[comp.windows.x.motif] Context Sensitive Help

nana@opal.bellcore.com (Ana M. Swanson) (01/09/91)

Well,
I received some replies as to how to do this, but nothing seems to work.
So, I'll repost to see if there are any takers.

I'm using Motif 1.1 on a Sun SPARCstation, developing context
sensitive help for an application.  The problem is I can't get non-selectable
widgets like labels and drawing areas to respond to their help callbacks.
Only the selectable widgets, like push buttons, text and scale widgets
respond to their help callbacks.  It seems as if the selected
widgets grabs and interprets *any* help callbacks
preventing the other non-selectable widgets from theirs!

I've tried to define and use translations to get around it with no success.
Any ideas?  *ALL* appreciated!

Thanks!
Ana Swanson
nana@opal.bellcore.com

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Kee Hinckley) (01/09/91)

> respond to their help callbacks.  It seems as if the selected
> widgets grabs and interprets *any* help callbacks
> preventing the other non-selectable widgets from theirs!
>
> I've tried to define and use translations to get around it with no success.
> Any ideas?  *ALL* appreciated!

As far as I can tell the help callback *always* goes to the
widget with the keyboard focus.  This makes it impossible to
get help on anything that doesn't get the focus, and it also
makes mouse-based help impossible.  I've complained about this
but I haven't heard an answer either.

tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) (01/09/91)

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>As far as I can tell the help callback *always* goes to the
>widget with the keyboard focus.

Right.

>  This makes it impossible to
>get help on anything that doesn't get the focus, and it also
>makes mouse-based help impossible.

No, just difficult; you just can't rely on the help callback mechanism.
You have to find the mouse, associate its location with a piece of your
application, and then do the help.