[net.travel] Going to London, need suggestions

dir@obo586.UUCP (Dan Rosenblatt) (03/16/85)

I'm going on a theatre tour to London for a week in March.
Am very interested in period architecture, furniture,
costuming (theatre), and historic dwellings. Does anybody
have suggestions about "must see" attractions or "don't bothers"?
Also, does anyone know where to rent a horse for pleasure riding
in London?  Where are good, inexpensive places to eat?

Please reply by mail unless you believe others would benefit
from a followup posting.

Thanx in advance.
Dan Rosenblatt for Laura Love.

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (03/19/85)

>From: dir@obo586.UUCP (Dan Rosenblatt)
>Subject: Going to London, need suggestions
>
>in London?  Where are good, inexpensive places to eat?

I'd like to take the opportunity to recommend a relatively  new  restaurant
in  the North London area.  It's called _Mulholland Drive_ and features the
cuisine of Los Angeles, California.  The proprietor, Robert Jones, lived in
L.A. off and on for a few years and decided to import his impression of the
best of the local restaurant dishes to his native London.

The location is a bit unusual (would you believe a 3rd floor walk  up?  but
to the British it's the 2nd floor) and finding it could be an adventure for
those unfamiliar with London's public transport system.  On the other hand,
Rob is a good chef (I speak from personal experience -- he was my room mate
for a while) and the place should provide a pleasant break  from  the  more
typical British fare.

The address:

                             Mulholland Drive
                   201-203 Stoke Newington Church Street
                                London, N16
                                  England

                            Phone: 01-254-6584

                     Robert Jones & Hazel Dunn, Prop.
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                               If thy CRT offend thee, pluck
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                      it out and cast it from thee.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

gnome@oliveb.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (03/21/85)

> I'm going on a theatre tour to London for a week in March.
> Am very interested in period architecture, furniture,
> costuming (theatre), and historic dwellings. Does anybody
> have suggestions about "must see" attractions or "don't bothers"?
> Also, does anyone know where to rent a horse for pleasure riding
> in London?  Where are good, inexpensive places to eat?
>
> Please reply by mail unless you believe others would benefit
> from a followup posting.
>
> Thanx in advance.
> Dan Rosenblatt for Laura Love.

OK --  A "must see" is definately STARLIGHT EXPRESS !!

A dynamic, flashy, and impressive (if somewhat loud) show.
NOT TO BE MISSED!

However, if you are into theatre, and have heard about the NYC
version of CATS (the fantastic make-up, the catlike moves, the impressive
set) and like what you have heard, DON'T see the London version.
It lacks all of the above.  Really, it is boring.

Gary

barry@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mikki Barry) (03/21/85)

After living in England for two years, may I offer some suggestions?

Eat at pubs, chippies, and/or Wimpy bars.  (wimpy = cheap burger joint).
This REALLY cuts down on cost.  Fish and chips with malt vinegar....yum!
Pub food is also quite excellent, and usually cheaper the further you get
from London.

Also, I would humbly suggest a vist to my second home town of Arundel,
West Sussex.  A one hour drive almost due south from London.  It boasts
a magnificent restoration of a castle from pre-1066, including many relics
of the realm not found elsewhere.  It also has a gorgeous cathedral, a nifty
wildlife preserve (ask for Terrance and his swans), a fabulous pub with
great food (the Red Lion on High Street), Belinda's Tea Room, famous for
high teas, too many antique shops, and a fun place to stay, the Arundel
House on High Street.  costs about 17 pounds per night and comes complete
with Charles, the inkeeper who'll tell you all the gossip, and cook you
a fantastic English Breakfast.

Gee, now you've gone and made me homesick!

Mikki Barry

p.s.  DO NOT, under any circumstances, say "Have a nice day" to ANYONE
      over there.  They will all burst out laughing.  If they say it to
      you (and the "they" isn't American) take it as an insult.