[comp.windows.x.motif] Motion/button events

cjross@bbn.com (chris ross) (10/29/90)

I and several coworkers have encountered some bizarre problems with delivery
of mouse events to Motif widgets.  They _seem_ to be related, so I'm posting
four of them in this one article.  None are reliably reproducible.  All are
annoyances at best, and at worst, potential show-stoppers for our product.

The environment:
 SparcStation 1 with Sun/OS 4.0.3, dual monitors (cgsix & cgthree)
 OpenWindows 2.0
 Motif 1.0.3 from ICS
 Mwm with KeyboardFocusPolicy == explicit

1.  Button events go to the wrong PushButton.  I click down on a button,
causing a menu bar to appear.  I release the button, move to the menu bar,
and push a button there.  The first button arms, rather than the button
under the cursor.

2.  Button events go to the wrong window.  I click in a DrawingArea,
release, move to a window on the other monitor, and click again.  The button
event goes to the DrawingArea on the first monitor.

3.  A MessageDialog is created in response to a button click in a Drawing
Area widget, but no amount of clicking or cursing will arm the buttons in
the dialog; the events get picked up by the DrawingArea.

4.  ScrollBars randomly stop tracking mouse events that occur outside the
widget.  I click down on the slider and begin moving the cursor; the slider
only moves while the cursor is in the scroll bar.

  Please let me know if you've encountered any of the above, and if you
know of workarounds.  Thanx.

chris ross   cjross@bbn.com   BBN Advanced Simulations
#include <signatures/humorous.h>

san@cs.utexas.edu (Steve Sanderson) (10/31/90)

I'm using a SPARCstation 1+ w/OpenWindows 2.0 & mwm - I've noticed much of
the same problems re: the wrong widgets getting the focus.  I'll click
one toggleButton, move to a second and click it - but the select goes to
the first one...

From the rumors I've heard, I believe it's OpenWindows 2.0 incompatability
w/"other" widget sets...

I've not found a work around - just cursing...

Steve Sanderson
halley!san@cs.utexas.edu

sivan@bpa_su10.Sbi.Com (Sivan Mahadevan) (10/31/90)

In article <60396@bbn.BBN.COM>, cjross@bbn.com (chris ross) writes:
> I and several coworkers have encountered some bizarre problems with delivery
> of mouse events to Motif widgets.  They _seem_ to be related, so I'm posting

> The environment:
>  OpenWindows 2.0

> 1.  Button events go to the wrong PushButton.  I click down on a button,
> causing a menu bar to appear.  I release the button, move to the menu bar,
> and push a button there.  The first button arms, rather than the button
> under the cursor.

> 2.  Button events go to the wrong window.  I click in a DrawingArea,
> release, move to a window on the other monitor, and click again.  The button
> event goes to the DrawingArea on the first monitor.

I posted a reply to a similar question on comp.windows.x:

	There are a number of bugs with the xnews server in OpenWindows 2.0
	including one that might be causing the problem you are encountering.
	When a button is grabbed (i.e, betwen button press and button release)
	some events get discarded.  We noticed that LeaveNotify events get
	discarded when a button is grabbed (this breaks Motif toggle-button
	widgets when using the default translations).  We have not received a
	fix for this server bug yet, but Sun is aware of it.

--
Sivan Mahadevan
Salomon Brothers Inc	Bond Portfolio Analysis		Analytical Applications Group