[comp.windows.x.motif] what's in 1.0 -> 1.1

spot@CS.CMU.EDU (Scott Draves) (09/29/90)

Can anyone summerize the differences between Motif 1.0 and 1.1?  Am I
wasting my time writing for 1.0?
--

			Consume
Scott Draves		Be Silent

tjhorton@ai.toronto.edu ("Timothy J. Horton") (09/29/90)

spot@CS.CMU.EDU (Scott Draves) writes:

>Can anyone summerize the differences between Motif 1.0 and 1.1?  Am I
>wasting my time writing for 1.0?

Can anyone summarize the differences/purpose inherent in Motif 1.0.A ??
Was 1.0.A a bug fix, or was it intended to give 1.0 developers an upward
compatible path to Motif 1.1 ??

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (10/05/90)

And in article <SPOT.90Sep28154902@TR5.GP.CS.CMU.EDU>,
tjhorton@ai.toronto.edu (Timothy J. Horton) writes:

|> Can anyone summarize the differences/purpose inherent in Motif 1.0.A ??
|> Was 1.0.A a bug fix, or was it intended to give 1.0 developers an upward
|> compatible path to Motif 1.1 ??

The main reason for 1.0.A was to introduce the "widget meta-language",
which removes knowledge of the toolkit repertoire from the internals
of uil.  Essentially, it uses tables to build a customized UIL.
Before that, UIL only knew about vanilla Motif.

There were also important bugfixes here and in 1.0.2 and 1.0.3.  You
could look at 1.0.A as a step on a compatibility path, but at the
application interface level there really haven't been any quantum
leaps.

Switching to 1.1, there is almost complete campatibility from 1.0.x.
Some resource names changed at 1.0.A, and some convenience routines
changed at 1.1 (they weren't in the Application Environment
Specification before).

The significant additions to 1.1 are:
  - base is now the STANDARD X11R4 Intrinsics
  - full-blown keyboard traversal is implemented
  - the window manager handles multiple screens
  - moving towards full internationalization
but there are lots of others.

No, you aren't wasting your time: it's compatible with 1.0 except for
the routines names I referred to, and a few other minor things
outlines in the Release Notes.
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

dimitar@quintus.UUCP (Dimitar Bojantchev) (10/16/90)

David Brooks of OSF writes:

>The significant additions to 1.1 are:
>  - base is now the STANDARD X11R4 Intrinsics
>  - full-blown keyboard traversal is implemented
>  - the window manager handles multiple screens
>  - moving towards full internationalization

Can you comment a bit more on what exactly has been accomplished in
Motif1.1 in the direction of internationalization and what strategy
has OSF set for Motif in that direction?

Thanks,

        Dimitar

--
Dimitar Bojantchev                    ARPANET: quintus!dimitar@SUN.COM
Quintus Computer Systems, Inc.                 ...sun!quintus!dimitar