June) in over 800 Illinois libraries, including the University of
Illinois (both Urbana and Chicago campuses).  The holdings for the University
of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are complete for items catalogued since 1975
(except for maps, which have yet to receive full cataloguing), and we have
begun a retrospective conversion project for items catalogued previously.
By the end of next year we expect to have full records for all but 200,000
of our eleven million items (we already have shorter author-title records for
all items), plus the records from the other libraries.  The holdings vary
from library to library; I am not sure how many records for the other libraries
are available online.

For more information about library catalogs available through telnet, there are
two lists.  The official list is chapter 2 of the Internet Resources Guide,
available by anonymous ftp to nnsc.nsf.net in the directory 'resource-guide.'
An more up-to-date unofficial list can be found at umd5.umd.edu in the
directory 'info-lib.'

I hope this clears things up!

Joe Herl