[comp.windows.x.motif] "grabbing the screen"

argv@Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (10/29/90)

I'd like to grab the screen much in the same way that Motif does
so that I don't step on its toes if it decides to grab the screen
too.  I am hesitant to just implement an XtGrabPointer() function
(despite a recent message I posted recommending its use) because
it just occured to me that if, in the process, Motif wants to do
a grab as well (an error dialog comes with with a system-modal
dialog), it should be successful.  Perhaps by mimicing the way
it does the grab, I might be able to figure out a way that is more
compatible with Motif.  But I just rummaged thru the source and
can find no use of XtGrabPointer other than in menus and the "tracking"
functions.

So, the roundabout question is: just how does the Motif toolkit
implement its application- and system-modal dialog pointer grabs?

--dan

paul@ixi.uucp (Paul Davey) (11/08/90)

In article <9010290159.AA01987@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM>
 argv@Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) writes:

->   So, the roundabout question is: just how does the Motif toolkit
->   implement its application- and system-modal dialog pointer grabs?
->
->   --dan

In short it doesn't. Mwm does it.

And if it's not running - it doesn't
In this case your grabs aren't modal at all.

I haven't looked at 1.1 yet but programmed around this at 1.0 by doing
a grab for system modal functionality.

--
 Regards,			 pd@x.co.uk          IXI Limited
	Paul Davey		 pd@ixi.uucp         62-74 Burleigh St.

> I haven't looked at 1.1 yet but programmed around this at 1.0 by doing
> a grab for system modal functionality.

Not in anything you ship, I hope.  I can not think of one reason that
would justify a system modal dialog (unless you are writing a real-time
application).  There's more than one application in the world and the
user often does multiple things at the same time.  I don't even like
Mwm's exit dialog.

				-kee

dm@gene.com (David Mischel) (11/10/90)

	I can not think of one reason that
	would justify a system modal dialog ...

hmmm.  i feel i must defend myself.  i wrote a version of xkill -all
which pops up a system model dialog box ("do you really want to logout now?").
but other than that, i agree with kee.

< david
David Mischel                       These opinions are cloned from my very own
dm@genie.gene.com                   cells, and not from any belonging to
                                    Genentech, Inc.