[comp.windows.x.motif] Can the display of the coordinate window be turned off?

knicklej@Software.Mitel.COM (Jane Knickle) (12/11/90)

Is there a way to turn off the display of the coordinate window, which appears
in the center of the screen when the user moves a window?

We are using Motif 1.0 and X11R3, if that makes a difference.

( P.S. Please use the mail address below, the one in the header may not be
correct. )

Thanks,

Jane Knickle
Mitel Enterprises
Mitel Corporation, 350 Legget Drive, Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2K 1X3
Mail: uunet!mitel!spock!knicklej

bonnett@seismo.CSS.GOV (H. David Bonnett) (12/11/90)

In article <5687@knicklej>, knicklej@Software.Mitel.COM (Jane Knickle) writes:

|>Is there a way to turn off the display of the coordinate window,which appears
|> in the center of the screen when the user moves a window?
|>
|> We are using Motif 1.0 and X11R3, if that makes a difference.

It appears from the change markers in the docs that this may be new to 1.1
but the mwm man page lists the showFeedback resource (class ShowFeedback).
(see portion of man pg below...)
	[This is borrowed w/o written permission,but it states the solution 	more concisely than I can at this time of night (3:30am) ]

I hope this is of some help.

-dave bonnett; Center for Seismic Studies
      bonnett@seismo.css.gov
  *I most surely do not speak for anyone but myself.*

****-Long text follows -- Hit N to skip -- *****

^L

     showFeedback (class ShowFeedback)
             This resource controls when feedback information  is
             displayed.   It  controls  both  window position and
             size feedback during move or resize  operations  and
             initial  client  placement.  It also controls window
             manager message and dialog boxes.

             The  value  for  this resource is a list of names of
             the feedback options to be enabled or disabled;  the
             names must be separated by a space.  If an option is
             preceded by a minus sign, that  option  is  excluded
             from  the  list.   The sign of the first item in the
             list determines the initial set of options.  If  the
             sign  of  the first option is minus, mwm assumes all
             options are present and starts subtracting from that
             set.   If  the  sign of the first decoration is plus
             (or not specified), mwm starts with no  options  and
             builds up a list from the resource.

            The names of the feedback options are shown below:

           Name                       Description
         all______|__Show_all_feedback_(Default_value)______________|
         behavior |  Confirm behavior switch                        |
         _________|_________________________________________________
         kill_____|__Confirm_on_receipt_of_KILL_signal______________|
         move     |  Show position during move                      |
         _________|_________________________________________________
         none_____|__Show_no_feedback_______________________________|
         placement|  Show position and size during initial placement|
         _________|_________________________________________________
         quit_____|__Confirm_quitting_MWM___________________________|
         resize   |  Show size during resize                        |
         _________|_________________________________________________|
         restart  |  Confirm MWM restart                            |

             The  following  command  line illustrates the syntax
             for showFeedback:

                Mwm*showFeedback: placement resize behavior restart

             This  resource  specification  provides feedback for
             initial client placement and resize, and enables the
             dialog boxes to confirm the restart and set behavior
             functions.  It disables feedback for the move  func-
             tion.

             The default value for this resource is all.

meeks@osf.org (W. Scott Meeks) (12/12/90)

>Is there a way to turn off the display of the coordinate window, which appears
>in the center of the screen when the user moves a window?

Yep, use the showFeedback resource.  For example, if you set

Mwm*showFeedback: placement resize behavior restart

the coordinate window will not display for the move function but it will
for initial client placement and resize.  More information about this
resource and possible values can be found in the OSF/Motif Programmer's
Guide on page II.4-29.  If you have any questions, please fell free to ask
me.

W. Scott Meeks
Open Software Foundation
meeks@osf.org