[net.travel] US/Canada Customs

bennison@golly.DEC (03/04/85)

---
I've travelled between the US and Canada every couple of years now since
the late 50's when I travelled with my parents.  I have never carried any
proof of citizenship, have never been asked for any proof of citizenship,
have never been asked to open my trunk, have never even been asked
for a driver's license or other proof of residence.  In the old days they
asked for your place of birth.  Now they ask for citizenship.  Maybe I just
don't look suspicious.  You quite definitely do not need a passport for travel
in Canada from the US.

    				Vick Bennison
    				...decvax!decwrl!rhea!tools!bennison
    				(603) 881-2156

dcn@ihuxl.UUCP (Dave Newkirk) (03/06/85)

> I've travelled between the US and Canada every couple of years now since
> the late 50's when I travelled with my parents.  I have never carried any
> proof of citizenship, have never been asked for any proof of citizenship,
> have never been asked to open my trunk, have never even been asked
> for a driver's license or other proof of residence...
>
>     				Vick Bennison

A couple of years ago I visited Canada on an overnight camping trip from
Michigan.  My two companions bought two six-packs beer, drinking one and
leaving the second to take back to Michigan with us.  On our return to
the US, since my car carried the supplies, I declared one six-pack of beer.
I then found out that you have to be in Canada for at least two days to
be eligible to bring back ANY beer.  I was directed to the customs
inspection, where they searched our gear, took my driver's license and
my friend's (just because he walked into the building with me) to
check up on us.  After a 15 minute delay, we were allowed to leave after
paying a stiff $1.50 duty, making it a very expensive six-pack.  And I
don't even drink beer!
				Dave Newkirk, ihnp4!ihuxl!dcn
--
				Dave Newkirk, ihnp4!ihuxl!dcn

miller@nlm-mcs.ARPA (Nancy Miller) (03/06/85)

> ---
> I've travelled between the US and Canada every couple of years now since
> the late 50's when I travelled with my parents.  I have never carried any
> proof of citizenship, have never been asked for any proof of citizenship,
> have never been asked to open my trunk, have never even been asked
> for a driver's license or other proof of residence.  In the old days they
> asked for your place of birth.  Now they ask for citizenship.  Maybe I just
> don't look suspicious.  You quite definitely do not need a passport for travel
> in Canada from the US.
>
>     				Vick Bennison
>     				...decvax!decwrl!rhea!tools!bennison
>     				(603) 881-2156

I know some people aren't going to be happy with this answer, but IT DEPENDS
WHERE YOU CROSS THE BORDER.  The Canadian visitors bureau will give you the
strictest rules.  For the scoop on what happens where you will be crossing
the border, ask someone who's been, ask AAA, ask a travel agent.

 __ __
 <> <>

  `-'

Nancy Miller
(miller@nlm-mcs.arpa)

lazarus@sunybcs.UUCP (Daniel G. Winkowski) (03/09/85)

> A couple of years ago I visited Canada on an overnight camping trip from
> Michigan.  My two companions bought two six-packs beer, drinking one and
> leaving the second to take back to Michigan with us.  On our return to
> the US, since my car carried the supplies, I declared one six-pack of beer.
> I then found out that you have to be in Canada for at least two days to
> be eligible to bring back ANY beer.
>              After a 15 minute delay, we were allowed to leave after
> paying a stiff $1.50 duty, making it a very expensive six-pack.  And I
> don't even drink beer!
> 				Dave Newkirk, ihnp4!ihuxl!dcn

	I am not sure of the official regulations, but here in Buffalo
(near the Peace Bridge), we are allowed 1 case duty free from Canada/trip.
I bring beer back every summer, and have never had any time limit problems
such as the two days you mentioned. There is a 48 hour time limit for some
items, but I do not know if beer is included in that. It may be that because
of the amount of US/Canada traffic in the Buffalo area that they don't try
to enforce all of the regulations.
--
Today we live in the future,
Tomorrow we'll live for the moment,

dbrown@watarts.UUCP (Dave Brown) (03/13/85)

 Like the subject title says, maybe I was wrong about Customs always
being the same. But, I still get the feeling that it depends a lot
on who you sound and look like and how the customs man is feeling when
you come in. Oh, well.

 Oh, for anyone who is planning to come to Ontario for the next few weeks,
be warned; their is a beer strike on and beer is extremely hard to find(I
don't drink, but everybody seems to be screaming about the lack of beer
up here). By the way, for anyone thinking of importing beer fromthe U.S.
to Canada, forget it. The cost of your beer will be at least doubled
by all the duties and tariffs. And there is a strong possibility
of a nation wide beer strike by the middle of April.

Sincerely yours,

			DAVE BROWN

*********************** WHY CAN'T KITCHENER BE KNOWN FOR MORE THAN OKTOBERFEST?*

gnome@oliveb.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (03/14/85)

> > have never been asked to open my trunk, have never even been asked
> > for a driver's license or other proof of residence...
> >
> >     				Vick Bennison

> check up on us.  After a 15 minute delay, we were allowed to leave after
> paying a stiff $1.50 duty, making it a very expensive six-pack.  And I
> don't even drink beer!
> 				Dave Newkirk, ihnp4!ihuxl!dcn
> --

When I went into Canada a year or so ago, I made the mistake of bringing
a portable VCR and camera with me.  Not wanting a hassle from US customs
on my return, I pre-registered the equipment with them.  Little did I know
that the Canadian customs people are known to be some of the worst in the
world!

In order to bring my equipment across the border I had to pay 15% in taxes
JUST IN CASE I decide to sell it while I'm in Canada.  If I bring everything
back out when I leave, I get my money back!

So, after an hour and 45 minutes in customs (they had to look up everything
in a set of six loose-leaf binders and ask their supervisor regarding  the
estimated value, taxation catagory, and tariff catagory) I was on my way -
minus about $175 dollars.  Luckily the people that came to pick me up waited
for me to show up.

On the way out, I expected them to give me my taxes back in cash -- no such
luck, I had to wait 3 weeks while they cut a check for me and mailed it
to the US.  Fine, except that all of the banks in this area charge about
$8-$14 to cash a foreign check.

DON'T GET SCREWED BY CANADIAN CUSTOMS!  Bring nothing but the shirt on
your back and be careful what you buy while you are over there! They
are truly assholes!

POST NOTE:  The rock group Loverboy (Canadian) had just finished the first
part of their US tour when they started across the Canadian border with
their road-equipment.  When the customs people tried the same crap with
them, they cancelled the Canadian part of their tour and left the equipment
in the US.

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (mike upmalis) (03/18/85)

> When I went into Canada a year or so ago, I made the mistake of bringing
> a portable VCR and camera with me.  Not wanting a hassle from US customs
> on my return, I pre-registered the equipment with them.  Little did I know
> that the Canadian customs people are known to be some of the worst in the
> world!
>
> In order to bring my equipment across the border I had to pay 15% in taxes
> JUST IN CASE I decide to sell it while I'm in Canada.  If I bring everything
> back out when I leave, I get my money back!
>

> DON'T GET SCREWED BY CANADIAN CUSTOMS!  Bring nothing but the shirt on
> your back and be careful what you buy while you are over there! They
> are truly assholes!
>
> POST NOTE:  The rock group Loverboy (Canadian) had just finished the first
> part of their US tour when they started across the Canadian border with
> their road-equipment.  When the customs people tried the same crap with
> them, they cancelled the Canadian part of their tour and left the equipment
> in the US.

	I suspect that if you tried to do the same thing anywhere
in the world you would have found a similar difficulty.  Do blame
customs for your own ignorance.
	Whenever you intend to travel and bring up scale high tech
equipment across the border then check ahead.  If you had intended
to bring even a PC across the border you probably would have checked ahead?
	A customs officer is hired to discharge their duties
fairly and equitably.
	At least the Ugly American has not died. :-)
--
~~
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

srradia@watmath.UUCP (sanjay Radia) (03/18/85)

In article <8336@watarts.UUCP> mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (mike upmalis) writes:

>> When I went into Canada a year or so ago, I made the mistake of bringing
>> a portable VCR and camera with me.  Not wanting a hassle from US customs
>> on my return, I pre-registered the equipment with them.  Little did I know
>> that the Canadian customs people are known to be some of the worst in the
>> world!
>>
>> In order to bring my equipment across the border I had to pay 15% in taxes
>> JUST IN CASE I decide to sell it while I'm in Canada.  If I bring everything
>> back out when I leave, I get my money back!
>
>	I suspect that if you tried to do the same thing anywhere
>in the world you would have found a similar difficulty.  Do blame
>customs for your own ignorance.

Customs in many parts of the world endorse such equipment in the passport
and require that you show the equipment when you leave the country.
This of course requires that they check your passport at the exit port
(lot of countries do this anyway since they want to see if you have over
stayed your visas). Imagine being asked to pay 15% on your camera (many
people carry cameras and one can make a lot of money selling a camera
in many 3rd world countries).
I don't think the canadian customs are the worst in the world but this
practice is certainly stupid. Customs in most places are just after
making money - how come they charge duty on the retail price of the goods
instead of its wholesale price which is what they should do. Also,
Canadian customs will not let you pool the tax exempt allowances between
family members - again a silly unfair rule geared to collect more money.

--

		sanjay
		UUCP:	...!{ utzoo,decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!watmath!srradia

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (03/20/85)

> DON'T GET SCREWED BY CANADIAN CUSTOMS!  Bring nothing but the shirt on
> your back and be careful what you buy while you are over there! They
> are truly assholes!

Nonsense!  I've smuggled lots of things into Canada and never have had a
problem.  [OPP, please note :-) symbol]

BTW, the Canadians know what the word polite means!  Now if they could only
educate our people.

gnome@oliveb.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (03/21/85)

> > When I went into Canada a year or so ago, I made the mistake of bringing
> > a portable VCR and camera with me.  Not wanting a hassle from US customs
> > on my return, I pre-registered the equipment with them.  Little did I know
> > that the Canadian customs people are known to be some of the worst in the
> > world!
> >
> > In order to bring my equipment across the border I had to pay 15% in taxes
> > JUST IN CASE I decide to sell it while I'm in Canada.  If I bring everything
> > back out when I leave, I get my money back!
> >

> > DON'T GET SCREWED BY CANADIAN CUSTOMS!  Bring nothing but the shirt on
> > your back and be careful what you buy while you are over there! They
> > are truly assholes!
> >
> > POST NOTE:  The rock group Loverboy (Canadian) had just finished the first
> > part of their US tour when they started across the Canadian border with
> > their road-equipment.  When the customs people tried the same crap with
> > them, they cancelled the Canadian part of their tour and left the equipment
> > in the US.
>
> 	I suspect that if you tried to do the same thing anywhere
> in the world you would have found a similar difficulty.  Do blame
> customs for your own ignorance.
> 	Whenever you intend to travel and bring up scale high tech
> equipment across the border then check ahead.  If you had intended
> to bring even a PC across the border you probably would have checked ahead?
> 	A customs officer is hired to discharge their duties
> fairly and equitably.
> 	At least the Ugly American has not died. :-)
> --
> ~~
> Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

<<FLAME ON!>>
Actually, it is a case of the Canadian customs people being in the
stone age.  A three-year old camera and VCR is not "high tech".
Not only is it available in Canada, newer models tend to be released
up there for test marketing (from Sony, in particular).

What this is is a NO WIN situation.  First they take your money at the
border, sit on it until 3-4 weeks after you leave, then send you a check
that will cost you $8-15 dollars to cash.
(Remember, Canadian banks ARE foreign banks -- in the US)

It is simply a good example of a tax intensive customs/trade policy.
And when it comes to the taxes and French language laws, you'll find
no one more pissed-off than the people of Vancouver!

Eventually, the customs people will have to stop looking at VCRs
the same way they see CRAYs, as mystical high tech wonders.

Gee, flying the same stuff in & out of England (two weeks ago)
was no hassle at all! (Maybe their customs people actually have
heard about TV!)

<< FLAME OFF >> (in centigrade, of course)

mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) (03/21/85)

> > When I went into Canada a year or so ago, I made the mistake of bringing
> > a portable VCR and camera with me.  Not wanting a hassle from US customs
> > on my return, I pre-registered the equipment with them.  Little did I know
> > that the Canadian customs people are known to be some of the worst in the
> > world!
> >

> 	I suspect that if you tried to do the same thing anywhere
> in the world you would have found a similar difficulty.  Do blame
> customs for your own ignorance.
> 	At least the Ugly American has not died. :-)
> --
> ~~
> Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

How much have you traveled????? In the last 10 years, I've been around
the world, and NEVER had any trouble at all with customs....EXCEPT THE
CANADIAN FOLKS.  I've come into New York several times, LA once or twice
and Miami a few times. The worst problem I had with US customs is the
time I bought 15 kilos of coffee in Bogata, not realizing that smugglers
often bring cocaine and heroin in that way to confuse the dogs.  They
did a quick search of the Coffee, and that was it.  Canada, on the other
hand, has been nothing but problems.  Once in Toronto, and once at the
Montana border.  Because these clowns insisted on searching EACH AND
EVERY bag, it took 5 hours to clear. (in Toronto).  I also had a similar
experience with a Canon camera and lenses when "playing tourist" and
going up to the Canadian rockys via montana.  charged me 15%, and I
finally got it back after 5 or 6 months.......  Before anyone starts
flaming, please note that I am only talking about the Canadian Customs
officials, every other aspect of my trips to Canada have been very
enjoyable.

--

  Mike Stalnaker  UUCP:{decvax!grendel,cbosgd!seismo}!dolqci!mike
		  AT&T:202-376-2593

		  McCoy: "Shaddup Spock! We're Rescuing you!"
		  Spock: "Why thank you, 'Captain McCoy'"

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (03/22/85)

There have been three times I have had trouble with customs.  The one time
in Harwich (England) was my fault (a bit of misinformation from the Dutch
side:  They said I could pick up my bag in London).  The other two times
were the two times I flew into JFK.  Both flights were late, one 6 hours, the
other 11, and on both my luggage was (literally) the last off the plane.
Both times they searched through everything to find "contraband."  (All
they found was dirty underwear, I was bringing my laundry home to mom :-)
On both occaisons the customs officials were rude.  As they found nothing
to charge me for, I had nothing to pay.  On the first occaison, I was out of
the customs hall much later than everybody else; my parents were begining to
think I missed the plane.

In contrast, the times I've flown into Newark, customs was no problem, even
when I did bring an extra liter of Armagnac.  They just waved me through.

Guess which I prefer?  (Enough reason for People's Express or Virgin Atlantic,
even if they cost twice what the older carriers charge!)

PS  I do have a beard and long(ish) hair.
--
James C Armstrong, Jnr.  { ihnp4 || allegra || mcnc || cbosgb } !abnji!jca

I think he needs more than water, Peri, ay?

2141smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) (03/25/85)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA rduxb!2141smh

> What this is is a NO WIN situation.  First they take your money at the
> border, sit on it until 3-4 weeks after you leave, then send you a check
> that will cost you $8-15 dollars to cash.

You can cash any foreign check for a very modest charge for postage if
you deal with a branch of the foreign bank in the US.  I recently
cashed 3 New Zealand travelers checks by mailing them to the
Bank of New Zealand in NYC and they only charged me for their postage.
Very nice people.  These checks said, "Not to be cashed outside of New
Zealand."  I am sure you can find US banks near the border that would
perform the same service.  Away from the border, US businesses are
the most provincial in the world.  You would think that other countries
used play money the way you are treated at most banks and stores.  In
nearly any foreign country, foreign exchange is a standard and inexpensive
proposition.

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (03/25/85)

> <<FLAME ON!>>
> Actually, it is a case of the Canadian customs people being in the
> stone age.  A three-year old camera and VCR is not "high tech".
> Not only is it available in Canada, newer models tend to be released
> up there for test marketing (from Sony, in particular).
>
> It is simply a good example of a tax intensive customs/trade policy.
> And when it comes to the taxes and French language laws, you'll find
> no one more pissed-off than the people of Vancouver!
>
> Eventually, the customs people will have to stop looking at VCRs
> the same way they see CRAYs, as mystical high tech wonders.
>
> Gee, flying the same stuff in & out of England (two weeks ago)
> was no hassle at all! (Maybe their customs people actually have
> heard about TV!)
>
> << FLAME OFF >> (in centigrade, of course)

Right On!  Imagin the nerve of these people!  When are they going to realize
they are a colony and start acting like it?  Didn't you tell them you were
an American citizen?  That seems to put these third world types in their place!
What can we expect from a bunch of backwater types that sit around drinking
beer all day while they wait for their trap lines to be filled?  I mean, they
are all like the MacKennzie brothers, aren't they?  Aren't they?  They aren't?

ugsue@sunybcs.UUCP (Susan J. LoVerso) (04/01/85)

Living in Buffalo all my life, I have never had any trouble
whatsoever at the Canadian border.
--
...Sue W.
..{burdvax, rocksvax, bbncca, decvax, dual, rocksanne, watmath}!sunybcs!ugsue

Csnet: ugsue@buffalo	    	             /
Arpa: ugsue.buffalo@csnet-relay	    	   _/_
           	                         ~/\ .\
                               ~\	~/  -__\
       S M I L E!                \_____~/
	                         /\    /\
	                        /  \  /  |
                               /    \'   |
                              /      \  /

gnome@oliveb.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (04/03/85)

> Right On!  Imagin the nerve of these people!  When are they going to realize
> they are a colony and start acting like it?  Didn't you tell them you were
> an American citizen?  That seems to put these third world types in their place!
> What can we expect from a bunch of backwater types that sit around drinking
> beer all day while they wait for their trap lines to be filled?  I mean, they
> are all like the MacKennzie brothers, aren't they?  Aren't they?  They aren't?
>
> 	*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

I guess you must have a cousin that is a Canadian customs orifice, uhm, officer.

Canada is a great place, and (most) Canadians are great people.  But, as
with most countries, the problem lies at the border itself -- with the
customs people.

No, they aren't like the MacKennzie brothers!  If you have been through
the customs areas, you would know that the MacKennzies are the supervisors.

:-)

   As always, waiting to hear the sound of stamping feet...
(Actually, since this discussion is getting to be as useful as the Customs
  people I was referring to, the only place to continue this should be
  in net.flame and nowhere else.  I sure hope that this suggestion doesn't
  get anyone angry...)

From an English colony...