[comp.windows.x.motif] Again, how can I get Motif?

greer@sunland.gsfc.nasa.gov (Greg Greer) (07/18/90)

I asked once before and got no response, except from several other
people who also would like to know:

Is there any place/way to get Motif for free, like X itself?  If not,
as I fear, who sells it and for how much?

Thanks,
--
Greg
Gregory G. Greer (301) 286-7942		  |  under contract to:

> I asked once before and got no response, except from several other
> people who also would like to know:
>
> Is there any place/way to get Motif for free, like X itself?  If not,
> as I fear, who sells it and for how much?

I'll start posting this and some other info more regularly.  If you
have more information to fill in the gaps, please let me know and
I'll add it to the next posting.

---
The Motif source is available only by licensing it from OSF.  Licensing
cost is currently $1000 for commercial sites, quite a bit less for
Universities.  As with the AT&T Unix licenses, once you have a source
license you are free to share code and fixes with other licensees.

	Open Software Foundation
	Attn: Motif Order Desk
	11 Cambridge Center
	Cambridge, MA 02142
	Email: direct@osf.org
	(Commercial/Academic source licenses)

Motif binaries are currently available without charge, and/or as part
of base software, from almost all workstation vendors.  The only major
exception to this is Sun, and several other companies have stepped
in to fill the void.  The ones I know about are:

	Integrated Computer Solutions
	163 Harvard Street
	Cambridge, MA 02139
	Email: info@ics.com
	(Binaries for Sun, MacOS and other platforms)

	Quest Systems Corporation
	3333 Bowers Avenue
	Santa Clara, CA 05054
	Email: ???
	(Binaries for Sun)

	IXI and Unipalm in the U.K.
	Addresses?
	Email?

There are several places where you can post and receive information
about Motif.

For licensees only, there is the motif-talk list at OSF.  This is
primarily for posting bug patches or other information which requires
a source license.

For everyone else there is the dual motif newsgroup/mailing-list pair.
comp.windows.x.motif and motif@alphalpha.com are gatewayed to each
other and carry general discussion, questions and occasionally answers
about Motif.  If for some reason you can not use the newsgroup, you
can join the mailing list by sending mail to motif-request@alphalpha.com.

Finally, the xpert/comp.windows.x mailing-list/newsgroup pair also
carries some discussion about Motif, and is particularly a good source
of information if your problem is more Intrinsics than Motif related.

For reading material, I'd recommend any of the following:

    OSF/Motif Programmer's Guide and OSF/Motif Programmer's
    Reference, Open Software Foundation, Prentice-Hall, 1990,
    ISBN 0-13-640525-8 and ????.

    X Window Systems: Programming and Applications with Xt
    (OSF/Motif edition), Douglas A. Young, Prentice-Hall, 1990,
    ISBN 0-13-497074-8.

    OSF/Motif Reference Guide, Douglas A. Young, Prentice-Hall,
    1990, ISBN 0-13-642786-3.

    Programming with OSF/Motif, Kee Hinckley and Brian Holt,
    Addison-Wesley, forthcoming.

    X Toolkit Intrinsics Programming Manual (Motif edition),
    Adrian Nye and Tim O'Reilly, O'Reilly and Associates,
    forthcoming. (This is Volume 4. Work on the Motif edition will
    be out after the R4 edition is done).

and also

    Introduction to the X Window System, Oliver Jones, Prentice
    Hall, 1989, ISBN 0-13-499997-5.

Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com
nazgul@alphalpha.com		|-----------------------------------
617/646-7703 (voice/fax)	|	Proline BBS: 617/641-3722

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

-------

rlh2@ukc.ac.uk (Richard Hesketh) (07/18/90)

In article <9007171942.AA04637@alphalpha.com> nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>The Motif source is available only by licensing it from OSF.  Licensing
>cost is currently $1000 for commercial sites, quite a bit less for
>Universities.  As with the AT&T Unix licenses, once you have a source
>license you are free to share code and fixes with other licensees.

According to the Motif 1.0 licence I have in front of me (which I can't use
because I need 1.1) it says its a $1000 for "each institution located at a
contiguous geographic area with a single mailing address".  I would very
much like to know if this has been lowered (?).  Also from the software
support service agreement it appears that educational establishments also
would have to pay $2500 a year for email / telephone support and
"periodic software updates (dot level releases only)".

Has anyone recently been able to get any reply from "motif-desk@osf.org" ??
I would like to get hold of Motif 1.1 (I take it that it hasn't hit the
streets yet?) but as yet I have heard nothing, (sent 25th June).

I have had to hold back from buying 1.0 because it appears the cheapest
upgrade path would be to spend another $1000 on for a separate source
licence for 1.1 .. surely I must be mistaken?

Richard Hesketh   :   @nsfnet-relay.ac.uk:rlh2@ukc.ac.uk
		  :   rlh2@ukc.ac.uk    ..!mcsun!ukc!rlh2
---
Computing Lab., University of Kent at Canterbury,
Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NF, United Kingdom.    Tel: +44 227 764000 ext 7620/3682

"I speak for myself, not for UKC or the SERC".

krs0@GTE.COM (Rod Stephens) (07/18/90)

In article <GREER.90Jul17135534@sunland.gsfc.nasa.gov> greer@sunland.gsfc.nasa.gov (Greg Greer) writes:
>Is there any place/way to get Motif for free, like X itself?  If not,
>as I fear, who sells it and for how much?

Motif is a commercial product layered on top of X so you can't get it
for free and you can't get it from X (I'm pretty sure). However, it is
RIDICULOUSLY cheap! When we got ours (last year) the costs were:

Master license	$1000
Object code	  $40	(to copy form someone else's master license)

To order, contact:
	Open Software Foundation
	11 Cambridge Center
	Cambridge, MA
	02142
	ATTN: MOTIF ORDER ADMINISTRATION

Questions reguarding license agreements or order status can be
directed to the Technology Order Administration group (617)621-8755.

PS - As I understand it, DEC plans on including Motif in their
standard VMS and Ultrix releases, and I would be surprised if other
operating system vendors don't follow suit, so after that it won't
cost you a thing.

abbadon@nuchat.UUCP (David Neal) (07/18/90)

In article <GREER.90Jul17135534@sunland.gsfc.nasa.gov> greer@sunland.gsfc.nasa.gov (Greg Greer) writes:
>I asked once before and got no response, except from several other
>people who also would like to know:
>
>Is there any place/way to get Motif for free, like X itself?  If not,
>as I fear, who sells it and for how much?
>
>Thanks,
>--
>Greg
>Gregory G. Greer (301) 286-7942		  |  under contract to:
>August Automation, Software Developers    |  Code 743
>8781 Oxwell Lane, Laurel, Maryland 20781  |  NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
>(301) 470-4020				  |  Greenbelt, Maryland 20771

Motif is definately not free.

At best, you might see it bundled with someone's operating system,
but you still will not get source code.

Motif is sold by the Open Software Foundation. Sorry, I don't have
a number, but 800 information might be able to help.

They offer snapshots of the source code, or with a full membership
in the OSF, you can get regular update tapes. Perhaps OSF can tell
you if someone else in NASA has bought OSF membership.

Finally, there are third party companies such as ICS in Cambridge,
Mass. That offer motif and support for motif. Also, there is a
set of books (by Nutshell??) about X, the latest volumes deal with
motif.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but if you can not get any other

David Neal
abbadon@nuchat.uucp
abbadon%nuchat@{rice, bcm, texbell, uunet}

dean@osf.org (07/18/90)

>> Is there any place/way to get Motif for free, like X itself?  If not,
>> as I fear, who sells it and for how much?

A source licence is available from OSF for $1000, and binaries are
available from most vendors and many ISV's.

Contact:

Direct Channels
Open Software Foundation
11 Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
617 621 7300

Dean Anderson                      OOOOO     SSSSS   FFFFFF
dean@osf.org  uunet!osf.org!dean  OO   OO   SSS      FF
Open Software Foundation          OO   OO      SSS   FFFF
#include <std.disclaimer>          OOOOO    SSSSS    FF

ron@kasparov.osf.org (Ron Birnbaum) (07/19/90)

In article <9007181646.AA28786@osf.osf.org> dean@osf.org writes:

>Contact:

>Direct Channels
>Open Software Foundation
>11 Cambridge Center
>Cambridge, MA 02142
>617 621 7300

>Dean Anderson                      OOOOO     SSSSS   FFFFFF
>dean@osf.org  uunet!osf.org!dean  OO   OO   SSS      FF
>Open Software Foundation          OO   OO      SSS   FFFF
>#include <std.disclaimer>          OOOOO    SSSSS    FF

    Direct Channels can be reached via EMAIL to direct@osf.org

Ron Birnbaum
OSF Systems Engineering
ron@osf.org

mike@x.co.uk (Mike Moore) (07/19/90)

IXI sells a developer's kit for OSF/Motif.  For a master license of #695.00 you
get the object code, 6 months support (incl. code and doc. updates) and manuals
(which on their own are worth around #200).  If you want further licences for
the same type of cpu, then these can be purchased for #245.00 and you get an
extra set of the manuals.  Support is renewable at #395 for every six months
(with discounts if you buy early).  This is hot-line support, with telephone,
fax and e-mail access.  The developer's kit is available for:

   Sun 3 (SunOs 3.5 & SunOs 4)
   Sun 4
   Solbourne

Additionally, we have X and Motif programmers courses.

Address:

Europe:  IXI Limited               USA: IXI Limited
         62-74 Burleigh Street          Suite 2200 One Kendall Square
         Cambridge                      Cambridge
         CB1 1DJ                        MA 02139

Voice:   +44 (0)223 462131              617 621 7041
Fax  :   +44 (0)223 462132

Mike Moore
Technical Support
IXI Limited, UK
Usual disclaimer.....  etc                        | mike@x.co.uk
True Intelligence is not knowing all the answers, |
it's knowing the right questions.                 |