[comp.windows.x.motif] Scrollbars in ScrolledText

ratering@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Steve Ratering) (08/25/90)

I created a widget with XmCreateScrolledText and set the text resource
XmNeditMode to XmMULTI_LINE_EDIT.  The scroll bars don't appear.  Does
anyone know why they might not appear and how I can make them appear?
Thank you.

Steve

daniel@osf.org (Daniel Dardailler) (08/25/90)

What version of Motif, what system ?
It works pretty well in 1.1.

The official OSF bug_report fro Motif might be a little *formal* for
this public group but please, at least, specify some useful information like
the release version (1.0, 1.0.A, 1.1.S, 1.1 ...), the server (R2, R3, R4) and
the client hardware (PMAX, Sun, HP...).

        Daniel Dardailler          |          OSF/Motif Team
     Open Software Foundation      |      Email : daniel@osf.org
       11 Cambridge Center         |      Phone : (617) 621 8840
       CAMBRIDGE, MA 02142         |      Fax   : (617) 621 0584

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (08/25/90)

In article <1990Aug24.181410.20667@cs.umn.edu> ratering@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Steve Ratering) writes:
> I created a widget with XmCreateScrolledText and set the text resource
> XmNeditMode to XmMULTI_LINE_EDIT.  The scroll bars don't appear.  Does
> anyone know why they might not appear and how I can make them appear?

Multi-line editing doesn't have anything to do with it.
You must set the resources XmNscrollVertical and/or XmNscrollHorizontal
to True.  Note: this *must* be done at creation time only (in at least
Motif pre-1.1).  This seems like an unreasonable requirement, but there
you have it.
--
dan
O'Reilly && Associates   argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com

murphy@ufp.dco.dec.com (Rick Murphy) (08/25/90)

(Steve Ratering) writes:
>I created a widget with XmCreateScrolledText and set the text resource
>XmNeditMode to XmMULTI_LINE_EDIT.  The scroll bars don't appear.  Does
>anyone know why they might not appear and how I can make them appear?

I've found (at least for Motif V1.0) that the horizontal scrollbar doesn't
appear if you have XmNwordWrap set to True; turning wordWrap off makes
it appear.
	-Rick
--
Rick Murphy, WA1SPT/4			Digital Customer Center, Landover, MD
Domain:  murphy@ufp.dco.dec.com -or- murphy@ufp.enet.dec.com

murphy@ufp.dco.dec.com (Rick Murphy) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug25.092403@ufp.dco.dec.com>, I wrote:
|> I've found (at least for Motif V1.0) that the horizontal scrollbar doesn't
|> appear if you have XmNwordWrap set to True; turning wordWrap off makes
|> it appear.

This is wrong. Turning ON the horizontal scrollbar turns OFF wordWrap,
not the other way around. They say the memory is the first thing to go;
I don't remember what the second thing is :-)
	-Rick