[comp.windows.x.motif] Mwm/Motif 1.1 on Sparc?

dnb@meshugge.media.mit.edu (David N. Blank) (09/08/90)

Howdy-
  Very shortly I will be attempting to compile/port Motif 1.1 (esp.
mwm) straight from the release tape to the following environment:
        Sun IPC (Sun 4 Sparc), SunOS 4.1, X11R4

I would guess that others have done this already.  Is there anything
nasty in the process waiting to bite me?  Patches required? Thanks
muchly in advance for this information.
        Peace,
           dNb

ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) (09/09/90)

In article <DNB.90Sep7130406@meshugge.media.mit.edu>, dnb@meshugge.media.mit.edu (David N. Blank) writes:
> Howdy-
>   Very shortly I will be attempting to compile/port Motif 1.1 (esp.
> mwm) straight from the release tape to the following environment:
>         Sun IPC (Sun 4 Sparc), SunOS 4.1, X11R4
>
> I would guess that others have done this already.  Is there anything
> nasty in the process waiting to bite me?  Patches required? Thanks
> muchly in advance for this information.

To do this in the most complete fashion first have the full X.V11 R4 source
tree available. Then: First ensure that all 14 mit patches have been
applied to the X11R4 tree, and the motif Xt patch has been applied.

Use the script mit/util/scripts/lndir.sh to build a shadow tree.
(We will build the libs and execuatable here).

modify the Imakefile in the MIT directory to add 2 directories to build
demosmotif and tools (demosmotif will be a set of links to the
motif demos).  Using lndir.sh (after creating these two directories)
link demosmotif to the demos directory in the motif area: Link tools to
the tools area in the motif source. Next rename the config area in the
shadow tree config.mit, and create and link a directory call config with
config in the motif area.

Now go into the lib directory in the shadow tree: rename the Imakefile link
to Imakefile.mit, edit a copy and add the directories Xm and Mrm to the
directories list. As above create these directories and link them with
lndir.sh to the lib/Xm and lib/Mrm directories in the motif source area.

Now go to mit/clients, edit the Imakefile to add clients mwm and uil:
Create and link these directoires to clients/mwm and clients/uil in
the motif source area:(using lndir.sh again).

Now we can start to build X and motif.
If you feel brave you can just type make World and wait:

Alternativly you could do
make Makefile:
make Makefiles,
Check that all directories you added to the tree are visited in this
process.
make include;
make depend
make
Actually if you get past make Makefile, you could just do a  make World
and start all over with little time lost:

After from 2 to 10 hours you will have a set of executable etc to
begin to test.

					Good Luck
					Lyle Meier

Texaco Inc Exploration and Producing Technology Department
Houston Texas 77072

uunet!convex!texhrc!ldm

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (09/10/90)

In article <498@texhrc.UUCP> ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) writes:
How about those of us who don't want uil, mrm, etc.?  I just want to
    cd lib/Xm; make
and use that library.  Is this easy or do I have to do *everything*
that you described?
--
dan
O'Reilly && Associates   argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (09/10/90)

David N. Blank <dnb@meshugge.media.mit.edu> writes:

	I would guess that others have done this already.  Is there
	anything nasty in the process waiting to bite me?  Patches
	required?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Say, that's a funny one!

-----

Here's what will bite you: none of this code has been written with the
vaguest notion that it would be compiled on a SPARC.  There are tons of
problems, and I imagine there will continue to be for a while.  1.0
never got to the point where I couldn't make it core dump after a
while.  I doubt 1.1 will be any better.  I've already found dozens of
things that just plain don't work on a SPARC (actually, i'm really
suprised that some of it works on DEC an HP machines ...).

Don't give up, though!  If you have source, send your bugs into the
motif-talk mailing list (leading off many questions: no, this is a
mailing list for licensees of source, not a public mailing list).  I
send my bug reports to both the motif-defect list (not distributed) and
the motif-talk list (distributed to all source licensees) so that
people know where I am and don't have to guess what has already been
done.

/jordan

ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) (09/15/90)

In article <142073@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) writes:
> In article <498@texhrc.UUCP> ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) writes:
> How about those of us who don't want uil, mrm, etc.?  I just want to
>     cd lib/Xm; make
> and use that library.  Is this easy or do I have to do *everything*
> that you described?
> --
> dan
Basically if you don't need a directory you can just omit it. Unfortunatly
then you probably can't run the demos provided. To build just Xm build
the links, and do the changes and type make makefile in the directory,
make makefiles in Xm (It should do nothing, but it doesn't hurt), make
depend if you need to , and then make.

ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) (09/15/90)

some supply uil (Dec) and some do not (IBM RS 6000). A number of
developers here at Texaco use UIL and like it. What I would like to
know is: 1 is uil required to be supplied for an implementation to
be called motif. If it is not, how portable are the .uid files that
come from uil. For example, assume I have a machine with uil on it,
( A dec, a machine covered by our source code license or some other
vendors machine with uil), and a machine without uil ( A convex, a
IBM or an xyz). Can I copy the .uid file from the a machine of the
first class to a machine of the second class and reasonably expect it
to work ?

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (09/17/90)

In article <500@texhrc.UUCP> ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) writes:
>IBM or an xyz). Can I copy the .uid file from the a machine of the
>first class to a machine of the second class and reasonably expect it
>to work ?

    You gotta be kidding. But you certainly can port over your UIL
    file and compile it on the target (if you like UIL so much, I don't).
    At least as long as the UIL compiler understands all the widgets
    you are using. My problem from 1.0 is that I have to add widgets,
    which (using the WML facility) means to re-compile and re-build
    the UIL "compiler" for EACH machine I am using. Thanx, NO, thanx.

    [ a while ago I promised NOT to bash UIL for 10 days, I consider
      this period offialy over ].

    To Lyle Meier (and others using UIL). Please, take a look at Wc/Mri.
    It is out of OSF monopoly,  and and and - just try it, please.

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                   marbru@auto-trol.COM