[comp.windows.x.motif] What is the purpose of translation

paul@tredysvr.Tredydev.Unisys.COM (Paul Siu) (01/09/91)

What is the purpose of the translation manager, it does not seem to work in a
useful manner.  I am writing a terminal emulator, and I figure I can modify
the behavior of the text widget by overriding certain translations.
Unfortunately, overriding a single translation often break all of the other
translations.  Am I wrong in my assumption that I can modify a widget by
modifying the translation?

Paul Siu
paul@tredysvr.tredydev.unisys.com

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Kee Hinckley) (01/09/91)

> What is the purpose of the translation manager, it does not seem to work in a
> useful manner.  I am writing a terminal emulator, and I figure I can modify
> the behavior of the text widget by overriding certain translations.
> Unfortunately, overriding a single translation often break all of the other
> translations.  Am I wrong in my assumption that I can modify a widget by
> modifying the translation?

From what I've seen in previoius postings, overriding a translation
(other than in the code, after the widget is created) will
cause no other translations to ever be added, due to Motif
quirks.  Thus the Motif widget will have no translations (other
than the one you just added).  I haven't heard of a workaround.

Others should no better - is this the correct summary?

bonnett@seismo.CSS.GOV (H. David Bonnett) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan8.200305@wsl.dec.com>, klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:

|> Can you give an example of this?  Changing translations through my
|> .Xdefaults works fine for me.

Ken,
 Try using a .motifbind file and add a binding for something other than
F1 (osfHelp). Restart mwm and see if the context sensitive help works for
you.  I lost this binding until I added it into the file.

-dave bonnett;Center for Seismic Studies, Arlington, VA
      bonnett@seismo.CSS.GOV-