[comp.windows.x.motif] Motif 1.1 shipping

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (08/30/90)

Once more with feeling.  Lots and lots of feeling:

A few days ago I announced release 1.1 of OSF/Motif.  From email I've
had, it is apparent I must repeat the following litany.

- No, OSF/Motif source is NOT available by FTP from anywhere.  It is a
  licensed software offering.  If you do find it available for free,
  please call McGruff the crime dog (our lawyers will do).

- There is ONE point of contact: "OSF Direct".  You can contact OSF
  Direct at +1(617)621-7300; if you simply want to request documents,
  including order forms and the like, you can email direct@osf.org
  (uunet!osf.org!direct).

- Existing licensees must execute a new license supplement, available
  from OSF Direct.

In particular, please do not email me with requests.  From this point
on, any such email I receive will be cheerfully and thoroughly ignored.

My posting also pointed to a fuller description on comp.newprod.  Now,
comp.newprod is a moderated group, and the posting hasn't appeared yet
(at least at this site) -- please be patient.
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

sean@dsl.pitt.edu (Sean McLinden) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug29.155636@osf.org> dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) writes:
>Once more with feeling.  Lots and lots of feeling:
>
>A few days ago I announced release 1.1 of OSF/Motif.  From email I've
>had, it is apparent I must repeat the following litany.
>
>- No, OSF/Motif source is NOT available by FTP from anywhere.  It is a
>  licensed software offering.  If you do find it available for free,
>  please call McGruff the crime dog (our lawyers will do).

Whether or not you make it available via FTP has *nothing* to do with
whether it is licensed (go back to your lawyers for this one). Many people
freely distribute software which can only, legally, be used under an
executed license agreement. This mechanism is particularly effective
if you want to insure the broadest possible usage while insuring that
users who will profit from your work share their profits with you.

It's too bad, too. The name "Open" Software Foundation is so catchy.

Sean McLinden
Decision Systems Laboratory
University of Pittsburgh

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (09/02/90)

In article <1990Sep1.125921.26895@cadre.dsl.pitt.edu> sean@dsl.pitt.edu (Sean McLinden) writes:

>Whether or not you make it available via FTP has *nothing* to do with
>whether it is licensed (go back to your lawyers for this one). Many people
>freely distribute software which can only, legally, be used under an
>executed license agreement.

    I wish there was a perfect world. I would like to live there,
    at least for couple weeks .....

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                   marbru@auto-trol.COM

sean@dsl.pitt.edu (Sean McLinden) (09/02/90)

In article <804@auto-trol.UUCP> marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) writes:
>In article <1990Sep1.125921.26895@cadre.dsl.pitt.edu> sean@dsl.pitt.edu (Sean McLinden) writes:
>>
>>Whether or not you make it available via FTP has *nothing* to do with
>>whether it is licensed (go back to your lawyers for this one). Many people
>>freely distribute software which can only, legally, be used under an
>>executed license agreement.
>>
>    I wish there was a perfect world. I would like to live there,
>    at least for couple weeks .....

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step." Finding
people (and corporations) to take it is another matter.