[net.travel] Info wanted on California

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (03/20/85)

>From: heiser@cca.UUCP (Bill Heiser)
>Newsgroups: net.travel
>Subject: Info wanted on California
>
>                                                 I hope to see a little
>of both LA and SF.  Does this sound feasible for a 1-week vacation?

Yes, if all you want  to  see  is  a  _little_  (very).  Better  plan  your
itinerary in each city well in advance.

>                                                                     Also,
>can anyone tell me if November would be a good time to go there?
>I hope to also see some of the beaches.  How late in the year is it warm
>enough there to go "beaching"?

Depends what you mean by "warm enough" and "beaching".  The surfers  in  my
neighborhood  (Ocean  Park)  are in the water every day, rain or shine, all
year 'round -- in wetsuits, of course.  L.A. weather in November is hard to
predict.  Sometimes it's warm and balmy, sometimes it's wind and rain.  San
Francisco is usually pretty cold by then.

>                                 What kinds of things should I plan on doing,
>and are there any specific things I should try to see while I am out there?

What do you like?  Standard L.A. tourist attractions are Disneyland (really
in  Orange  County),  the  Universal  Studios Tour (5 hours to see it all),
Mann's Chinese Theater (stars' footprints, etc.), and the  Hollywood  Blvd.
Walk  of  Fame,  to  name  a  few, but there's something to suit almost any
interest.

Standards in San Francisco include Ghirardelli Square, the cable cars,  and
Fisherman's Wharf.

>Does anyone know who I can write to to get specific travel info, such as
>places to stay, places to visit, etc?

The Auto Club (AAA) is usually a good source of information.  Also try the
Tourist Bureaus and Chambers of Commerce.

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe