[comp.windows.x.motif] "mwm: Invalid icon bitmap" under OpenWindows 2.0

marko@mead.UUCP (Mark Osbourne) (08/16/90)

I am running OpenWindows 2.0 on a Sun 3/80 with mwm as my window
manager.  Whenever I start a programs like xclock, GNU emacs, and xrn
I get the message "mwm: Invalid icon bitmap".  All these programs have
icons associated with them and don't give me any problems when running
Xsun from X11R4.  Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be
appreciated.

[Yes, I know it's a little strange running mwm instead of olwm, but
honestly, I like mwm.  And the reason I'm running OpenWindows now is
that I have to run two programs we only have SunView versions of.]

Mark Osbourne         marko@mead.UUCP          marko%mead@uccba.uc.edu
      If it was easy, the hardware people would take care of it.

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (08/18/90)

In article <1162@meaddata.mead.UUCP> marko@mead.UUCP (Mark Osbourne) writes:

mark> I am running OpenWindows 2.0 on a Sun 3/80 with mwm as my window
mark> manager.  Whenever I start a programs like xclock, GNU emacs,
mark> and xrn I get the message "mwm: Invalid icon bitmap".

I've seen the same behaviour when running mwm under DECwindows.

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

mikey@eukanuba.wpd.sgi.com (Mike Yang) (08/21/90)

writes:
|> mark> I am running OpenWindows 2.0 on a Sun 3/80 with mwm as my
window
|> mark> manager.  Whenever I start a programs like xclock, GNU emacs,
|> mark> and xrn I get the message "mwm: Invalid icon bitmap".
|>
|> I've seen the same behaviour when running mwm under DECwindows.

One reason why mwm will emit "mwm: Invalid icon bitmap" is if the
icon_pixmap specified in hints structure is not a bitmap (i.e. not
depth 1), as the ICCCM says it should be.

With DECwindows applications, their icons were pixmaps so MWM
complains.  It's possible that with OpenWindows something similar is
happening, but I'm surprised that MWM would complain with xclock and
xrn.since these applications do indeed use bitmap icons.

                 Mike Yang        Silicon Graphics, Inc.
               mikey@sgi.com           415/335-1786

keith@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Keith Taylor) (08/21/90)

>mark> I am running OpenWindows 2.0 on a Sun 3/80 with mwm as my window
>mark> manager.  Whenever I start a programs like xclock, GNU emacs,
>mark> and xrn I get the message "mwm: Invalid icon bitmap".
>
>I've seen the same behaviour when running mwm under DECwindows.
>
>	Johan

This is probably mwm complaining about the depth of the icon pixmap
passed in. According to the ICCCM, the pixmap passed in via WM_HINTS
should be 1-pixel deep. If the pixmap is deeper than that, then
mwm will reject it.

Keith M. Taylor		keith@cv.hp.com
Hewlett-Packard
Corvallis, Oregon

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (08/21/90)

In article <1162@meaddata.mead.UUCP> marko@mead.UUCP (Mark Osbourne) writes:
>   I am running OpenWindows 2.0 on a Sun 3/80 with mwm as my window
>   manager.  Whenever I start a programs like xclock, GNU emacs, and xrn
>   I get the message "mwm: Invalid icon bitmap".  All these programs have
>   icons associated with them and don't give me any problems when running
>   Xsun from X11R4.  Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be
>   appreciated.

	These programs probably have icons with pixmaps of depth greater
	than 1.  Mwm 1.0 considered these icons to be invalid, because ICCCM
	defines valid icons to be of depth 1.  Mwm 1.1 will be more
	forgiving and display icons with pixmaps of depth > 1, although the
	colors are undefined.  If you want to get rid of these of messages
	change MakeClientIconPixmap() in clients/mwm/WmImage.c to not check
	for depth of 1.  OR, fix the clients to create depth 1 icon pixmaps
	:-).  Hope this helps,

>   [Yes, I know it's a little strange running mwm instead of olwm, but
>   honestly, I like mwm.  And the reason I'm running OpenWindows now is
>   that I have to run two programs we only have SunView versions of.]

>   Mark Osbourne         marko@mead.UUCP          marko%mead@uccba.uc.edu
>	 If it was easy, the hardware people would take care of it.

	=Mike

--
= OPEN Software Foundation -- 11 Cambridge Center -- Cambridge, MA 02142