[comp.windows.x.motif] Converting DECwindows-UIL -> Motif-UIL

andreas@didymus.rmi.de (Andreas Fassl) (10/29/90)

Godday,

we've got an application programmed under X11 and DECwindows UIL.
In the near future it shall be transfered to an unix system under
motif. I would really appreciate any experience-reports by someone
doing this before.

Thanks,

and "Mit freundlichen Gruessen" (german)

Andreas Fassl

klr@hadron.COM (Kurt L. Reisler) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct29.084109.4326@didymus.rmi.de> andreas@didymus.rmi.de (Andreas Fassl) writes:

>we've got an application programmed under X11 and DECwindows UIL.
>In the near future it shall be transfered to an unix system under
>motif. I would really appreciate any experience-reports by someone
>doing this before.

I am in the middle of doing this at the moment.  The conversion serves
two purposes, to get a rather large Ultrix UIL application ported to
OSF/Motif, and then to port it to several other non-DEC UNIX platforms,
which also support OSF/Motif.

The "DECwindows Developer Kit for OSF/Motif, version 1.0" comes with a
series of porting tools (actually filters) that will do a large portion
of the initial work.  They do leave quite a bit of the work to you, and
they can not handle (but they do flag) places where the internals have
changed.  They get installed in ../DX[M|V]/tools.  I strongly suggest
saving the last release (SCCS or RCS) of your source code in a seperate
directory before running the tools.  Also make sure you read the release
notes.

There are several "gotchas" in the conversion.  One that leaps to mind
is that all "y" values are converted to "XmNy", but "x" values are
untouched.

Also the XmList widget seems to be dented (not completely broken), in
that if you make it insensitive in the UIL module, you can never make it
sensitive via calls from the C code.  The converse is not true.  Also
the XmList calls which select or deselect a list entry by item name do
not (seem) to work, while those that serve the same function by position
in the list do.

I have been keeping a list of problems and things to watch out for.
Will pass it along later in the project.

Kurt Reisler (703) 359-6100
UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
..!{uunet|sundc|rlgvax|netxcom|decuac}!hadron!klr       | 9990 Lee Highway
Sysop, Fido 109/101 The Bear's Den   (703) 671-0598     | Fairfax, VA 22030