[comp.windows.x.motif] sometimes I cannot resize my XmLabel widgets to the size I want

marbru@attc.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (01/08/91)

In article <11227@cae780.csi.com> digger@csi.com  (Doug Selph) writes:
>	The GeometryManager of the axis widget says 'XtGeomentryNo'
>all the time.  The axis parent widget wants full control over
>all it's label children, all the time, no exceptions.

   May be we need a more detailed description of what you are trying
   to do.
   Is it the "axis" widget that is creating and controlling your
   labels ? Or are the labels put up by some other widget ?

   I would *think* that your axis widget creates and controls labels
   using XtConfigureWidget. The Geometry manager in your axis widget
   must respond to geometry requests from your labels.
   Those come as a result of SetValues on the label, and since I'v
   seen (and wrote) widgets that for some reasons munge geometry both
   in "new" and "current" instance, my geometry managers ALWAYS
   configure widgets, even when they respond with XtGeometryNo.
   (Note XtConfigureWidget will do nothing if the geometry does not change).

   Also. Your geometry manager should NOT use XtQueryGeometry on the
   child requesting a change. You can do it in ChangeManaged (but keep
   on mind that Motif widgets not always return waht you would expect,
   even though I was beaten on this subject -).

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                           {...}sunpeaks!auto-trol!marbru

dmbeal@uswnvg.UUCP (Dave Beal) (01/09/91)

I am developing a Motif compliant application and am following the
OSF Motif style guide. The style guide specifies what a HELP menu should
look like, but not what should happen after you make a selection from
the HELP menu. I am going to have the HELP menu selections work the
same way MS windows and IBM OS/2 PM work.

Can anyone suggest a MOTIF "compliant" application which I could look at
to see how the HELP menus behave?