[comp.windows.x.motif] a transparent composite widget

bruno@bdblues.altair.fr (Bruno Poyet) (07/18/90)

        A Transparent Composite Widget Class
        ------------------------------------

I whish I could have two transparent bulletinboard widgets B1 and B2,
meaning that if I put B1 and B2 in a normal bulletinboard I can see
both the children widgets of B1 and B2. Is it possible ?

                                Bruno POYET
                                I.N.R.I.A.
                                France

rlh2@ukc.ac.uk (Richard Hesketh) (07/20/90)

In article <9007191732.AA14355@hpcvxben.HP.COM> ben@HPCVXBEN.CV.HP.COM (Benjamin Ellsworth) writes:

>>         A Transparent Composite Widget Class

>I suppose that just about anything is possible, but what you're asking
>for would be very, very hard to do.

Why is it very hard?  It you make the backgroundPixmap of the bulletin board
"None" then you should get a transparent composite widget?  However, you
will have to unmap and map it everytime you get an expose event (ignoring the
expose event that this unmap/map generates) or if
the overrlapped widgets are changed.  Is this what you mean by hard?
I have used this technique to display greyed out command widgets (sensitive ==
FALSE) and overlay them with a transparent window that still accepts events,
this proved extremely easy to implement.

I have someone who wants to draw shapes in separate windows (for clipping and
ease of manipulation) and overlay them, he could do this using a display
postscript or shape extension .. but who wants to be tied
to a particular server???  Are not windows without backgrounds available
on all servers?

Richard Hesketh   :   @nsfnet-relay.ac.uk:rlh2@ukc.ac.uk
		  :   rlh2@ukc.ac.uk    ..!mcsun!ukc!rlh2
---
Computing Lab., University of Kent at Canterbury,
Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NF, United Kingdom.    Tel: +44 227 764000 ext 7620/3682

ben@HPCVXBEN.CV.HP.COM (Benjamin Ellsworth) (07/21/90)

> Why is it very hard?  ...[proposed approach]...

OK, try it.  I don't really know what it may involve, and I really
don't have time to look closely.  It is my opinion (and not HP's), as
one familiar with the widget set, that it will be very difficult to get
a completely functional transparent bulletin board.  I would be pleased
if you would prove me wrong.

It may be easier to make up a composite (acutally subclass of manager)
which plays nicely with rest of the motif widgets, but I still believe
the task to be non-trivial (lots of niggling details).  Again, I would
be pleased if you would prove me wrong.

Benjamin Ellsworth      | ben@cv.hp.com                | INTERNET
Hewlett-Packard Company | {backbone}!hplabs!hp-pcd!ben | UUCP
1000 N.E. Circle        | (USA) (503) 750-4980         | FAX
Corvallis, OR 97330     | (USA) (503) 757-2000         | VOICE
                     All relevant disclaimers apply.