[comp.windows.x.motif] Ada binding

lmgc@gmv.es (Luis Mariano Gonzalez) (10/03/90)

Hello,

I am looking for Ada binding to Motif and Open Look. Does anyone know
where I can get them. It is very urgent.

Thanks in Advance

L.M. Gonzalez                            Ph. +34 1 534 30 04
Grupo de Mecanica del Vuelo, S.A. (GMV)  Fax +34 1 533 32 50
Cristobal Bordiu, 35                     Telex  48487 GMEV E
E-28003 MADRID                           lmgonzalez@gmv.es
SPAIN                                    mcvax!gmv.es!lmgonzalez@uunet.uu.net
                                         uunet!mcvax!gmv.es!lmgonzalez

rcs@SEI.CMU.EDU (rCs) (10/05/90)

> I am looking for Ada binding to Motif and Open Look. Does anyone know
> where I can get them. It is very urgent.

i'm not sure any exist, but it turns out this was one of the problems
we accidently solved with serpent.  serpent supports user interface
development using both the motif and athena toolkit widget sets for
X windows AND includes an Ada binding.

this allows the development of ada applications for these X window
toolkits but requires the use of serpent.  we don't necessarily
view this as a bad thing, however. 8^}  we have not yet integrated
the Open Look toolkit but we have developed a tool that allows the
easy integration of X intrinsic based toolkits (i.e., XTK+ but
not XViews).  this tool is provided with serpent and we can assist
you in the integration if you chose to attempt it.  our experience
has been that it takes approximately 1/2 hour per widget to integrate
a new, X intrinsic based toolkit.

support for both ada and X has been a strong selling point for
serpent.  there are several groups who are currently developing ada
applications with Motif based user interfaces using serpent.

Also, SAIC developed an Ada binding to Xlib under STARS contract.
The (new! improved!) X11R4 binding (for several different compilers)
will be released sometime in September.  To get on the mailing list for
further information, send mail to x-ada-request@expo.lcs.mit.edu.

serpent is available for anonymous ftp and is also available on
the MIT X11 Contrib tape.  (see my previous post for more info, or
contact me).

rCs