[comp.windows.x.motif] Problems with XmText

fraser@edc.UUCP (Fraser Orr) (08/08/90)

Does anyone have an idea why the XmText widget beeps at me whenever I
set the doit flag to False in an XmModifyVerifyCallback?  I have even
gone so far as to switch the bell off, but it still beeps at me!
Strangely, it works fine appart from this annoying little foible.
According to Douglas Young's new book, this flag is supposed to be
False by default, but mine is always set True unless I change it.

Thanks for any help,

==Fraser Orr <fraser@edc.uucp> +44 506 416778x206
UseNet: {uunet,sun}!atexnet!fraser JANet: fraser%edc@cs.hw.ac.uk

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (08/09/90)

In article <1490@edc.edc.UUCP> fraser@edc.UUCP (Fraser Orr) writes:
>Does anyone have an idea why the XmText widget beeps at me whenever I
>set the doit flag to False in an XmModifyVerifyCallback?

I consider this a bug in Motif 1.0. I think it has been fixed in Motif 1.1.

>I have even
>gone so far as to switch the bell off, but it still beeps at me!
>Strangely, it works fine appart from this annoying little foible.
>According to Douglas Young's new book, this flag is supposed to be
>False by default, but mine is always set True unless I change it.

I think that is an error in Doug's book. Here are my notes (extracted from
some source I wrote) on this:

* Note that the text callbacks are "weird" in that they expect values in
* the callback structure to be set inside the callback proc to determine
* what actions need to be taken after the callbackproc returns. In
* particular, the XmTextVerifyCallbackStruct's 'doit' slot is always set to True,
* and must be set to False if the callbackproc doesn't want the action to be
* taken.

	    Niels Mayer -- hplabs!mayer -- mayer@hplabs.hp.com
		  Human-Computer Interaction Department
		       Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
			      Palo Alto, CA.
				   *

carl@quad1.quad.com (Carl Priddy) (08/11/90)

In article <1490@edc.edc.UUCP>, fraser@edc.UUCP (Fraser Orr) writes:
> Does anyone have an idea why the XmText widget beeps at me whenever I
> set the doit flag to False in an XmModifyVerifyCallback?  I have even
> gone so far as to switch the bell off, but it still beeps at me!

Well, I don't know the answer but when you find it I would like to hear.
I have developed a word processor under X, and my first incarnation of the
Widget hierarchy had the text widget as the main window. I discarded this
since I needed multiple fonts and reasonable performance. But, I also had
the _doit_ flag set to false since I wanted to handle certain events myself,
and had the annoying beep. I always assumed that I had some resource and/or
callback structure element set incorrectly, but after many hours of searching,
finally gave up due to the "Motif (lack of)documentation blues". About
the Young book, be careful, as there are numerous errors and omissions therein.
Good luck.
carl.