[comp.windows.x.motif] Prototyping tools for Motif

jal@jalhome.UUCP (Janice Ann Lacy) (08/03/90)

>Are there any prototyping tools (both free and commercial) for use in
>creating Motif applications?

Well here are the replies I got. I lost my comp.windows.x* feed for a while
so I am not sure whether someone else already posted this same info.

Sorry about the long delay,
Janice

Janice Ann Lacy                     Voice: (603) 878-4268
Lacy Software                       UUCP:  harvard!m2c!jjmhome!jalhome!jal
P.O. Box 130, Colburn Rd.
Temple, NH 03084

From: harvard!jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov!david (David E. Smyth)
Subject: Prototyping tools for Motif??
To: jjmhome!jalhome!jal
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 90 8:02:46 PDT

If you get comp.windows.x, there will be the Widget Creation Library
with the Motif Resource Interpreter posted very soon, probably by Friday.

If you don't get that news group, I can email it to you.  Its about
a half a mega byte.  Free, we use it, I developed it, its getting
pretty good reviews.  Its not WYSIWYG, rather it allows the entire
interface to be specified in Motif (really Xrm) resource files.  The
library actually is quite simple, most of the size is comments and
error messages.

Xrm resource files already allow most widget attributes to be specified.
The Widget Creation Library also allows the heirarchy to be specified,
the types of the widgets (class name, cloass pointer, or Motif convenience
function), allows callbacks and action routines to be bound to the
widgets, and provides many general purpose callbacks to manage/unmanage/set_vales,
and so on.

I would suggest waiting until its on comp.windows.x to save your mail costs.
Otherwise, send me mail and you'll get it immediately.

David Smyth				david@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Senior Software Engineer,		seismo!cit-vax!jpl-devvax!david
X and Object Guru.			(818)393-0983
Jet Propulsion Lab, M/S 230-103, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109
--------------------------- Quote of the Day: ---------------------------
  There is only one right place to have a party: someone else's place.
	- P.J.O'Rourke

To: jjmhome!jalhome!jal
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 90 09:22:22 EDT
From: erik <harvard!sei.cmu.edu!ejh>

hi janice,

caught your post on xpert...

it just so happens that there are. of the free ones (of which there are
very few), the one with the most functionality is Serpent, which is a UIMS
that handles athena and a subset of motif. we're just getting ready to
release full motif support. we're also looking around for folks to alpha
test our interactive editor.

interested? if so, do you have ftp access?

erik hardy
sei/user interface project

Date: Tue, 3 Jul 90 10:41:40 PDT
From: harvard!hydra.jpl.nasa.gov!ral (Roger Lighty)
To: jjmhome!jalhome!jal
Subject: Re:  Prototyping tools for Motif??

I have been using Serpent for 16 months now with the Athena widget set.
The latest release included limited support for MOTIF.  The next release
4Q90(?) will provide greater support.  There is also some sort of graphical
editor available for 2 or 3 gineau (sp?) pigs to alpha test.  The S/W is
free (anonymous ftp) from fg.sei.cmu.edu.  For more info contact erik/robert
at serpent-info@sei.cmu.edu.  This tool set is for a UIMS; it is MORE than ju
just a widget builder.

GOOD LUCK

I look forward to your summary.  Did you see the summaryScott Schneider
(scheindr@june.cs.washington.edu) did on User Interface Prototyping TOOLS
on June 1 on xpert (probably also on comp.windows.x about same time if
there is some one ther archiving news).

-- roger		ral@hydra.jpl.nasa.gov

To: harvard!jalhome!jal (Janice Ann Lacy)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 90 15:28:23 EDT
From: erik <harvard!SEI.CMU.EDU!ejh>

well, it's also at the various uucp x archives. see the monthly posting on
xpert for where they are.

if you want to do ftp, the original announcement is appended to this email.

good luck.

erik

The  Software  Engineering  Institute  announces  the  Serpent  User Interface
Management System, Alpha Release 0.8.  Serpent is available via anonymous  ftp
from fg.sei.cmu.edu (128.237.2.163) and can be found in pub/serpent.  There is
a small README  file  and  a  large  (~1.6  MB)  compressed  tar  file  called
serpent.tar.Z.  See the README file to get started.

Serpent  is also available on expo.lcs.mit.edu (18.30.0.212) in contrib. It is
also called serpent.tar.Z, but the README file is named serpent.README.

We are working on establishing other forms of access to  Serpent.    As  these
become available, we will update the net.

Serpent  Alpha  Release 0.8 represents a significant change over Alpha Release
0.7, in terms of enhanced capabilities, the addition of a portion of the Motif
Widget  set, and the visual portion of the Serpent Editor.  There are some new
Athena widget demonstrations, as well as many Motif widget demonstrations.

Serpent represents a new generation of User Interface Management Systems which
manage the total dynamic behavior of an interface and which allow applications
to remain uninvolved with the details of the user interface.

Serpent is a UIMS which is designed to manage the  specification  and  dynamic
behavior  of  (relatively)  arbitrary  toolkits.    It  provides  for  a fixed
application programmer interface across changes in toolkits.  This  allows  an
application  to evolve from one toolkit to another, and Serpent manages all of
the interactions between the toolkits.

There is a language which is used to  describe  the  user  interface  and  its
dynamic  behavior.    There is an editor (under construction) which will allow
the interface to be  built  using  standard  type  drawing  facilities.    The
language  is  very  simple  for specifying simple interfaces ("Hello World" is
reproduced in its entirety following the  text)  and  is  powerful  enough  to
provide  for  drawing and visual programming demonstrations (both are included
in the released software).

Serpent is intended to be used either with an  application  (in  a  production
environment)  or without an application (in a prototyping environment).  There
is an interface description language used both by the application to  describe
its  interface  to  Serpent and by the toolkits to describe their interface to
Serpent.  Applications and toolkits written in either C or  Ada  can  be  used
with  Serpent,  although the interface description mechanism is designed to be
extensible to other languages.

The Hello World program is:

#include "saw.ill"

OBJECTS:
   hello: label_widget
      {ATTRIBUTES:
        label_text: "Hello world";
        }

The following people contributed to the development of Serpent:

Len Bass
Mary Beth Chrissis
Brian Clapper
Chris Cook
Marianne Deacon
Erik Hardy
Rick Kazman
Dan Klein
Reed Little
Tim McMahon
Roger Moos
Robert Seacord

We would also like to thank Steve Edwards at IDA for his extensive work on the
Ada interface.

Date: Thu, 5 Jul 90 09:38:03 -0700
From: lectroid!uunet!june.cs.washington.edu!schneidr (Scott Schneider)
To: jalhome!jal@june.cs.washington.edu
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.motif

In article <107@jalhome.UUCP> you write:

>Are there any prototyping tools (both free and commercial) for use in
>creating Motif applications?

Yes there are.
First, a distinction.  A prototyping tool implies that you are just laying
out user interfaces to see that they will look like, then when you get
it looking "right", you throw away the prototype and build the real
interface.  I have been investigating tools that fall into a category called
User Interface Design Tools, or something along these lines.  These tools
allow a developer to actually prototype and build a usable user interface
by "hooking" together user interface objects and defining corresponding
actions.  The result of developing a user interface with an IDT is a
source code file representing the user interface portion of an application
program.  Some IDTs also provide a facility for describing the dialog layer
between the user interface and the application interface.  These tools may
also be referred to as a UIMS (User Interface Management System).

For Motif, look into the following:

1)	TeleUSE
	TeleSoft Corporation
	5959 Cornerstone Court West
	San Diego, CA  92121-9891
	(619) 457-2700

	TeleUSE is one of the best IDTs on the market.  It allows a user
	to build Motif and/or Athena based User interfaces via a graphical
	layout editor.  The user plops down interface objects (widgets)
	using the layout editor, hooks them up the he/she wants the user
	interface to look, and can then generate source code for the user
	interface.  It also has a test mode that allows one to do some very
	nice rapid prototyping.  Also has a facility for defining the
	dialog layer between the user interface and the application program.

2)	XBuild
	Nixdorf Computer Engineering Corporation
	4 Cambridge Center
	Cambridge, MA  02142
	(617) 864-0066

	I haven't seen XBuild (I will get it soon) but I have heard really
	good things about it from some X authorities.  I have heard that it
	is better than TeleUSE (which I have seen).  XBuild comes as a source
	code license ($5000) and you pay Nixdorf royalties for any binary
	you generate for internal use ($1500).

	Call Nixdorf for a $25 trial version if you run on a Sun 3, mips,
	SparcStation, DECstation or SCO Unix (386).

	I'll let you know what I think about XBuild when I get to see it.

3)	UIMX
	Visual Edge Software Ltd.
	3870 Cote Vertu
	St. Laurent, Quebec
	H4R 1V4
	(514) 332-6430

	Very nice IDT. I have seen it run, looks nice, builds Motif UIs.
	There are several companies who are OEMs for UIMX (HP is one).
	Also creates Open Look interfaces, if you are interested.  That's
	all I know about this one.

4)	Builder XCessory
	Integrated Computer Solutions  (ICS)
	163 Harvard St
	Cambridge, MA  02139
	EMAIL:  info@ics.com

	Don't know anymore.

5)	EXOCode/AUTOCode
	Expert Object Corporation
	7250 Cicero Ave
	Suite 201
	Lincolnwood, Ill	60646
	(312) 676-5555

I have literature on most of these if you are interested.
Good Luck in your search.

Hope this helps.

Scott Schneider                          | "Communication with an engineer is |
Boeing Commercial                        |  only slightly more difficult than |
schneidr@june.cs.washington.edu  |   communication with the dead."    |
(206) 234-2739

To: motif@alphalpha.com.uucp
Cc: jjmhome!jalhome!jal (Janice Ann Lacy)
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 90 00:29:55 PDT
From: Niels P. Mayer <harvard!hplnpm.hpl.hp.com!mayer>

> Are there any prototyping tools (both free and commercial) for use in
> creating Motif applications?

You may be interested in WINTERP -- source is available for free under the
MIT X Consortium's R4 contrib copyright notice.

Here's an abstract of my paper on WINTERP as presented at Xhibition '90:

			--------------------

WINTERP: An object-oriented rapid prototyping, development and delivery
environment for building user-customizable applications with the OSF/Motif
UI Toolkit.

WINTERP is a Widget INTERPreter, an application development environment
enabling rapid prototyping of graphical user-interfaces (GUI) through the
interactive programmatic manipulation of user interface objects and their
attached actions. The interpreter, based on David Betz's XLISP, provides an
interface to the X11 toolkit Intrinsics (Xtk), the OSF/Motif widget set,
primitives for collecting data from UN*X processes, and facilities for
interacting with other UN*X processes. WINTERP thus supports rapid
prototyping of GUI-based applications by allowing the user to interactively
change both the UI appearance and application functionality. These features
make WINTERP a good tool for learning and experimenting with the
capabilities of the OSF/Motif UI toolkit, allowing UI designers to more
easily play "what if" games with different interface styles.

WINTERP is also an excellent platform for delivering extensible or
customizable applications. By embedding a small, efficient language
interpreter with UI primitives within the delivered application, users and
system integrators can tailor the static and dynamic layout of the UI,
UI-to-application dialogue, and application functionality. WINTERP's use of
a real programming language for customization allows WINTERP-based
applications to be much more flexible than applications using customization
schemes provided by the X resource database or OSF/Motif's UIL (user
interface language).

An environment similar to WINTERP's already exists in the Gnu-Emacs text
editor -- WINTERP was strongly influenced by Gnu-Emacs' successful design.
In Gnu-Emacs, a mini-Lisp interpreter is used to extend the editor to
provide text-browser style interfaces to a number of UN*X applications
(e.g. e-mail user agents, directory browsers, debuggers, etc). Whereas
Emacs-Lisp enables the creation of new applications by tying together
C-implemented primitives operating on text-buffer UI objects, WINTERP-Lisp
ties together operations on graphical UI objects implemented by the Motif
widgets. Both achieve a high degree of customizability that is common for
systems implemented in Lisp, while still attaining the speed of execution
and (relatively) small size associated with C-implemented applications.

Other features:
	* WINTERP is free software -- available via anonymous ftp from
	  expo.lcs.mit.edu:contrib/winterp/winterp.tar.Z
	* Portable -- runs without porting on most Unix systems.
	* Interface to gnuemacs' lisp-mode allows code to be developed
	  and tested without leaving the editor;
	* Built-in RPC mechanism for inter-application communications;
	* XLISP provides a simple Smalltalk-like object system.
	* OSF/Motif widgets are real XLISP objects -- widgets can be specialized
	  via subclassing, methods added or altered, etc.
	* Automatic storage management of Motif/Xt/X data.
	* Contains facilities for "direct manipulation" of UI components;

You may obtain the current source, documentation, and examples via
anonymous ftp from host expo.lcs.mit.edu: in directory contrib/winterp you
will find the compress(1)'d tar(1) file winterp.tar.Z. If you do not have
Internet access you may request the source code to be mailed to you by
sending a message to winterp-source%hplnpm@hplabs.hp.com or
hplabs!hplnpm!winterp-source.

There is also a mailing list for WINTERP-related announcements and
discussions. To get added to the list, send mail to
winterp-request%hplnpm@hplabs.hp.com or hplabs!hplnpm!winterp-request.

	    Niels Mayer -- hplabs!mayer -- mayer@hplabs.hp.com
		  Human-Computer Interaction Department
		       Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
			      Palo Alto, CA.
				   *

From crackers!transfer!xylogics!samsung!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!sdd.hp.com!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!math.lsa.umich.edu!math.lsa.umich.edu!emv Fri Jul  6 12:02:16 EDT 1990
Article: 323 of comp.archives
From: david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth)
Newsgroups: comp.archives
Subject: [xpert] RELEASE: Widget Creation Lib, Mri, Ari
Date: 5 Jul 90 19:06:09 GMT
Sender: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

Archive-name: widget-creation-library/04-Jul-90
Archive-site: expo.lcs.mit.edu [18.30.0.212]
Archive-directory: contrib
Archive-files: Wc.tar.Z
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

The Widget Creation Library is a simple library which allows
complete widget based user interfaces to be specified in
Xrm resource files, including the widget heirarchy, the
widget types and/or constructors, and callback bindings.

Primordial versions of this software has been posted under
the title "POOR MAN'S UIL - WsXc" and "Mri - Motif Resource Interpreter.

In fact, the library works with Athena widgets, our home grown
widgets, and widgets I've snarfed over the net.  It reportedly
works fine with Motif 1.1, and I see no reason it won't work
with AT&T's OPEN LOOK widget set.

The distribution comes with several README files and several
example resource files for both Athena and Motif interfaces.
The distribution builds the Athena Resource Interpreter (Ari),
the Motif Resource Interpreter (Mri), a version of the
Widget Creation Library which links against the X11R4
Xt lib, a version which links against the Motif 1.0 Xt lib,
and two example programs which use the Widget Creation
Library.

David Smyth				david@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Senior Software Engineer,		seismo!cit-vax!jpl-devvax!david
X and Object Guru.			(818)393-0983
Jet Propulsion Lab, M/S 230-103, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109
--------------------------- Quote of the Day: ---------------------------
  There is only one right place to have a party: someone else's place.
	- P.J.O'Rourke

The first README file is as follows:

The Widget Creation Library Distribution

The Widget Creation Library is a cleanup and enhancement of Martin
Brunecky's second posting of WsXc.

The emphasis of the cleanup was to provide a separation of functionality
and declarations between source and include files, to make the naming
concise and unique, and to reduce the complexity of the interface between
the library and the application (it was pretty darn good already).

The emphasis of the enhancements were to add clear(er) warning and
error messages, add more utility callbacks, and to provide a few simple
functions which make writing callbacks and converters a little easier.

One of the guiding principles was and is KISS.  This is intended to
be a very small library which provides very big gains in productivity
for programmers developing applications using the various widget
sets based on the Xt Intrinsics.  A large number of the total lines
of code provide error messages.  The rest is quite straight forward.

This directory contains files which make up libWc, the Widget Creation
Library, Ari, the Athena Resource Interpreter, and Mri, the Motif
Resource Interpreter.

Authors
-------

Martin Brunecky at Auto-trol Technology, Denver (marbru@auto-trol.UUCP)
wrote the initial code and posted it to comp.windows.x with the title
POOR MAN's UIL - WsXc.

David Harrison of the UC Berkeley Electronics Research Lab
(davidh@ic.Berkeley.EDU or ...!ucbvax!ucbcad!davidh) wrote a very
useful Table widget.  It is so good I've included it with this
distribution.  It is separately available from archive sites.  See
TableREADME.ANNOUNCE and TableREADME.FIRST for information on this
widget.  I made very minor edits to make it work with Motif, and I
fixed exactly one minor bug.

Rod Whitby of Austek Microsystems Pty. Ltd. in Adelaide, Australia
(rwhitby@adl.austek.oz.au) wrote the Imakefile, the XCalP example, the
WcRegIntrinsic.c file, and caught several bugs.

The rest was done by me, and here is my standard .sig:

David Smyth				david@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Senior Software Engineer,		seismo!cit-vax!jpl-devvax!david
X and Object Guru.			(818)393-0983
Jet Propulsion Lab, M/S 230-103, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109

README Files and Documentation
------------------------------

The *README files provide minimal documentation.  I think you will
find the comments in the source files useful.  Also, several
example resource files are provided with extensive comments.

A real manual is actually being written, but it won't be available
for a month at least, probably not until September 1990.

Makefiles
---------

An Imakefile is provided.  The Makefile can be built predictably:

    % make Makefile

You may then build the delivery using this Makefile:

    % make -f Makefile

Several very simple makefiles are provided.  A driver makefile, called
`makefile' builds the Makefile using Imake, and can also be used to
build the delivery for those who don't have or use Imake. The driver
makefile causes each of the targets to be built using separate
makefiles:  libWc.a is built with makefile_libWc, Mri is built with
makefile_Mri, and so on.

The intent is this: after one uses the Ari or Mri resource interpreters
to build a prototype, one can start hacking with the desired interpreter
and its separate makefile.

Gnu Make will be used in the future.

Building The Distribution
-------------------------

If you have Imake, you can build the distribution very simply.
You may have to edit the `makefile' if you don't have Motif:
simply comment out line 109 which should be this one:

    IMAKE_DEFINES = -DHAVE_MOTIF

Then, build like other X clients and libraries:

    % make Makefile
    % make -f Makefile

Otherwise, you may have to set the CC, CFLAGS, and LDFLAGS macros in
each of the makefiles.  The makefiles work for gcc and SunOS cc when
the Motif libraries are installed as recommended by ICS, and when the X
libraries are installed reasonably.  As provided, they use gcc.

The easiest thing to do is simply this:

    % make

which causes all the libraries and executables to be built.

If you change any of the source files, you will notice that you
must first remove the targets (App, Ari, and Mri) in order to
make anything re-build.  Do it like this:

    % make again

which removes these targets, recompiles minimally, but of course
re-links whether or not they really needed it.  Hey, it's not perfect,
but it's simple.

If you want things to run quickly and the library to be small,
build the executables and libraries with debug flags off and
optimization turned on:

    % make optimal

Testing The Distribution
------------------------

I have included a simple test csh script which executes all of the
example programs.  After you build, the test program will execute
which ever or the executable targets it finds.  Just do the following:

    % test

Widget Creation Library
-----------------------

The makefiles build two versions of the library: one works quite well
with the Motif 1.0 widget set and uses the Motif 1.0 Intrinsics.  This
version is called libWcm.a, following ICS's naming convention.  The
other version works with the Athena widget set and the X11R4 Xt
Intrinsics in general.  It is called libWc.a

When Motif 1.1 is
released, it should link against the latter include file without any
problems.  I got the following message from Mike Yee at OSF regarding
this release of Mri and the Widget Creation Library:

    Good News!  Mri is up and running under Motif 1.1!  It only required
    minor changes in the makefiles and the removal of references to
    compositeObjectClass which does not exist in the R4 intrinsics.  It
    a pretty nifty program.  Thanks for sending it.

I applied his fixes to this release.

Mri and Ari Widget Resource Interpreters

There are also two "interpreters" which allow widget based user
interfaces to be developed and to have a few useful behaviors.  These
interpreters are intended to be useful for prototyping.

Ari is the Athena Resource Interpreter, and it knows about all the
Athena widgets.  Mri is the Motif Resource Interpreter, and is knows
about all the Motif widgets.  Both interpreters also know about the
very useful Table widget, which is described in the files Table*.

Each interpreter consists of a main() procedure, and a function which
registers all the known widget types.  Mri consists of Mri.c and
MriRegMotif.c while Ari consists of Ari.c and AriRegAthena.c.  The
registration files are intended to be independent.

It should be a simple task to build a single interpreter which knows
about every widget on earth, but if you don't have shared libs, the
resulting executable is HUGE.

Several resource files are provided for each of the interpreters.  They
are named Ari<nn>.<description> and Mri<nn>.<description>.  To try
out the interpreters (after you build them), do the following:

    % alias se setenv XENVIRONMENT
    % se Ari01.HelloWorld
    % Ari
    % se Mri07.PDWidgets
    % Mri

The resource files are intended to be tutorials, so they are heavily
commented and they explore various topics you may find interesting.

Once an interface is prototyped using Mri or Ari, one can take the
Mri or Ari source files and makefiles and evolve them into applications.

App - A Sample Application
--------------------------

The program App is exactly one such example application.  The
files Ari.c and makefile_Ari were gradually modified as additional
behaviors were defined, registered with the Wc library, and bound
to the appropriate widgets within the App01.Everything resource file.

If you look at App.c, you will notice that main() is very minimal.
The application is really defined by its resource file (the look
and feel) and the callbacks (the behavior).  Notice that the
callbacks use several routines provided by the Wc library.  They
will be introduced in another README file.

After you build App, you can try it out as follows:

    % se App01.Everything
    % App

From: harvard!ames!ucsd!telesoft!chas (Charles A. White @lizard)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 16:04:52 PDT
To: jjmhome!jalhome!jal

To: m2c!jjmhome!jalhome!jal
Subject: Motif prototyping tools

>Your replies by E-mail will be much appreciated. I'll summarize and
>post any E-mail I get.
>
>Janice

>Janice Ann Lacy                     voice (603) 878-4268
>Lacy Software                       m2c!jjmhome!jalhome!jal
>P.O. Box 130, Colburn Rd.
>Temple, NH 03084

Theres a lot of them out there now.  They come in 2 different groups:
Interactive Design Tools or IDTs, and User Interface Management
Systems or UIMSs.  An IDT is used generally to specify what the UI for
an application will look like, but has no support for doing things
once the application gets going.  A UIMS does both.  IDTs are cheaper
or at least should be.

IDTs include
    XBuild from Nixdorf
    Builder Xcessory from ICS
    UIMX from Visual Edge
    and many others
In this group there are many that support Motif.

UIMSs include TeleUSE from TeleSoft
	      Serpent from Carnegie-Mellon
              Winterp from HP Labs
              DataViews from VI Corp.
	      TAE+ from NASA

Of this group I believe only TeleUSE meets the criteria of being a
currently available product which supports Motif.

Dataviews and TAE are not yet on Motif, Serpent and Winterp are still
in the early stages of development (They are available, but you would
have a hard time doing much with them.)

I am somewhat biased since I work for Telesoft and I think we have far
and away the best tool, however, I think that most people who do a
good evaluation agree with me.  There are still some holes of course,
but not any gaping ones.

TeleUSE offers the following:
   An editor for graphically defining windows, menus, forms, dialog
   boxes, etc.  It has complete support for all Motif, Athena widgets,
   plus user defined widgets, support for all attributes of all
   widgets, palettes for setting colors, fonts, patterns, etc.
   Multiple views, i.e. a graphical view of what the object looks
   like, and a tree/browser view of the hierarchy which is being
   created.

   A dialog manager which helpsyou specify and manage what is
   happening  while the application is running.  Includes a language,
   which is object-oriented, lots of constructs for searching the
   hierarchy and setting attributes, for example, to set the label on
   a widget named BigLabel somewhere in the widget hierarchy, the
   following command is used:
       top->BigLabel.labelString := "New Label";
   BigLabel can be anywhere in the hierarchy as long as it is unique,
   or some intermediate node is given.  Try that in X sometime.
   The dialog manager allows development of code in an interpretive
   mode, or in compiled mode.  There is also a debugger supplied for
   debugging code.  There is a large library of rountines for doing
   common things in X, which reduce coding from 30-70% for various
   tasks.

   There is also a builder tool which takes the output of the editor
   and the dialog manager and generates the application. Creates a
   makefile from a simple description file of generally only 5-10 lines.

   Any more questions, please call or write.

   Charles White
   TeleSoft
   (619)457-2700
   chas@telesoft.com
   5959 Cornerstone Ct. West
   San Diego, CA 92121-9891

From: harvard!ames!ucsd!telesoft!chas (Charles A. White @lizard)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 90 08:43:08 PDT
To: ames!harvard!jalhome!jal
Subject: Re: your mail

TeleUSE is currently available on
    DEC3100
    SUN3, SUN4, Sparcstation
    Data general Aviion
Will be available soon (next 90 days) on:
    VAX/VMS
    HP/Apollo (machines with new cobmined OS)
    IBM R6000
    A 386 box, but I'm not sure which one  (SCO probably)
       Do you know how compatible the various 386s are?

Price is $7500 for a single CPU.

Thanks for the interest.

Chas

chas@telesoft.com

paul@dialogic.com (The Imaginative Moron aka Joey Pheromone) (08/04/90)

I just wanted to say a big "thank you " to Janice for the summary. I
found it really useful. This is the way the net should be.

--
Paul Bennett	      |  			| "I give in, to sin, because
Dialogic Corp.	      |   paul@dialogic.com	|  You have to make this life