[comp.windows.x.motif] osf Keysyms and a mild flame

tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) (12/14/90)

A few days back, I posted a query to this august form.  To summarize,
after installing motif 1.1, my applications broke because they couldn't
find the new 'osf*' motif keysyms.  Why, I wondered.  No response from
the newsgroup.

I looked at the VirtualBindings motif man page, (excerpted below) and
it seemed to say that the .motifbind needed to be set up, or some such.
Doing that produced no results.

Well, plowing through Xm source, then Xt source, then Xlib (!) source
revealed that widget Init calls were calling XtParseTranslations which was
eventually calling XStringToKeysym with something like "osfUp", and Xlib was
saying "Huh?" and Xt was saying "bletch" and my Motif applications were
without benefit of keystrokes.

The SOLUTION:

Further perusal of the Xlib source revealed that I was missing the file
/usr/lib/X11/XKeysymDB.  Somehow it hadn't got installed when installing
motif.  Dropped it in and everything was fine.

I must say that it is mildly irritating that nobody from OSF bothered
to respond to the original posting, when the problem is totally obvious once
one understands how XStringToKeysym really works (I didn't want to, but I
do now).  I am rather more heavily pissed that nowhere in the motif
documentation (at least in a form accessible to grep(1)) is there any
info on how to make the osf* keysyms visible in the first place so that
the virtual bindings can start to take effect.

In this connection, the excerpt below from the VirtualBindings man page
is rather misleading, and should be fixed, I think:

>        Bindings for osf Keysyms
>          Keysym strings that begin with "osf" are not part of the X
>          server's keyboard mapping.  Instead, these keysyms are
>          produced on the client side at run time and are used by the
>          translation manager when the server delivers an actual key
>          event.  A mapping is maintained between "osf" keysyms and
>          actual keysyms.  This mapping is based on information
>          obtained from one of the following sources, listed in order
> (several sources listed; no mention of /usr/lib/X11/XKeysymDB)

In fact, as part of translation SETUP, the osf* keysyms are fed, by
name, straight to the Xlib code, which therefore has to know about them.

Cheers, Tim Bray (tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu)

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec14.145313.5210@watdragon.waterloo.edu> tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) writes:
>A few days back, I posted a query to this august form.  To summarize,
>after installing motif 1.1, my applications broke because they couldn't
>find the new 'osf*' motif keysyms.  Why, I wondered.  No response from
>the newsgroup.

Though I'm not OSF, I did send you email with the solution; I'm surprised
to hear that you didn't get it, because it certainly never bounced.

Perhaps you'd like to have your SA check your mail software?

I also rewound news and saw that David Brooks, one OSFs support people,
also posted a reply in comp.windows.x.motif.  One might wonder why he
didn't send you a direct response (maybe he did?) but the fact of the
matter is, he tried.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

Offensive quote coming soon to a .signature file near you.

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec14.160932.27142@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov>, kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley	) writes:
|> In article <1990Dec14.145313.5210@watdragon.waterloo.edu> tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) writes:
|> >A few days back, I posted a query to this august form.  To summarize,
|> >after installing motif 1.1, my applications broke because they couldn't
|> >find the new 'osf*' motif keysyms.  Why, I wondered.  No response from
|> >the newsgroup.
|>
|> I also rewound news and saw that David Brooks, one OSFs support people,
|> also posted a reply in comp.windows.x.motif.  One might wonder why he
|> didn't send you a direct response (maybe he did?) but the fact of the
|> matter is, he tried.

Thankyou Kaleb.

Tim Bray also writes:

|> I must say that it is mildly irritating that nobody from OSF bothered
|> to respond to the original posting, when the problem is totally obvious once

This newsgroup and mailing list is not run by OSF, and has no formal
connection with OSF, although several of us try to keep up with it.
In particular, it isn't OSF's support channel.  With our limited
resources, we (try to) keep up with support requests from those of our
licensees who have paid for a support contract and then, if we have
the time, with people who address questions to us directly.  On top of
all that, we do answer questions in the public forums.  I must say that
it is mildly irritating to be criticized thus.

|> I am rather more heavily pissed that nowhere in the motif
|> documentation (at least in a form accessible to grep(1)) is there any
|> info on how to make the osf* keysyms visible in the first place so that
|> the virtual bindings can start to take effect.

Assuming you are a source licensee, and you are in charge of
installing the system, the minimum you should do is read the release
notes; in particular section 6.3.1.

dbrooks@penge 510$ grep -i keysym ch06.ot toc.ot
ch06.ot:       ./lib/Xm/XKeysymDB contains OSF virtual keysyms.  If you
ch06.ot:       include the OSF keysyms, the installation procedure (make
toc.ot:           3.14  Mnemonic Type Changed to KeySym.............   3-7
toc.ot:                 6.3.1  XKeysymDB............................   6-4

--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks