[comp.windows.x.motif] libXt.a is it motif or is it X?

epstein@trwacs.UUCP (Jeremy Epstein) (12/11/90)

In article <679@seqp4.UUCP>, ajm@seqp4.ORG (A.J.Madison) writes:
> it would appear that X has a library named libXt.a, and that Motif has a
> library named libXt.a.  i *think* that the Motif edition is the X11 library
> with the Motif Xt extensions added to it.
>
> a) is this assumption correct?  if so, is there anything to look
> out for in merely substituting the Motif version for the X11 version?

For Motif 1.0, the libXt.a was actually different than the X11 version.
For Motif 1.1, if you've installed all of the MIT patches, then they
are identical.  In other words, if you're completely up to date, then
you don't need the Motif version of libXt.a

--Jeremy
--
Jeremy Epstein			UUCP: uunet!trwacs!epstein
Trusted X Research Group	Internet: epstein@trwacs.fp.trw.com

> Why should the presence of Vendor.o in two libraries make any difference?

The Sun model of shared libraries is that they are just like linked libraries,
except that you get them at runtime.  The Apollo model is that the library
may or may not be around at linktime, all you are doing is promising that
*something* will be around at runtime to resolve the symbol.  The something
might be globally loaded when the machine boots, loaded the first time
a program trys to reference it, loaded explicitly from a file specified
at link time, or preloaded by the user in the context of the current shell
(I can just say "inlib foo" and promptly get a whole new library context
for any program I run subsequently)  The "load explictly from a file specified
at link time" is closest to the Sun model, and I can get by with two versions of the
routines in Vendor.o in that case.  However if I want to use load on reference it
clearly won't work, since the reference is ambiguous.  Additionally I'm
working in an environment where everything else is R3, so it's easiest if
I bind Xm, Xt and even X11 into a single shared library; and I can't have
duplicate references there either.  Thus the question.

				-kee