[comp.windows.x.motif] What does compliance mean?

tbray@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) (12/17/90)

Perusing my way bck and forth through the motif docs, I haven't run
across any discussion of what "motif-compliant" means.  Since we are
about to begin commercializing a product that was developed with motif,
and would like to leverage a bit off the "Motif" and "OSF" names, this
question is important.  We could call up OSF and ask, but I would think
the answer is of general import to readers here.

Specifically: does OSF have an application compliance validation service?  If
not, am I free to go ahead and advertise the thing as "Motif-based"?  Suppose
I do and there turn out to be some departures from "must"* clauses in the
Style Guide?  If these departures are honest oversights?  If the departures
are because I didn't even read the Style Guide?  If the departures are
well-known but deliberately left in, after serious agonizing, because the
unusual requirements of the application seem to mandate it?

Tim Bray, tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec17.135351.5769@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, tbray@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) writes:
|> Perusing my way bck and forth through the motif docs, I haven't run
|> across any discussion of what "motif-compliant" means.  Since we are
|> about to begin commercializing a product that was developed with motif,
|> and would like to leverage a bit off the "Motif" and "OSF" names, this
|> question is important.  We could call up OSF and ask, but I would think
|> the answer is of general import to readers here.

The place to call in OSF, initially, is always OSF Direct.  You can
call +1(617)621-7300, or email direct@osf.org and ask for the Level
One Certification Checklist.

The process is one of self-certification.  It tests only the
appearance and behavior of the application against Motif style; you
don't have to use our reference implementation to achieve it.

The product will also be put in our reference listing.  There's a
one-time fee of $250.

|> Specifically: does OSF have an application compliance validation service?  If
|> not, am I free to go ahead and advertise the thing as "Motif-based"?

According to the master license agreement, you can't use any OSF
identifying mark unless you have done a certification.

|> Suppose
|> I do and there turn out to be some departures from "must"* clauses in the
|> Style Guide?  If these departures are honest oversights?  If the departures
|> are because I didn't even read the Style Guide?  If the departures are
|> well-known but deliberately left in, after serious agonizing, because the
|> unusual requirements of the application seem to mandate it?

To cover all the above, there is a waiver procedure detailed in the
checklist paperwork.
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

marbru@attc.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (12/19/90)

In article <17371@paperboy.OSF.ORG> dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) writes:
>In article <1990Dec17.135351.5769@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, tbray@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) writes:
>
>The place to call in OSF, initially, is always OSF Direct.  You can
>call +1(617)621-7300, or email direct@osf.org and ask for the Level
>One Certification Checklist.

   What IF the "Level One Certification Checklist" was
   - included with Motif source/documentation
   - available via electronic mail

   ( I lost my copy again ... )

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                           {...}sunpeaks!auto-trol!marbru