[comp.windows.x.motif] 1024x768 mode: does it work?

moore@betelgeuse.cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore) (11/30/90)

In article <1177@lafayet.UUCP> rob@lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) writes:
>Hello.
>
>I have an Orchid ProDesigner II with a NEC 4D monitor under Open Desktop.
>
>I would like to use the 1024x768 mode but it is only supported on
>the original Prodesigner.  The configuration works fine in 800x600 mode.
>
>Has anyone been successful using the Prodesigner II in 1024x768 mode
>under ODT ?
>
>It would be a matter of editing the grafinfo files giving appropriate
>memory addresses and register settings.  I just dont have the technical
>info on the card ... Anybody ?
>
>Thanks.  Rob.

I have the same problem.  I ordered the technical reference manual
from Orchid for this card -- which amounts to the data book on the
ET4000 video chip.  The book contains, among other things, lists of
register settings that are appropriate for each of the various VGA
modes.

I think it should not be too difficult to get this working in 16 color
mode.  256 color mode is another story - since none of the supported
displays seem to have 256 color mode in that resolution, I have my
doubts that the Xsight server works in that mode.

If I can't find an adapter that works off the shelf (see below), I'll
probably try to write one for the ProDesigner II.  If I get one working,
I'll post it.

@begin( PLEA FOR HELP )

I'm curious: does anyone have *any* graphics adapter running with
Open Desktop in 1024x768 mode with 16 colors, in a 33Mhz 386 box, with
an interlaced monitor?

So far I've tried the ProDesigner II (no, it's not compatible with
the Orchid Designer), and the Video7 1024i.  The ProDesigner II card
has completely different register settings in 1024x768 mode than its
predecessor, and the Video7 card displays garbage on the screen in
both text and graphics modes, despite changing dip switches on the
card and jumpers on the motherboard to slow things down.  Also, when
using the video7 card, the odd and even scan lines do not mesh
properly so the display is unreadable.  I can run it in non-interlaced
mode but this requires that I use a different scan rate (so the MultiSync
3d monitor knows I am not interlacing), and the flicker is annoying.

If I knew of a board that would work off the shelf, I would just buy
it. That way I could make money instead of spending time getting the
system running.

@end ( PLEA FOR HELP )

Keith Moore / U.Tenn CS Dept / 107 Ayres Hall / Knoxville TN  37996-1301
Internet: moore@cs.utk.edu      BITNET: moore@utkvx
``Paranoia is a drug which is more dangerous than any controlled substance.''

rob@lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) (11/30/90)

In <1990Nov30.014342.3147@cs.utk.edu> moore@betelgeuse.cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore) writes:

>In article <1177@lafayet.UUCP> rob@lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) writes:

UPDATE ::
========

>>I have an Orchid ProDesigner II with a NEC 4D monitor under Open Desktop.
>>
>>I would like to use the 1024x768 mode but it is only supported on
>>the original Prodesigner.  The configuration works fine in 800x600 mode.

Except that it is interlaced.  I just received new *.xgi files from
Metagraphics that allow for non-interlaced operation at 800x600.  SCO had
no knowledge of their existance.  It took several calls to various tech
support groups to get them..  But I have them AND THEY WORK !!

>I have the same problem.  I ordered the technical reference manual
>from Orchid for this card -- which amounts to the data book on the
>ET4000 video chip.

Too bad. They should have known that it was not possible at this point.

>I think it should not be too difficult to get this working in 16 color
>mode.  256 color mode is another story - since none of the supported
>displays seem to have 256 color mode in that resolution, I have my
>doubts that the Xsight server works in that mode.

Correct.  The server wont handle 256 colors yet and it also doesnt handle
cards that use bank switching ... The Prodesigner II uses bank switching in
1024x768 mode !! Sigh... That means waiting for a new release that will
support it... The fellow at Metagraphics said that it was being developed
right now.   We will just have to wait for 1024x768 on the ProDesigner II.
The good news is that when we get it .. it will have 256 color support.

Now the question is ... When ?

Rob.  Living with 800x600x16
--
 ____    ____     ____                       Core Lab - Western Atlas Int'l INC
 \   \  /   /\   /    \     Rob              Humans     (318) 235-9431