[comp.windows.x.motif] Porting A t h e n a -Widgets to Motif-Widgets

hit@anton.informatik.uni-dortmund.de ( * HIT * ) (07/24/90)

Hello experts,

has anyone of you already replaced Athena-Widgets by Motif-Widgets
in an application?
What are your experiences? Can you give some hints?
Are there any tools (available/being built) to port
Athena applications to Motif?

I have to write a study about this topic, concerning a concrete
Athena application, and I would highly appreciate
any comments from you.

Note that I am a beginner concerning Motif.

Thanks in advance,
   Norbert Weissenberg.

Email to: hit@anton.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
Phone   : FRG-231-755-4892
Fax     :         ...-2386

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (07/24/90)

In article <2336@laura.UUCP> hit@anton.informatik.uni-dortmund.de ( * HIT * ) writes:

>Hello experts,

>has anyone of you already replaced Athena-Widgets by Motif-Widgets
>in an application?

Right in the middle of doing it now.  So far, I'd say that
going from Athena to Motif is an exercise in substituting
one set of (painfully determined) bug workarounds for an
as-yet-unknown-in-scope set of bugs.

>What are your experiences? Can you give some hints?

Being halfway (optimistically) down the road now, I would
say that it is a mistake to assume that you can get away
with having just the Motif binary libs and include files.
Budget in a Motif source license before you start (we didn't).

>Are there any tools (available/being built) to port
>Athena applications to Motif?

At least for us, it would have to be an AI program, like:
	"Athena scrollbar hack detected...deleting"
	"Athena form detected...Motif form OTL...switch to manual"

Besides, there is quite a bit in Motif that calls out to you
to make UI style changes.

It is very tempting to fidget with a widget or two.
This is the only fun part of Motif.  Coworkers can tell
when you do this, because you break into mindless song:

	I'm fidgeting a widget, or two
	Not an ordinary widget, or two
	And when I'm done
	I'll see it on the Sun
	I'm fidgeting a widget, or two  [repeat, ad nauseum]

OK, so the Sun has OpenLook.  It rhymed, damnit!  How about this:

	And when I'm done
	It won't work on the Sun

>Note that I am a beginner concerning Motif.

Same here.  You get Motif developer status when you have
identified all of the bugs.  You get your guru badge when
you have completed debugging the widget set.  That means,
we're all beginners.

-Rick

--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor| Ask about
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|   FaxiX

richard@unipalm.co.uk (Richard) (07/25/90)

When I worked for my previous company, I ported our Y-OpenTop desktop
from Athena Widgets to Motif in about 2 man weeks. The easiest way to
start is with UIL, to generate the main windows that you are going to
need.

Unfortunately, I found that UIL is too slow for the real thing (It
took around 10 seconds for the popup menus to popup the first time),
so, having got the visual part of the applications defined, I recoded
all the UIL stuff into raw Motif widget calls.

You should use the opportunity of the port to rework the interface,
with particular reference to things like popup menus, accelerators and
use of composite widgets such as file selection boxes.

Richard.