[comp.windows.x.motif] Avoid Supplanting Free Software

jym@eris.berkeley.edu (Jym Dyer) (06/28/90)

.-.
|T|he attached was sent to another newsgroup/mailing list.  I
`-' figured I'd send it along here so that folks working on
    Motif would consider it.  Flames cheerfully ignored.
    <_Jym_>

From: ai.mit.edu!rms@apple.UUCP
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 90 22:21:16 EDT
To: info-gnu-emacs@prep.ai.mit.edu
Subject: Emacs with menus and buttons

If you are interested in working on x-related features, please plan
on using only the free X facilities, and not proprietary software such
as Motif.

X is an important piece of free software, so we (the FSF) can feel
only alarm when attempts are made to supplant parts of it with
proprietary software.  In effect, there is a danger that parts of X
will cease to be free.  While the free toolkits and window managers
would still exist, that would not count for much if they could not
make actual X applications work.

We have to do as much as we can to keep the free X code alive.  For
this reason, we aren't going to maintain or install any support for
the proprietary toolkits or window managers.

Of course, the terms of the GPL say you can program support for
any toolkits or window managers you like.  But I hope you will help
us keep X free by using and supporting the free facilities.