[comp.windows.x.motif] killing a "dead" window in mwm

mab718@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Bellmore Mark Allen) (07/04/90)

I would like to get rid of "dead" windows under mwm where the
only way to get rid of it is to log off nad log back on. I tried
to put f.kill into the mwm menu and it shows up as turned off so I
cannot select it.
                                           Thanks in advance,
					     Mark Bellmore

> I would like to get rid of "dead" windows under mwm where the
What is a "dead" window?

Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com
nazgul@alphalpha.com		|-----------------------------------
617/646-7703 (voice/fax)	|	Proline BBS: 617/641-3722

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

-------

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (07/05/90)

	>>> what is a dead window?

I thought this was a well-known bug.  If you iconify an application,
and then kill it, the icon remains.  If you double-click the icon, the
window opens with a blank background.  You cannot kill this window and
there is no pid (the child is gone).  If you "kill" the window, it
tries to kill it's child, which isn't there, so it doesn't do
anything.

As far as I could tell, restarting mwm was the only recourse.

Jordan 'I use twm now' Hayes

brian@padouk.ima.isc.com (Brian R. Holt) (07/06/90)

In article <9007051216.AA12575@Morgan.COM>, jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan
Hayes) writes:

|> 	>>> what is a dead window?
|>
|> I thought this was a well-known bug.  If you iconify an application,
|> and then kill it, the icon remains.

It does? Not for me. When I kill the application using any means I can
think of, the icon goes away. Was this in an old version of mwm or
something?

		=brian

Email	brian@ima.isc.com
Phone	617-661-7474 x206
Fax	617-661-2070
near the last bend in the Charles River

mab718@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Bellmore Mark Allen) (07/11/90)

  I recently posted an article about killing a dead window. What I
meant was if you start up a Motif application and fork and exec
a program and try to kill the motif application while the child
process is still running, the motif window will still be there
even if the child finishes. Try it and see. Other than making sure
the child is finished (obvoiusly), is there a way to get rid of
the window.

						Thanks,
						Mark Bellmore

chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (07/12/90)

> I recently posted an article about killing a dead window. What I
> meant was if you start up a Motif application and fork and exec
> a program and try to kill the motif application while the child
> process is still running, the motif window will still be there
> even if the child finishes. Try it and see. Other than making sure
> the child is finished (obvoiusly), is there a way to get rid of
> the window.

You need to set the close-on-exec flag on the file descriptor associated
with your connection to the server (ConnectionNumber(dpy)). Alternatively
you could manually close it after you fork.

			-- Chan