[comp.windows.x.motif] Need source to any Motif widget

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (11/22/90)

I urgently need the source to any Motif widget for an emergency
ramp-up on widget writing a-la-Motif.  I am a reasonably educated
Xlib person and Xm *user*, but now I gotta write a widget by
Monday 11/26.

The target is something akin to a scale widget, but elaborated:
It is to be a storage tank level indicator, with "set points"
chosen by the user for actions to be taken when the tank level
crosses a set point.

   +-----+-------+
   |     |       |
   | ->  |       |      -> set-points
   |     |       |
   |     |       |
   | ->  |       |
   | ->  |-------| current level
   |     | some  |
   |     | color |
   |     |       |
   |     |       |
   |     |       |
   |     +-------+
   |             |
   | <text-label>|
   +-------------+

I would appreciate any sample code or pointers.  I'll be forever grateful.

Warren Tucker, TuckerWare emory!n4hgf!wht or wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
ANSI C should have been named D, or Son of C

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (11/23/90)

In article <241@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US>, wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) writes:
> I urgently need the source to any Motif widget for an emergency

Thanks to the folks who pointed me at  Douglas Young's excellent motif
examples.  I'm going to buy his book!

marbru@attc.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (11/24/90)

In article <241@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US> wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) writes:
>I urgently need the source to any Motif widget for an emergency
>ramp-up on widget writing a-la-Motif.  I am a reasonably educated
>Xlib person and Xm *user*, but now I gotta write a widget by
>Monday 11/26.

   If you have never written a widget, you better use XmDrawArea
   to accomplish what you want. For any specific input, you can
   always use XtAddActions. Trying to learn how to write a widget
   in two days is ... ambicious.

   But if you really want to do it, use Dave Young's book. There is
   nothing terribly Motif-dependent in your widget. You don't even have
   to subclass of XmPrimitive, since you won't use any of its resources
   anyway. The only things that make Motif widgets writing a sorrow
   experience are related to Motif traversal - I doubt you need it.

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky [BORN TO BASH UIL]                  marbru@auto-trol.COM