[comp.windows.x.motif] Child Process Realization

john@quonset.cfht.hawaii.edu (12/15/90)

Is there a Motif/Xt/Xlib call that can take a process
id and determine if it has a window mapped?  Should
not the window manager be able to supply such
information ( I can't seem to find out much detail
on WM_PROTOCOLS concerning this issue).

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

 John Kerr                      Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope Corp.
 Computer Sys. Engineer         INTERNET: john@cfht.hawaii.edu
                                BITNET:   john@uhcfht

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (12/27/90)

john@quonset.cfht.hawaii.edu writes:
> Is there a Motif/Xt/Xlib call that can take a process
> id and determine if it has a window mapped?  Should
> not the window manager be able to supply such
> information ( I can't seem to find out much detail
> on WM_PROTOCOLS concerning this issue).

Since you are spawning the child process, I assume you know what
the application is you're starting.  You can always walk down the
window tree using standard Xlib calls and check the properties on
each window it finds looking for the one associated with your
child process.  Note that you might have a problem if there are
multiple copies off that application running.
--
dan
O'Reilly && Associates   argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com