[comp.windows.x.motif] Text Widget In Popup Dialog

ems@socrates.JPL.NASA.gov (Eric Slimko) (09/01/90)

  I have a single-line Text widget inside of a popup Form Dialog
and am having problems with the activate callback, which
is supposed to be called when the user presses return. Namely,
it doesn't respond.  In test cases I have made, the activate
callback works fine when the text widget is not in a dialog
shell, but gives no response inside one.
  I thought at first that I might have a bad resource defined
somewhere that was messing with the translations or actions,
but in the test cases I have run, there are no resources defined.
I have also tried adding translations and actions to the Text
widget, but have had no success.

  Oh yeah, I'm running with Motif 1.0 under R4.

Thanks for any help you can give,
--
Eric Slimko               |  Jet Propulsion Laboratories
ems@socrates.jpl.nasa.gov |  NASA/CalTech

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug31.171033.24291@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> ems@socrates.jpl.nasa.gov writes:
>   I have a single-line Text widget inside of a popup Form Dialog
> and am having problems with the activate callback, which
> is supposed to be called when the user presses return. Namely,
> it doesn't respond.

The Form Widget is subclassed from the BulletinBoard widget..
When the BB widget is the child of a DialogShell widget (which
sounds like the case you noted above), the normal translation
table for the text dialog is overriden by the XmNtextTranslations
resource of the dialog.  This means that your text widget isn't
going to work as you expected.  You can do several things: get the
translation you want and reinstall it after you've created the widget
as a child of the Form, or you can create an intermediate compisite
widget (a rowcolumn, bulletin-board, form, etc) as a child of the
Form and make the text widget a child of that new composite widget.

--
dan
O'Reilly && Associates   argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com