[comp.windows.x.motif] Ignore my last posting, read this one...

lampshir@airgun.wg.waii.com (gregory b. lampshire) (07/13/90)

Sorry about the last posting, it turns out that
an include file that should have been included
wasn't, so I explicitly included it.  My only
gripe about setting the window decorations in MOTIF
is that you cannot turn of the menu button
without turning off other elements of the title
and border (Can someone prove me wrong, please?)

Here is a deeper question that should be straight-
forward.  How can I forcibly tell a message box
widget to resize itself before mapping?

What I have done is create a widget at startup
and would like to change the message and redisplay it.
Unfortunately, when I redisplay it with the new
message, the size of the widget is still governed
by the old label size.  I need to have the message
box resize itself (I do a poor job of resizing).  I have
tried setting XmmappedWhenManaged to FALSE, re-realizing
the widget after I have set the new message, then
explicitly mapping the widget myself.  This approach
does not seem to work.  Also, the label widget inside
the message box should auto resize (via a resource) but
this change does not seem to propagate up the widget tree.

Sorry about all the other messages lately, I am a new
X/MOTIF programmer and get hung up on some of the small
stuff.

--
Gregory B. Lampshire     |    DOMAIN lampshir@airgun.wg.waii.com
Western Geophysical      |    UUNET  uunet!airgun!lampshir

daver@dg.dg.com (David Rudolph) (07/13/90)

In article <863@airgun.wg.waii.com> lampshir@airgun.wg.waii.com (gregory b. lampshire) writes:
>My only
>gripe about setting the window decorations in MOTIF
>is that you cannot turn of the menu button
>without turning off other elements of the title
>and border (Can someone prove me wrong, please?)

I've had the same problem too.  Although the documentation describes it
as if you can turn off each of the boarder elements individually, I have
found that as soon as I turn off any one of them, they all go away.  Is
this a bug?

David Rudolph                   |       phone: (508) 870-6914
Data General Corporation        |       email: daver@paint.dg.com or

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (07/31/90)

>   In article <863@airgun.wg.waii.com> lampshir@airgun.wg.waii.com (gregory b. lampshire) writes:
>   >My only
>   >gripe about setting the window decorations in MOTIF
>   >is that you cannot turn of the menu button
>   >without turning off other elements of the title
>   >and border (Can someone prove me wrong, please?)

	This is a old mwm bug and is fixed in release 1.0.3.

	=Mike

--
= Michael K. Yee =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
= OPEN Software Foundation -- 11 Cambridge Center -- Cambridge, MA 02142

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (07/31/90)

b. lampshire) writes:
>My only
>gripe about setting the window decorations in MOTIF
>is that you cannot turn of the menu button
>without turning off other elements of the title
>and border (Can someone prove me wrong, please?)

As has been pointed out, you can't do this programatically unless you
have patch release 1.0.3.  But you can do it using resources:

	Mwm*clientDecoration: -menu

If, however, you want to stop the user killing the client from the
window menu, remember "shift-esc" and Btn3Down in frame will also bring
the menu up.  The safe way of suppressing that is via the protocol stuff.
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks