[comp.windows.x.motif] Motif SHARED libaries... Is it possible?

harrison@necssd.NEC.COM (Mark Harrison) (12/20/90)

We have a problem... our XVT/XM applications, when linked with
our Motif libraries are just over ONE MEG (!!!) each.

We are on Sun-4 sparc machines.  Is it possible to make these
libaries shared by compiling the source with "cc -bdynamic"
option?  I am not primarily interested in saving memory
(although that would be nice), but in saving disk space.

I don't have the source, but will be happy to buy it if we can
solve our disk space problem.  (anyone from OSF listening? :-)

If you don't have shared libraries, how do you handle these
big executables?

Please copy me by email if you follow up here, Our newsfeed
is occasionally "odd".

Thanks in advance,
Mark.
--
Mark Harrison             harrison@necssd.NEC.COM
(214)518-5050             {necntc, cs.utexas.edu}!necssd!harrison

sivan@bpa_su10.Sbi.Com (Sivan Mahadevan) (12/20/90)

In article <593@necssd.NEC.COM>, harrison@necssd.NEC.COM (Mark Harrison) writes:

> We are on Sun-4 sparc machines.  Is it possible to make these
> libaries shared by compiling the source with "cc -bdynamic"
> option?  I am not primarily interested in saving memory
> (although that would be nice), but in saving disk space.
>
> Mark Harrison             harrison@necssd.NEC.COM

The OSF ships motif 1.1 source with makefiles that build shared
libraries (although they claim that they have not tested them).

We've build Motif 1.0.3 (with some of our modifications) shared and
have had no problems (Sparc with SunOS 4.0.3 and 4.1 and a set of
very, very large Motif applications).

--
Sivan Mahadevan
Salomon Brothers Inc	Bond Portfolio Analysis		Analytical Applications Group

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (12/31/90)

wwang@osf.org ("Weidong Wang from OSF") writes:

>Yes, it is possible. But it is not as easy as just specifying -bdynamic.

>It is tricky, though.

>Of course we are listening.

Is the procedure for building shared libraries well documented?  If not,
can you provide some tips?  Motif source is supposed to arrive here Real
Soon Now.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu