[comp.windows.x.motif] xrdb and motif

pasturel@sctc.com (Pierre Pasturel) (10/30/90)

 xrdb -l ~/.Xdefaults does not seem to work when using the mwm.
I have to exit the mwm session and then re-xinit for changes to
Xdefaults to take effect.

 A co-worker had no problem using xrdb with Twm.  Does it not work
with mwm ????

Pierre
pasturel@sctc.com

>  xrdb -l ~/.Xdefaults does not seem to work when using the mwm.
> I have to exit the mwm session and then re-xinit for changes to
> Xdefaults to take effect.
>
>  A co-worker had no problem using xrdb with Twm.  Does it not work
> with mwm ????
You certainly have to rerun mwm.  But that's all.  If you don't have to
do that with Twm I assume it's doing some special stuff to reload
resources - that would work for application defined things, but not
for the Intrinsics.  TWM probably doesn't use Xt, Mwm does.

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct29.224040.1632@sctc.com> pasturel@sctc.com (Pierre Pasturel) writes:
|  xrdb -l ~/.Xdefaults does not seem to work when using the mwm.
| I have to exit the mwm session and then re-xinit for changes to
| Xdefaults to take effect.
|
|  A co-worker had no problem using xrdb with Twm.  Does it not work
| with mwm ????
|

| Pierre
| pasturel@sctc.com

	Yes, you currently have to restart mwm for the changes to take
	place.  We are looking into having a set of resources be dynamic
	(i.e. dynamically change a resource while mwm is running) for Mwm
	1.2.  What resources would you want to be dynamic?

	As far as I know you do need to restart TWM for changes in .twmrc to
	take effect.  Almost all TWM resources are defined in .twmrc and the
	function to re-read .twmrc (i.e. f.twmrc) does a restart.  What does
	your "co-worker" change in TWM??

	=Mike
--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Senior SW Engineer

lcp@ibism.UUCP (Larry Poleshuck) (11/03/90)

In article <YEE.90Nov1162418@edsvcs.osf.org>, yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:

> In article <1990Oct29.224040.1632@sctc.com> pasturel@sctc.com (Pierre Pasturel) writes:
> |  xrdb -l ~/.Xdefaults does not seem to work when using the mwm.
> | I have to exit the mwm session and then re-xinit for changes to
> | Xdefaults to take effect.

> 	Yes, you currently have to restart mwm for the changes to take
> 	place.  We are looking into having a set of resources be dynamic
> 	(i.e. dynamically change a resource while mwm is running) for Mwm
> 	1.2.  What resources would you want to be dynamic?

However, you don't have to restart xinit to get mwm to reload the xrdb
resources.  You can add the f.restart function to your root menu.  restart
restarts mwm without affecting either you server or clients.

Larry Poleshuck
Citibank
111 Wall Street
New York, NY  10043