[comp.windows.x.motif] applying fix-osf patch

alfred@unisql.UUCP (Alfred Correira) (12/12/90)

{Pardon if this has been asked/answered before; I'm just now getting around
 to it.}

I have an X11R4 source tree that is patched through fix-18.  When I apply
the fix-osf patch (which only touches lib/Xt/TMstate.c) only one of the three
patches ``takes.''  As for the other two, it kind of looks like one of them
was fixed in TMstate but in a different manner and the third one I just
can't tell.  Can anyone else who has done this or just knows what the score
is for these patches tell me if I can just ignore the failed patch pieces,
whether I have to sort of reverse engineer them in somehow, or whether I
will have to bite the bullet and create a second X11R4 source tree patched
only to fix-14 plus the offending fix-osf patch?

My notion was to save space by having a simple config switch that would
swap out my site.def file (so that I can change the target for the library
files and maintain separate unpatched and patched X libs) and this TMstate.c
file such that a make World would build either the bare X11R4 or the Motif
patched X11R4 with different install targets.  This isn't going to work
very well if I can't use the X11R4 through fix-18 source tree for both
versions ...
--
alfred
Internet: execu!sequoia!unisql!alfred@cs.utexas.edu

  The government I live under has been my enemy all my active life.
  When it has not been engaged in silencing me it has been engaged in
  robbing me.  So far as I can recall I have never had any contact with
  it that was not an outrage on my dignity and an attack on my security.
	-- from The Diary of H. L. Mencken

dbrooks@penge.osf.org (David Brooks) (12/12/90)

In article <1027@unisql.UUCP> alfred@unisql.UUCP (Alfred Correira) writes:

>I have an X11R4 source tree that is patched through fix-18.  When I apply
>the fix-osf patch (which only touches lib/Xt/TMstate.c) only one of the three
>patches ``takes.''

fix-osf is entirely and completely superseded by the MIT official
fix-17.  If you have applied fix-osf, back it out before applying fix-17.
If you have Motif 1.1, you can use the standard X11R4 intrinsics.
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks