[net.travel] Information requested on People Express

coffler@grok.DEC (Jeff Coffler) (03/17/85)

I have some flight plans for People Express, and would like to hear
any comments (good or bad) about the airline.

Apparently, with People Express, you don't buy tickets in advance.
Instead, you pay on board the plane.  A little unusual ... anybody
have any problems of not being able to get on a confirmed flight?

Comments would be appreciated.  Please respond directly to me rather
than the mailing list ... I don't receive NET.TRAVEL.  Thanks.

	-- Jeff Coffler

todd@bu-cs.UUCP (Todd Cooper) (03/19/85)

please post the answers ALSO!!
--
---------------------------
Todd Cooper

UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!todd
ARPA:	todd%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

barry@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mikki Barry) (03/21/85)

Ok, you asked for it...

Being a frequent flyer on many airlines, I can tell you I don't think very
much of people express.  Here are the reasons

1.  Domestic flights have no seating assignments.  Boarding is like a
    cattle call.  Everyone crushes to the front of the plane if they are
    non smokers, or squishes behind if they are smokers.  By the time I
    usually get a seat, I end up one row in front of the smoking section.
    Being SEVERELY allergic to smoke, I wind up quite upset, and ill.
    (yes, I have tried pre-boarding, and sometimes get in, and sometimes
     get hassled)

2.  The seats are squished together worse than a greyhound bus.

3.  You ain't gonna get fed

4.  You pay extra to check your bags, and it takes longer to get them
    back on the other side.

5.  They've just increased fares on their most popular routes, making their
    price difference insignificant.

Newark/London problems!

1.  After begging for a seat as far away from smokers as possible, (so I didn;t
    spend 6-7 hours with a barf bag), and being assured of a clear seat, I was
    stuck one row in front of the smoking section.  The plane was full, and
    nobody would exchange seats with me.  I was ill for the entire flight.

2.  When notifying staff of this problem on the return trip, I was apologized
    to profusely, then sat in exactly the same seat.  Seems they didn't know
    that some idiot had divided the plane so that smoking sections alternated
    with multiple non-smoking sections.  Hence any non smoker behind a smoking
    section got the stuff blown in their face, PLUS anything that came up from
    behind.  Another sick flight.

As far as I'm concerned, it's worth whatever extra I have to pay to get a meal,
good service, and NO SMOKING IN MY FACE!!!!

Mikki (cough, hack) Barry

macrakis@harvard.ARPA (Stavros Macrakis) (03/21/85)

> Being a frequent flyer on many airlines, I can tell you I don't think very
> much of People Express.  Here are the reasons.... [ : No seat assignments;
> Tight seating; No food; Bag hassles; Higher fares now ]

I've always found PE perfectly reasonable for Boston-NY.  I haven't
looked at the prices lately, but it used to be the case that the price
was reasonable for the level of service you were getting.  The main
inherent problem I found was scheduling: their planes are very tightly
scheduled through the day, so if there is a delay somewhere, it cascades
to the rest of the day's schedules.  As for food, I'd rather bring my
own than eat most airlines'.

For longer flights, especially trans-Atlantic, my comfort is more
important to me.  Swissair has the best service; unsurprisingly, it is
always full....  My best trans-Atlantic flight, though, was when I
crossed on a plane so empty that I could find four seats to lie across;
the airline's name was Braniff.

	-s