[comp.windows.x.motif] Poll: How should mwm -multiscreen work?

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (10/02/90)

I believe that mwm's -multiscreen is broken.  Here's your chance to tell
me I'm either right, or that I should go bark at the moon.

For starters, here's the scenario.  Running mwm 1.1 on a Sun w/ three
frame buffers; screens 0, 1 and 2 respectively.  My .mwmrc file has an
entry that creates a menu on the root screen, one of which is to create
an xterm.  When I click on the root window of screen 0, the menu comes
up, I drag down to the xterm selection, release, and get my xterm on
screen 0.  Great so far.  Doing the same thing on screen 1 or 2 however,
results in the xterm also coming up on screen 0.  This seems to occur
as a byproduct of mwm's DISPLAY "envariable" (which is ":0") being
interpreted as ":0.0" by child processes.

I believe this to be a major failing.  An email conversation with David
Brooks of OSF has identified two options:

1.  Using resources, create separate, nearly identical root menus in
my .mwmrc which set an appropriate -display command line option for
the f.exec on each screen.

2.  OSF can modify mwm to explicitly set the "envariable" to match the
screen on which the action is taken.

I personally opt for the latter.  What does the rest of the world think?
Email me, I will summarize and submit/not submit a bug report based on
the outcome of the poll.

Thank you for your support.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

Stirring up trouble again.

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (10/02/90)

Kaleb Keithley <kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

	I believe that mwm's -multiscreen is broken.

I agree.  TWM does this, and it seems to be the best solution.

From clients/twm/menus.c ...

    /*
     * Build a display string using the current screen number, so that
     * X programs which get fired up from a menu come up on the screen
     * that they were invoked from, unless specifically overridden on
     * their command line.
     */

/jordan

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Oct1.174410.24030@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov> kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley	) writes:

| I believe that mwm's -multiscreen is broken.  Here's your chance to tell
| me I'm either right, or that I should go bark at the moon.
|
| For starters, here's the scenario.  Running mwm 1.1 on a Sun w/ three
| frame buffers; screens 0, 1 and 2 respectively.  My .mwmrc file has an
| entry that creates a menu on the root screen, one of which is to create
| an xterm.  When I click on the root window of screen 0, the menu comes
| up, I drag down to the xterm selection, release, and get my xterm on
| screen 0.  Great so far.  Doing the same thing on screen 1 or 2 however,
| results in the xterm also coming up on screen 0.  This seems to occur
| as a byproduct of mwm's DISPLAY "envariable" (which is ":0") being
| interpreted as ":0.0" by child processes.

	Yes, there is a bug in Mwm 1.1 where if the DISPLAY environment
	variable is set to ":0", f.exec's may not display on the correct
	screen.  This should be fixed by Motif 1.1.1.  But until then the
	work around is to set DISPLAY to hostname:0 (i.e. DISPLAY = unix:0,
	local:0, and hostname:0.0).  Hope this helps,

	=Mike

--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Senior SW Engineer

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (10/03/90)

In article <YEE.90Oct2163309@chapman.osf.org> yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:

>	Yes, there is a bug in Mwm 1.1 where if the DISPLAY environment
>	variable is set to ":0", f.exec's may not display on the correct
>	screen.  This should be fixed by Motif 1.1.1.  But until then the
>	work around is to set DISPLAY to hostname:0 (i.e. DISPLAY = unix:0,
>	local:0, and hostname:0.0).  Hope this helps,
>
>	=Mike
>
>--
>= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
>= OSF/Motif Senior SW Engineer

Thank you very much.  Consider the "poll" terminated.