[comp.windows.x.motif] motif from Dec vs MIT

wipke@secs.ucsc.edu (W. Todd Wipke) (08/08/90)

How much has DEC changed MOTIF ?  If one gets the MIT version is it
runnable under VMS ?
W. Todd Wipke                           wipke@secs.ucsc.edu
Molecular Engineering Laboratory        wipke@ucscd.ucsc.edu
Thimann Laboratories                    wipke@ucscd.bitnet
University of California                BBS 408 429-8019
Santa Cruz, CA  95064                   FAX 408 459-4716
=============   TCM-Online@TCM.UCSC.EDU  SUBSCRIBE  ===================

jim@sunrise.com (Jim Littlefield) (08/09/90)

In article <0093ADBF.3CED2640@secs.ucsc.edu> wipke@secs.ucsc.edu (W. Todd Wipke) writes:
>How much has DEC changed MOTIF ?  If one gets the MIT version is it
>runnable under VMS ?

DEC is currently shipping a VMS version of Motif based on OSF's version
1.0. It is VERY buggy and does not locate bitmap files properly. You must
set your default directory to the directory where the bitmap files are
located. (Too bad they didn't use 1.03.)

DEC is planning on releasing a version based on 1.1 when it becomes
available.

--

== Jim Littlefield == Sunrise Software Systems, Inc. ==
         <jim@sunrise.com | uunet!ezx!jim>

graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) (08/10/90)

> How much has DEC changed MOTIF ?  If one gets the MIT version is it
> runnable under VMS ?

MIT does not distribute OSF/Motif.  You're probably thinking
about the Open Software Foundation (OSF).

>DEC is currently shipping a VMS version of Motif based on OSF's version
>1.0. It is VERY buggy and does not locate bitmap files properly.

If you see bugs, you must  report them to Digital directly so they
can be fixed.

Christopher Graham
Digital Equipment Corp
Ultrix Resource Center
New York City

Internet: graham@fuel.enet.dec.com
UUCP:     ...!decwrl!fuel.enet.dec.com!graham

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (08/10/90)

In article <1990Aug9.133548.5513@sunrise.com>, jim@sunrise.com (Jim Littlefield) writes:

> DEC is planning on releasing a version based on 1.1 when it becomes
> available.

Anyone who knows when release 1.1 will be available?

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer (ask him).

jim@sunrise.com (Jim Littlefield) (08/10/90)

In article <1730@hugo.erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
>> DEC is planning on releasing a version based on 1.1 when it becomes
>> available.
>
>Anyone who knows when release 1.1 will be available?

I have heard that DEC has already written the 1.1 update. They are
waiting for the offical release from OSF which is suppose to begin
shipping on the 17th of August. Add the time to test the update,
write/print docs, etc and you will probably see it the beginning of
1991.

--

jayd@alliant.backbone.uoknor.edu (Jay A. Davis) (08/15/90)

In article <1720@riscy.enet.dec.com>, graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) writes:
|> > How much has DEC changed MOTIF ?  If one gets the MIT version is it
|> > runnable under VMS ?
|>
|> MIT does not distribute OSF/Motif.  You're probably thinking
|> about the Open Software Foundation (OSF).
|>
|> >DEC is currently shipping a VMS version of Motif based on OSF's version
|> >1.0. It is VERY buggy and does not locate bitmap files properly.
|>
|> If you see bugs, you must  report them to Digital directly so they
|> can be fixed.
Why the heck can't DEC test their own products before they are shipped???
Dec trashed the Xt with DECwindows and now it seems that they have slimed
the MOTIF toolkit???  GREAT!!!  I would hope that DEC would want to be
compatible with the rest of the industry and not leave things out or rename
them to other areas like they did with DECwindows.  I hope that when we write
an application on a SUN (god forbid) system running OSF's MOTIF that we can
ftp it to our DEC systems and have the code compile link and run. This is
the type of trouble we have had with the DECwindows version of X11.  I hope
DEC gets MOTIF fixed up before they "make it their standard windows interface".

|> Christopher Graham
|> Digital Equipment Corp
|> Ultrix Resource Center
|> New York City
|>
|> Internet: graham@fuel.enet.dec.com
|> UUCP:     ...!decwrl!fuel.enet.dec.com!graham

Jay Davis
Center for Analysis
and Prediction of Storms
University of Oklahoma.
Internet:  Jay@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu

This posting is very much backed up by my employer!

graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) (08/16/90)

> Why the heck can't DEC test their own products before they are shipped???
> Dec trashed the Xt with DECwindows and now it seems that they have slimed
> the MOTIF toolkit???

Care to explain what parts of Motif that we took out...or 'slimmed"??

It is not clear to me that you know who the authors/contributors and
goals to the Xt intrinsics are.   Maybe you should go take another look.

If you have a problem with Digital software, report it to Digital - this
forum is here for technical excahnge.....not diatribe or shouting
contests.

BTW:  DECwindows is not a kit....it is generic name used to describe
           Digital's desktop X products and architecture   If you do not like
           what Digital ships as a toolkit product, you're free to get the MIT
           X and/or OSF kits.  They  work fine with our workstations.